A:EftP - Avernum ReRemix & Graphics Mod

I've made a couple of modifications, the ReRemix was posted in the Remix thread, I'll post it back here. Moreover I made a graphics mod that replaces the cartoon-like pictures in the statistics page with fantasy pictures.

Graphics Mod

Avernum Graphics Mod

Original Graphics

Unpack in your "Avernum Files" directory and overwrite, the original graphics are there if you want to revert the changes. These are some of them:

http://www.fastpic.info/image/20130313/f6523d1fd6_tn.gif

NOTE : just to clarify, I'm not the author of any of these pictures, they were all found on the web. Many are from illustrations for cards of the "Magic: the Gathering" game, others are obtained from fantasy pictures of diverse authors. I simply resized/cropped the images or did minor edits. I hope this won't be a problem, if it is I will take it back.

ReRemix v2 (changes at the end of this post)

NEW ReRemix mod 2.6 (latest version)

ReRemix mod 2.5 (previous version)

***************************** Details for version 2.6 *****************************

The ReRemix mod is based on the remix by Slartibus, but some spells have been reverted to the original ones (Icy Rain, Howl of Terror, Call the Storm, Summon Shade, Divine Fire), even if their damage is closer to Slartibus' Remix, and also some items (especially the First Expedition items). For items, often I reverted only the name to the original, and kept the altered stats. It also includes many more changes, I tried balancing it the best I could but maybe I'm not finished yet. I also tried to balance items in a way that it's very difficult for spellcasters to find gear that confers melee damage protection (in my now finished torment playthrough my mage had a final armor rating of 63%, 66% for fire/etc, my secondary mage/archer had much better ratings but had the swordmage trait).

About the difficulty, I reduced overall spell damage (closer to Remix), and even increased casting costs in many cases. The goal (I don't know if I'm quite there) is to make the game slightly (only slightly) more difficult overall.

Armors, Weapons and other Items

Main change is that plate armors and shields are much heavier, and they confer a parry bonus.

Low level creatures, archers and spellcasters use shortswords, higher level variants use broadswords (more damage, cleave chance), sliths use spears (immobility, extra damage!).

- Armors are much heavier, so heavy that only the strongest can wear a full plate (breast + greaves + bracers), but metal armor gives a parry bonus, similarly to shields (iron 5%, steel 7%, consecrated 10%). You need strength 25+ to be able to wear good plate armor. Strong Back becomes also a useful trait.

- Shields have received a similar treatment: fixed hit penalty (5% for all), varying parry bonus (5-10%) and armor bonus, but iron/steel weight a lot more.

- CtH penalties: Chainmail -5%, breastplates -15%, all shields -5%, plate greaves -5%. Leather gear no longer carry a hit chance penalty. Bracers, gauntlets and boots give a smaller penalty.

- Very few items give a CtH bonus, so that also Swordmage trait could become viable in some builds.

- Spears are 1-handed weapons, with a -10 dual wielding modifier, to discourage it (unfortunately the penalty won't be less than the normal 20%, but it will counter the benfits from training the skill). They are also too heavy to be wielded in the off-hand. This is to allow spear users to carry a shield. They have 50% additional chance to immobilize 2 rounds, and they can do extra damage as in Remix. Some enchanted spears have a new ability. All spears have also -5% parry.

- Two-handed swords (waveblades, iron claymore and Greatsword of the Depths): similar to halberds in damage output, but smaller cleave and critical chance and a 3% parry bonus.

- Quarterstaves (Mage Staff and Staff of Arcana): parry bonus, CtH and energy damage that scales with intelligence, not strength, and they benfit from investment in pole weapons. Damage multiplier is low, but they give also a passive bonus useful for mages.

- Halberds do more damage. More points in Pole Weapons will increase the damage even more (more than natural increase, max result with 15 skill: this is true also for 2H-swords). They have a -5% parry penalty (like spears).

- Shortswords, daggers and light weapons that can be wielded off-hand carry a 3% parry bonus. Broadswords have cleave chance (20%). Some swords are heavier, and can't be wielded in off-hand anymore (flaming/oozing sword, Demonslayer, Radiant Soulblade).

- Removed bonus to hit from bows, as in Remix, and from most items.

