Attention, cadets!

Dintiradan

You call that attention? Feh, it will have to do.

As you know, the Refugian Navy has promoted me to the rank of Admiral, and is having me oversee this training program. Something about "causing less damage this way". How was I supposed to know the Kobawhatsit Maroon didn't have any weapons when I ordered it to attack? Or shields? But I digress.

As recruits in the new Artemis program, your job is to familiarize yourselves with the workings of this new class of vessel. I have prepared

on each of the five bridge stations. Of course, most of you won't find work on the bridge, but I think it's important for everyone, even you space janitors, to have career aspirations.

Remember, you may be called into service at any time. But take heart: whatever the threat may be, I am willing to put wave after wave of fresh recruits at the disposal of the Refugian Navy.

All right, cadets, here's your moment to shine. Or rather, your moment to shine and my moment to take all the credit.

We're preparing for a shakedown cruise this evening, and we're looking for a few good cadets to operate the bridge stations. The rest of you will be working on the Damage Control teams. You can find your red uniforms in the box here. Bridge officers, report to the ready room at 7:00 Mountain time for assignment. The more enterprising of you may wish to outfit yourselves with the latest communication software, and perhaps experiment with the basic simulation. The mission is expected to be a safe one, but enemies are in the area, so you never know if they might be aroused by our presence.

What's that, Kif?

"Roused by our presence"? Well, that too.

One other thing. The Artemis will be carrying a reporter on its first mission. Diana Hollers or something. She'll be broadcasting the mission, so make us look good. And by us, I mean me.

What's that?

Not her name? Well, it will be after she meets the Velour Fog.

(Out of character, since some clarification might be needed: we're trying to play Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator tonight at 7:00 Mountain. You can get the demo here (Windows only, sorry), though we'll be playing the full version of the game. Meet me in CalRef chat if you want a download link. Artemis is relatively easy to pick up, but

. We'll be communicating via Mumble, if you own a mic. If you can't play, Sy will be livestreaming.)

*runs quickly to other direction*

p.s. its kobayashi maru if you are referring what James Tiberius Kirk did (or will do since technically its ~100 years in future).

He was in character. Clearly you need to watch more Futurama. It's a THOUSAND years in the future, not a measly hundred.

Also, StarTrek is in the 23rd century, so it's at least 200 years in the future.

(Alright, our first evening was mostly a success. Sylae, Iffy, and myself flew several missions. We had some computer problems, so the livestream wasn't up for most of it -- though you can watch a bit of gameplay here: http://www.twitch.tv...olt/b/380276555, skip to 43:00. Things were fun though very much a learning experience. We'd love to have more people the next time we do this, so we can have a full crew of six.)

EDIT: Sy, Iffy, I found shortcuts! http://artemiswiki.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/59398847/Artemis_Player_Aids.zip

• 4 months later...
(Out of character, since some clarification might be needed: we're trying to play Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator tonight at 7:00 Mountain. You can get the demo here (Windows only, sorry), though we'll be playing the full version of the game. Meet me in CalRef chat if you want a download link. Artemis is relatively easy to pick up, but
. We'll be communicating via Mumble, if you own a mic. If you can't play, Sy will be livestreaming.)
Hello all, I'm thinking of trying to start this up again. If the idea of cooperatively fighting in a spaceship a la Star Trek interests you, let me know what times work for you here (MDT evenings are open for me). It's a Windows game, but emulating may be a possibility, I dunno. There's really no limit to the number of people: we can have more than one ship if we get over six people. There may or may not be a livestream for this session that may or may not happen.

Quick update: right now we've got me, Lilith, Nalyd, Iffy, and Sylae; enough for one person per station. That's playable right there, though one more person means we could have a dedicated captain. Of course, more than six are welcome, because then we can have multiple ships. Or, more likely, cover for drop-outs, but let's stay optimistic.

I'm gonna tentatively schedule a session on Friday, July 26, 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM (Sylae, let me know if this works -- I'm going off of what you told me and not what you have on WhenIsGood). It took us a while to get going last time, but even then two hours should be long enough for at least one game.

Technical question here: anyone know of a Windows application which captures audio from a specific application and streams it?

Artemis is primarily designed for LAN parties, not online gaming. Some sounds (music, engines, being hit by enemies) are only played by the server, not each client. This means that only the person hosting the server will hear all these extra sounds. This isn't a dealbreaker; the game is still playable. But if we play this game on a regular basis, we might want to start checking out the third-party missions, some of which have recorded messages from NPC ships, and other stuff. In that case, we might want to have something extra in place.

Technical question here: anyone know of a Windows application which captures audio from a specific application and streams it?

