Random Questions

Dark Sniper

The forums are quiet, and have been for a long time, because nobody has anything to say. Blades is an old game, which, unfortunately, means that it is not as popular as other, newer games.

The Nethergate (and Exile) forum is more or less the same. Occasionally somebody will play through these games, and have something to ask or say, but otherwise they just sit quietly.

There's a difference between topic drift (the conversation gradually shifts away from the topic that was originally proposed) and topic hijacking (one member suddenly forces the discussion into something irrelevant). The former is fine, and the latter is frowned upon. You've crossed the line.

This is a useful topic. Don't derail it with discussion of random things. If you want to talk about random things, go to General.

[Note that this post was from before the topic split.]

Witty titles, but it's not always obvious why a member got/has their particular one.

Witty but nonsensical is kind of the point of custom title, though. (Or at least the point of the very old titles handed out by Drakefyre. The newer ones given out by global mods tend to make more sense.)

That's why Dikiyoba has no custom title, really. Dikiyoba is clearly not nearly nonsensical enough. ;)

Ok, I have one more question about save games.

How can you decrypt save games in Avernum?

EDIT: Also, I just might be guessing. Does Alorael have the most posts in the whole spiderweb?

I saw his title Postmaster General before becoming a mod.

Also the new spiderweb update remove ALL my early notification and past PMs. Is this a bug?

I'm not sure what you mean by "decrypt." What do you want to do with the save file? It's not going to be rendered in human-readable form without someone writing another program to interpret the data.

—Alorael, whose title is still "Postmaster General" in his heart. And "Postaroni, Pizzabella!" in his nightmares.

I saw Enraged Slith mentioning something with 'decrypting' here:- http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/19103-inventory-bug-lost-items/. I have read this topic earlier today that. If you have disabled character editor and a hard found item has lost. (Except Blades of Avernum, where you can use the editor) eg. In Avernum 3, you lost the black halberd and have turned off the character editor, then you can 'decrypt' the save file to recover the item. I am wandering if it can done too in games Avernum 4 to EFTP. I am just making sure that undead creatures don't come shambling out of the 'CRYPT'... :grin:

The editors from A4 onward don't give you items. You would have to edit scripts to get them.

Also, from the CoC:

3. Keep the boards clean.

This means posts should be relevant to the topic of the forum and should group similar topics into a single post. Within posts, please try to follow the flow of the conversation. Let old topics lie unless you wish to continue the discussion. Please adhere to rules of grammar and spelling, and please avoid distracting animated avatars and text.

In case that's unclear, please stop using so many text colors in your posts—it makes them hard to read. This is an official warning in my capacity as a mod. Thanks.

I don't see any decrypting in that topic and still don't know what it means. There are some programs that people have thrown together to edit save files, but the more common way is editing scripts. There's no decryption involved.

—Alorael, who has realized that his title follows in the footsteps of TM and Trademarked. That's an uncomfortable precedent, but it can't be helped.

I know that topic drift just happens, but really, people, this is a bit extreme. We've had several posts in a row about custom titles. The thread is clearly marked as being about 'random questions'. Please show a little respect, and stop introducing arbitrary tangents of logical coherence.

Let's try getting back on track.

Où sont les neiges d'antan?

I know that topic drift just happens, but really, people, this is a bit extreme. We've had several posts in a row about custom titles. The thread is clearly marked as being about 'random questions'. Please show a little respect, and stop introducing arbitrary tangents of logical coherence.

but i didn't get to boast about having two custom titles (though, of course, I don't remember what my original one was so perhaps it doesn't count?)

also, personally, i don't think moderators should be able to give themselves custom titles. it takes something away from the whole "getting an inscrutable title handed down from the shadows" thing if people just go in and change the ones they dislike. also, can normal users have titles they disliked changed/removed? drakey would be spinning if that were so. :p

I think it was "ou sont les Neigedens d'antan?". This keyboard doesn't do diacriticals.

Ils sont partis, elles sont parties, for gender consistency: neige is feminine, so let's all say together "la neige".

"elles s'en sont enfuies" is more poetical.

I was "la Canaliste" till my identity was eaten, a wound which will not heal quickly.

These are random answers, thus preserving off-topicness.

I suppose that a random question has to be one that cannot be expressed by any algorithm shorter than the question itself as a simple statement. In this sense it is probably rather difficult to pose a truly random question in any natural language. But we can try to get as close as we can.

I think it was "ou sont les Neigedens d'antan?". This keyboard doesn't do diacriticals.

Ils sont partis, elles sont parties, for gender consistency: neige is feminine, so let's all say together "la neige".

"elles s'en sont enfuies" is more poetical.

I was "la Canaliste" till my identity was eaten, a wound which will not heal quickly.

These are random answers, thus preserving off-topicness.

Forgive my mix-up with the subject pronoun; my French is a little rusty.

Anyway, the point stands that the snows of yesteryear are melted away. Unless, of course, they fell in areas where more snow falls and more ice is deposited than melts, in which case they were converted into glacial ice. So too, have the times melted away or else been converted into glacial ice.

Yeah, I haven't finished the BoA graphics section yet. Its rather time intensive to do and the only reason the bits that are done are there is because I was able to do it as a class assignment, like, a year ago. Its on my long term to-do list, but don't hold your breath, 'cuz you'd die n'stuff.

Instead visit The Lourve for BoA graphics.