- Frozen Blade renamed to Frozen Mageblade (it inflicts cold damage and thus intelligence is used for hit chance and damage, not strength).

Spells and Magical Gear

Some spells have been reverted to the originals (Icy Rain, Howl of Terror, Call the Storm, Summon Shade, Mass Healing, Divine Fire). Other changes:

- Spell damage is intermediate between regular game and Remix (closer to Remix, though), minor healing spells are less effective, many spells have increased casting cost, from priest spells (slightly increased) to some mage spells (so that casting high level spells is more often preferable).

- Healing spells are sligthly less effective, and regeneration has 50% chance (75% for Heal, 100% for Divine Restoration).

- There are only two damage spells that affects a round targetable area (Icy Rain and Divine Fire), and their damage/casting cost ratio is not very convenient to discourage spamming.

- New spell: Rune of Madness (replaces Summon Aid), teleports to new destination, but first do an AoE (range 3) centered on the caster, inflicts random ailments with different probabilities (slightly increasing with level): weakness & war curse (always), daze (80% at lev 1), stun (40% at lev 2), charm (20% at lev 3), range 3.

- New spell: Prayer, replaces Minor Heal, chance based. Healing/curing/regeneration chances: 25/20/20 (L1), 50/40/30 (L2), 75/60/40 (L3). No more low-level guaranteed healing for all, use Heal spell or bandages (that are better than before).

- Divine Restoration: 1 (cures 1 effect)/ 2 (cures 2 effects + 1 mental) / 3 (regeneration 5 turns, 20% bonus)

- Return life now is different depending on the training: 1 (weakness/war curse on the caster), 2 (nothing), 3 (bless party)

- Spray Acid: at level 3 it affects all enemies in range 1, even if the lightning effect affects only the targeted enemy. Reduced cost (10->5).

- Mass Healing: at level 3, the chance for regeneration has become a chance for curing (50%).

- Mass Curing has been replaced by Spine Shield, that also cures 1 effect at level 2 and has chance for regeneration at level 3.

- Wands are stronger: they hit more often and do more damage. Terror and Inferno wands are untouched (they were already level 50), other wands range from level 30 to 45, depending on value. Also non-defensive scrolls are somewhat stronger.

- Invulnerability potions replaced by Heroism potion (battle frenzy + bladeshield)

- Better bandages, food and purging crystals (also cure 1 mental effect)

Disciplines

Disciplines benefit from improving skills. Compared to the original, expect the same discipline to be less powerful if the governing skill is undeveloped, about as powerful if moderately developed, more powerful if well developed. Fatigue is generally lower across the board, though.

Discipline		Skill		  Fat.	Improvements
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Well-Aimed Blow		Blademaster	3	3/6/9/12
Flawless Shot		Sniper		3	1/4/7
Shield Breaker		Riposte		3	2/4/6
Leg Sweep		Gymnastics	3	3/6
Blade Sweep		Quick Action	5	3/6/9
Focus Spirit		Hardiness	3	3/6/9/12
Mighty Blow		Lethal Blow	4	1/4/7
Adrenaline Rush		Gymnastics	4	3/6
Bladeshield		Dual Wielding	4	2/4/6/8
Sharpshooter Spray	Sharpshooter	6	3/6/9
Sword Dance		Dual Wielding	7	3/6/9
Battle Frenzy		Quick Action	7	2/5/8

Disciplines in detail:

- Well-Aimed Blow: improves with Blademaster, cleave at BM 6

- Flawless Shot: improves with Sniper, ensnare chance from SN 3. Great damage and can apply extra bonuses from Sniper skill (negative effect, extra shot).

- Shield Breaker: improves with Riposte, knocks back, can daze (RI 2), high damage and strong weakness curse (RI 6).

- Leg Sweep: improves with Gymnastics, chance to immobilize improves with skill. At GY 6, weakness curse and chance to stun.

- Focus Spirit: improves with Hardiness. Cures 1-3 effects, regeneration starts at 6, heals 80 damage at 9, +3 AP at 12.

