A more IDE feel to the BoA 3D Editor

Ishad Nha

I am not too sure how this could be achieved, I have attempted two ideas below:

(1) If you want to examine a particular state in a town or outdoor zone script, you could have a new window open with the relevant script opened at the state concerned.

(2) If the Editor can print out data arrays for BoA objects* then it can display them in a dialog screen. It will only deal with variables found in the Spiderweb documentation.

*I have altered the single-window 3D Editor for Windows so that it can take all the important data for for BoA objects (floor, terrain, creature and item types) and print it out to a text file.

It could write data from the dialog screen to the scenario data script. Writing into the data script will require finding where the entry should go. This would produce a longer record for each object than if written manually by the scenario designer. I know that there is a very definite limit to the length of the scenario script, I don't know if the same holds true for the scenario data script.

If there is a definite and troublesome limit to the length of the data script something needs to be done to condense the records written by the 3D Editor:

One approach is to have the default values for an object variable not written to the data file. Default values are listed in Part 1 of the official Spiderweb Editor documentation. Trouble is that at least some of the time the default values might actually be needed.

Another approach is to have the designer go through the records and condense them manually.

I can easily devise printouts that show the characteristics for each object. So far I have done printouts for floor and terrain types, now I am working on creatures.

Floor characteristic fl_ed_icon_adjust is not mentioned in the documentation from what I can see, its default value is 0.

The terrain characteristic te_full_move_block seems not to occur in the source code anywhere. Hence it is only a function of the four characteristics te_move_block_e, te_move_block_n, te_move_block_s and te_move_block_w.

Likewise te_full_look_block is only a function of its four constituent characteristics: te_look_block_e, te_look_block_n, te_look_block_s, te_look_block_w. Apart from te_full_move_block and te_full_look_block all of the other terrain characteristics are found in the source code.