Artemis is primarily designed for LAN parties, not online gaming. Some sounds (music, engines, being hit by enemies) are only played by the server, not each client. This means that only the person hosting the server will hear all these extra sounds. This isn't a dealbreaker; the game is still playable. But if we play this game on a regular basis, we might want to start checking out the third-party missions, some of which have recorded messages from NPC ships, and other stuff. In that case, we might want to have something extra in place.

Virtual Audio Cable should be able to do this for you. Basically, what you want to do is:

1. Set up two virtual audio cables, Line 1 and Line 2. The default settings for the cables should be fine, probably.

2. Set Line 1 as your default audio playback device in your system settings. (It would be better to just configure Artemis to use Line 1 as its audio playback device, but I don't see a configuration option for that.)

3. Use the included Audio Repeater software to feed Line 1 into Line 2.

4. Run a second instance of Audio Repeater to feed your mic into Line 2. Line 2 is now a mix of PC audio and mic audio.

5. Run a third instance of Audio Repeater to feed Line 1 into your speakers.

6. Make sure you configure Mumble to use Line 2 as its audio input device, and your speakers as its audio output device.

Now, all of your system audio except for the audio from Mumble is going through Line 1, which is being sent through your speakers, while at the same time it's also being mixed with your mic audio via Line 2 and sent through Mumble to the rest of us. If you've done everything correctly, you should be able to hear the game audio and it should also be broadcast over Mumble along with your voice, without causing feedback.

The only minor issue is if you have any noisy applications running other than Artemis and Mumble, in which case you'll have to configure them to use your speakers as their playback device too unless you want us to hear them.

Note that here are two versions of Audio Repeater in the VAC folder: the Kernel Streaming version is the one I use, and it works fine for me. If the audio starts to sound choppy or scratchy, increase the buffer size: 100 milliseconds has worked well for me in the past.

Okay, never mind, I found a workaround. I've posted it (and a few other resources) on this very messy page.

Everyone, this is your not-quite-twenty-four-hour warning: We'll be playing this evening at 7:00 PM MDT. I'll be idling in both Calref and Mumble chat before that. Anyone else who wants to play, let me know soon. If there's a livestream, we'll link it here.

@Sylae: If you can't make it, could you remind me how to set up port forwarding again? I was testing it tonight, and couldn't seem to get it to work.

Well, the rest of us are from North America, and pretty much every non-North American accent sounds the same, right? No worries.

But yeah, that was a blast. A few hiccups -- hosting problems, mic feedback, no audio on the livestream. But still, we were able to spend the majority of our time kicking ass and taking names.

Speaking of that livestream, you can find it here.

Now time to look up some missions to try, because clearly we're too awesome for the standard setup.

• 3 weeks later...

http://whenisgood.net/artemis3

That's right; We're doing this again! Highlight the times that work for you; I'm available most evenings at 7:00 MDT.

There's a good chance we'll be playing with the newly released version 2.0. Things will be new for everyone, so now's a good time for newcomers to join the fleet.

Alright, so currently we've got Lilith, Sarachim, Sylae, Iffy, and myself -- enough for one ship, with someone doing double-duty as captain. I know there are others who have played before. If you're interested, and can make one of the times below, please fill out the calender. It would be good to know how many people to expect; that way we know if we have to set up extra channels on Mumble for multiple ships.

Potential times we'll be playing:

- Fri. Aug. 23 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

- Fri. Aug. 30 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

- Sat. Aug. 31 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

- Fri. Sep. 6 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

- Sat. Sep. 7 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

(All times are MDT)

Still tentative, depending on Path of Shadows and Sylae's surprise schedule.

We'll be playing with version 2.0. You'll have to uninstall your old version and install the new one located at http://dintiradan.ermarian.net/protected/artemis/installer2.exe (same username/password as before, PM me if you forget/haven't played before).

Should have posted this sooner, but forgot. Tomorrow is off the table due to Bloodstained Sky conflicts; so I'm arbitrarily picking Fri. Aug. 30 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM (MDT) as the date and time for the next Artemis session (two hours isn't a hard limit, but we will be losing people after that time). Let me know if any conflicts come up.

Currently we only have five players. Six will give us a full crew, seven will let us play with a GM, and eight or more will make co-op or PvP a possibility.

This is your twenty-two hour warning everyone. Artemis will be leaving spacedock at one quarter impulse power at Fri. Aug. 30 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM (MDT).

Be there or be... somewhere else, I guess.

EDIT: Also, a reminder: Please install the new version of Artemis if you have not done so already.

I didn't spawn a minefield in your location. I teleported you to a preexisting minefield. Much more elegant.

But yeah, that was fun.

So, a couple of things. First, I've updated my Artemis resources page. It has a few more links now, including one for engineering presets. I've tested it: it does in fact work for 2.0.Second, calender. Not sure how soon people want to play again, but better the calender is available sooner rather than later.