- Adrenaline Rush: improves with Gymnastics, fatigue 5. Slightly less powerful than the original, but fatigue is lower.
    0-2: 10 AP, weakness curse 2 turns
    3-5: 20 AP, weakness curse 1 turn
    6+:  30 AP

- Battle Frenzy: improves with Quick Action, fatigue 7.
    0-1: 3 turns, weakness curse 3 turns
    2-4: 4 turns, weakness curse 2 turns, +2 AP
    5-7: 5 turns, weakness curse 1 turn, +5 AP
    8+:  6 turns, +8 AP

- Bladeshield: improves with Dual Wielding, duration starts at 2 and can improve up to 6 for 8 DW.

- Sharpshooter Spray: is the same ability as in Avadon, but is cone-shaped. Works with thrown weapons too. Improves with Sharpshooter skill.

- Blade Sweep: improves with Quick Action, and has range 2.

- Sword Dance: improves with Dual Wielding. More powerful than Blade Sweep: range 3, chance to ensnare (DW 6) and daze (DW 9), damage increases with DW skill. High fatigue.

Changes in 1.0

- Many enemies use the same disciplines and spells used by the party, so there were conflicts (disciplines with requirements used by monsters didn't do anything at all). I imported the old disciplines as new abilities and changed all references used by enemies, so they use the original ones, there shouldn't be any conflict among them.

- Some disciplines I modified depended on wrong attributes (as intelligence), now they mostly depend on strength (also Blade Sweep and Sword Dance)

- I beefed up many disciplines (Flawless Shot isn't based on Sniper anymore), fixed some scrolls, and replaced invulnerability potions with heroism potions (bladeshield + battle frenzy). Halberds are better, extra damage for spears down to +50% from +100% (50% probability), since they are now 1-handed. Immobilize chance from spears lasts 2 rounds (since 1 round didn't seem to do anything).

Changes in 2.0

* Armors are much heavier, so heavy that only the strongest can wear a full plate (breast + greaves + bracers), but plate armor gives a parry bonus, similarly to shields (chainmail 5%, iron 10%, steel 15%, greaves up to 5%, bracers up to 3%). You need strength 25+ to be able to wear good plate armor.

* I reduced the parry bonus for some items and weapons (5% max). Max parry you can have is 23% (full plate) + 30% (skill) + 10% (shield) and 10-15% from items/weapons. This parry bonus should 'emulate' armor penetration (not all strikes penetrate the armor).

* Hit chance penalties for most armors have been reduced (5% for chainmail and iron, 10% for the heaviest plates). Now either you're strong enough, or you can't simply wear them without AP penalties.

* Shields have received a similar treatment: fixed hit penalty (5% for all), varying parry bonus (5-10%) and armor bonus, but iron/steel weight a lot more.

* Changes to weapons: some swords are heavier, and some can't be wielded in off-hand anymore (flaming/oozing sword). Shortswords, daggers and light weapons that can be wielded off-hand carry a -5% parry penalty. Removed bonus to hit from bows (again), as in Remix. Broadswords have cleave chance (20%).

* Changes to creatures: weak fighters and non-fighters have shortswords, tougher fighters are equipped with broadswords, sliths use spears.

* Fixed some descriptions and the Bladeshield bug.

I hope I didn't exaggerate with parry bonuses; considering you won't have easy access to heavy armor soon in the game, this could be ok.

Changes in 2.1

* Fixed Flawless Shot to use dexterity

Changes in 2.2

* Changes to spells: Haste at level 2 has 30% bonus instead of 20% (for 1 extra round duration); Spray Acid has cleave chance increased at level 2 and decreased cost (8->6).

* Changes to disciplines: Flawless Shot depends now on Sharpshooter. Sharpshooter Spray depends now on Sniper, and is cone shaped.

Changes in 2.3

* New spell: Circle of Madness (replaces Blink Burst), AoE centered on the caster, inflicts random ailments with different probabilities (slightly increasing with level): weakness & war curse (always), daze (80% at lev 1), stun (40% at lev 2), charm (20% at lev 3), range 3.

* Changes to spells: spell damage has been somewhat reduced (now between original and remix). Spell costs have been revised (it's more worth to cast higher level spells now), and overall increased. Minor heal and mass healing are sligthly less effective, and regeneration has 50% chance (75% for Heal, 100% for Divine Restoration).

