Reputation System

BainIhrno

I did finish the first round of Alpha testing for Of Good and Evil in BoA. I think I have one half of the scenario almost ready (it's a scenario that splits into two directions), so after I test the other half and both halves again to make sure everything runs smoothly, I'll probably make a beta call.

I've been torn though about how I want to handle the reputation system in the scenario. One option is to create a custom ability to allow the player to know their reputation at any given time. Another option is to not include such an ability, and challenge the player to figure it out for themselves. Finally, I could include the option, but only include a ballpark estimate of the party's reputation.

The effects your reputation has in the scenario (spoilers):

- Many (not all) shopkeepers adjust prices based on your reputation.

- One shop only sells if your reputation is high enough

- One shop stops selling if your reputation is too low.

- The ending will be slightly different based on your reputation. Additionally, if you max out your reputation (i.e. do all good deeds and no bad deeds), you get a material reward).

- If your reputation dips too low, the scenario will end prematurely (because your party clearly can't be trusted).

So I'm wondering, since I can't seem to decide, what would players enjoy more in regards to knowing/not knowing their reputation? Thanks.

I vote for not making it explicit. If I run about doing bad stuff, I know that my reputation is going to suffer.

If you are going to keep it from the player, though, you should include a message that informs them that reputation is being tracked - maybe the first time they do something which affects their reputation score? I'd also be tempted to give them a warning when their reputation is almost at the point where they'll be booted.