* Changes to Armors. CtH penalties: Chainmail -5%, breastplates -15%. Steel/Consacrated breastplates are also heavier. Reduced parry bonuses (iron 5%, steel 7%, consecrated 10%), also for greaves. Iron/steel shields slightly heavier. Various very minor changes to item bonuses.

* Changes to weapons: Frozen Blade renamed to Frozen Mageblade (it inflicts cold damage and thus intelligence is used for hit chance and damage, not strength); better enchanted spears.

* Changes to Disciplines: increased fatigue for Well-Aimed Blow (3->4), decreased for Sharpshooter Spray (8->6). Blade Sweep does more damage. Focus Spirit based on Priest Spells (was Parry) (2/8/12), reduced fatigue (6->3).

* Wands are stronger: they hit more often and do more damage. Terror and Inferno wands are untouched (they were already level 50), other wands range from level 30 to 45, depending on value. Also non-defensive scrolls are somewhat stronger.

* Better bandages (more or less like Minor Heal).

* Other fixes (Focus Spirit, minor changes to items)

Changes in 2.4

* New spell: Prayer, replaces Minor Heal, chance based. Healing/curing/regeneration chances: 25/20/20 (L1), 50/40/30 (L2), 75/60/40 (L3). No more low-level guaranteed healing for all, use Heal spell or bandages (that are better).

* Two-handed swords (waveblades, iron claymore and Greatsword of the Depths): similar to halberds in damage output, but smaller cleave and critical chance and a 5% parry bonus.

* Quarterstaves (Mage Staff and Staff of Arcana): 5% parry bonus, CtH and energy damage that scales with intelligence, not strength, but they need investment in pole weapons (2 for 50 flat damage, 6 for scaled damage, 10 for more damage and cleave chance). They give also a passive bonus useful for mages, though.

* Changes to Disciplines: fatigue adjustments (Bladeshield 6->7, Well-Aimed Blow 4->3, Flawless Shot 4->3, Battle Frenzy 8->9, others), some high-level improvements for some disciplines. Battle Frenzy requires QA 2 (improvements at 6 and 10).

* Changes to items: restored some low CtH penalty on gear, general item rebalancing.

* Return life now is different depending on the training: 1 (weakness/war curse on the caster), 2 (nothing), 3 (bless party)

* Fixed shattering blow (monster ability)

Changes in 2.5

* fixed Flawless Shot (broken in 2.4)

* better Divine Restoration: 1 (cures 1 effect)/ 2 (cures 2 effects + 1 mental) / 3 (regeneration 5 turns, 20% bonus)

* spears have also -5% parry

* better food

* better purging crystals (also cure 1 mental effect)

* fixed tooltips

Changes in 2.6

Spoiler

- short swords have a parry bonus (+3%) instead of a -5% penalty
- parry bonus for two-handed swords reduced to 3%
- halberds have a parry penalty (-5%) (same as spears)
- removed parry bonus for metal greaves
- disciplines: general rebalancing
- disciplines: removed strict skill requirement
- Circle of Madness becomes Rune of Madness (teleports after AoE)
- fixed Flawless Throw

Edited by Akhari Blaze

• 7 months later...

I love the remix, and I love the "remix of the remix" even more. But, at least in the mod of the remix, there are a couple of minor Battle Discipline bugs. No idea if they have been reported already, or if there is a quick and easy fix to said bugs.

1. Flawless Shot says that it is dependant on your combined skill with Bows and Thrown Missiles and requires 4 points to work at all. The problem is that Thrown Missiles has exactly 0 effect on how powerful this skill can become. It doesn't contribute to the use of this ability, which is a problem. On a similar note, I noticed that the Sniper tooltip indicates that it assists the power of Flawless Shot as well, which I have not noticed at all.

2. Bladeshield, which really is only useful for a mage or someone similar, has a serious flaw with it. It works fine at 0 points, generating 2 rounds. It works fine at 3 points and it works fine at 10 points. But, for some really odd reason, it fails to work at all at 7, 8 or 9 points. Admittedly, I only found out about this while mining for data on the new versions of the Disciplines via the Editor. (I don't use it in general, but it still has its uses if you don't want to break the game.)

To make it clear, the version of the game I am talking about specifically here is Ahkari Blaze's "Enhanced Mod" of the game. Please let me know if I am doing something seriously wrong here. Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback, I've taken the game for a ride and made some changes to my mod too, and fixed these two issues. Issue n.1 wasn't a problem actually, maybe the tooltip wasn't clear. You get bonus for Flawless Shot from Bows skill only, and for Flawless Throw from Thrown Weapons skill only.

New version is 2.0 (link in first post). Thanks for the feedback and thanks if somebody wants to try it out.

My question, quite seriously, is this: Where is Flawless Throw at, anyway? I still see just Flawless Shot within the Battle Disciplines area. Maybe I'm the crazy one or, far more likely, I'm not looking in the correct location for it. That would be why I made mention what I did above. I could never find it within the game.

On the plus side? The Bladeshield bug, I can confirm, is now fixed and works correctly at all levels of Resistance.

My question, quite seriously, is this: Where is Flawless Throw at, anyway? I still see just Flawless Shot within the Battle Disciplines area. Maybe I'm the crazy one or, far more likely, I'm not looking in the correct location for it. That would be why I made mention what I did above. I could never find it within the game.

On the plus side? The Bladeshield bug, I can confirm, is now fixed and works correctly at all levels of Resistance.

I never used Flawless Throw before, and I thought it would replace automatically Flawless Shot whenever a javelin/razordisk is equipped. But it doesn't happen.. not even in the unmodded game, so I really don't know. Could you ever use it before? And how?

If there's no solution, I can make the discipline dependent on Sharpshooter so that also a javelin user can benefit from it, and make Sharpshooter Spray dependent on Sniper.

Version 2.2 with fixes:

* Changes to spells: Haste at level 2 has 30% bonus instead of 20% (for 1 extra round duration); Spray Acid has cleave chance increased at level 2 and decreased cost (8->6).

* Changes to disciplines: Flawless Shot depends now on Sharpshooter. Sharpshooter Spray depends now on Sniper, and is cone shaped.

Love the mod. Thanks for your continuing work.

I'm still using the previous version of your enhanced mod so apologies in advance if you've addressed these in 2.2. Wasn't sure if the new version was save game compatible.

I've noticed that increases to gymnastics from items do not lead to additional Action points in the adrenaline rush discipline.

For example, my mage has 2 pints of actual Gymnastics plus the flowing metal greave (+3 to Gym) yet only gets 15 AP from Adrenaline rush instead of 20.

Was this intended?

Cheers.

I've noticed that increases to gymnastics from items do not lead to additional Action points in the adrenaline rush discipline.

For example, my mage has 2 pints of actual Gymnastics plus the flowing metal greave (+3 to Gym) yet only gets 15 AP from Adrenaline rush instead of 20.

Was this intended?

I noticed that too, it isn't intended but I don't think it can be changed, I'll try. I was even thinking about raising the requirement for the second step (from 2 to 4 Gym), since it's easy to train and so it would require some more effort to bring it to 15. If I'm not mistaken 15 + haste gives you still the chance of 3 actions per round, but I still have to test it.

Wasn't sure if the new version was save game compatible.

It should be 100% compatible, but there are a lot of changes to the equipment (armors and swords mainly) so your characters may not like the changes :) (like not being able to wear anymore the armor they were wearing without being over-encumbered). The link for the old version is still there, if you need, it anyway.

Thanks for the appreciation :)

The new armor restrictions sound interesting. Harkens back to the old A D&D 2.0 rules which were the first ones I learned.

Loaded 2.2 and found my current characters a bit "burdened" so rather than mucking about in Character editor I'm starting a new campaign

I see that v2.2 differs from v1.0 in that it no longer includes modded versions of these two files:

textspecitems,txt

textdialogs.txt

I'm off to seek my fortune with your new version and will report back as I go.

You don't really need to start all over, armor changes concerned mostly weights/parry, you can find chainmails all over the place and that will be the maximum you'll be able to wear until 20 strength or so. Moreover, I'm not finished yet with the changes and even if you start from scratch I'll be modifying again stuff in the next update (I already increased even more the weight of breastplates in my files).

The missing files are files that I never modified, I included them because they were in the remix by Slartibus, that I used as a basis when I first started making my changes. After I'm done with the gameplay changes, I'll have to review also those files and clean up things a bit.

I was interested to see what the new armor rules would be like from a fresh start.

It is a very different experience at low level especially as I follow RaustBlackDragon's method of spreading around the skill points . My characters have been investing much more heavily in strength so they can handle the heavier armor.

I kept that in mind while making the last changes (that is, not forcing chars to put all points in one stat). With 25 strength you should be able to wear decent armor (steel breastplate or similar, iron greaves or shield, bracers..), for the best armors (consecrated BP or similar, plus shield and greaves) you'd need definitely more, a strength-dedicated char or use the Strong Back trait that gives 20 lbs.

Version 2.3 (close to final)

* New spell: Circle of Madness (replaces Blink Burst), AoE centered on the caster, inflicts random ailments with different probabilities (slightly increasing with level): weakness & war curse (always), daze (80% at lev 1), stun (40% at lev 2), charm (20% at lev 3), range 3.

* Changes to spells: spell damage has been somewhat reduced (now between original and remix). Spell costs have been revised (it's more worth to cast higher level spells now), and overall increased. Minor heal and mass healing are sligthly less effective, and regeneration has 50% chance (75% for Heal, 100% for Divine Restoration).

* Changes to Armors. CtH penalties: Chainmail -5%, breastplates -15%. Steel/Consacrated breastplates are also heavier. Reduced parry bonuses (iron 5%, steel 7%, consecrated 10%), also for greaves. Iron/steel shields slightly heavier. Various very minor changes to item bonuses.

* Changes to weapons: Frozen Blade renamed to Frozen Mageblade (it inflicts cold damage and thus intelligence is used for hit chance and damage, not strength); better enchanted spears.

* Changes to Disciplines: increased fatigue for Well-Aimed Blow (3->4), decreased for Sharpshooter Spray (8->6). Blade Sweep does more damage. Focus Spirit based on Priest Spells (was Parry) (2/8/12), reduced fatigue (6->3).

* Wands are stronger: they hit more often and do more damage. Terror and Inferno wands are untouched (they were already level 50), other wands range from level 30 to 45, depending on value. Also non-defensive scrolls are somewhat stronger.

* Better bandages (more or less like Minor Heal).

* Other fixes (Focus Spirit, minor changes to items)

Sounds like an interesting direction. I remain a fan of modifications that provide different ways to play the game and allow for varied types of viable parties.

Giving underused spells, traits and items like bandages new life is a good thing.

Have you radically reduced the energy costs of high revel spells? It is always irksome to spend such huge percentage of spell energy on a single spell only to see it fizzle. Divine fire springs to mind here.

I like the idea of additional enchanted pole weapons. Focus spirit being based on priest spells tracks nicely with the idea of Paladin type Fighter/ Priests.

I've always found wands underpowered. It's a *magic wand* it's should hit very, very hard :)

Does Circle of Madness keep the teleport of Blink Burst?

My fresh start 2.2 mod party is now 12th level. Caster and Archer still using leather type armors while the Paladin and Priest are wearing chain and carrying the steel breast plates around in their luggage. Definitely more tradeoffs to work through regarding encumbrance v protection.

You're certainly moving aggressively with regard to armor weight increases. Have you considered modifying other traits besides Strong Back to balance this a bit?

For example, Good, Robust and Perfect health seem tailor made to add a few pounds of armor capacity per each upgrade in addition to the HP bonus.

Looking forward to 2.3.

Have you radically reduced the energy costs of high revel spells? It is always irksome to spend such huge percentage of spell energy on a single spell only to see it fizzle. Divine fire springs to mind here.

Does Circle of Madness keep the teleport of Blink Burst?

I didn't reduce them, I actually increased the cost for Lightning Spray (was too convenient and almost the only spell a mage needed) and Icy Rain (can be used to 'cheat' hitting enemies you can't see).

Circle of Madness doesn't have teleport but it's a good idea since I'm finding it a bit weak right now.

My fresh start 2.2 mod party is now 12th level. Caster and Archer still using leather type armors while the Paladin and Priest are wearing chain and carrying the steel breast plates around in their luggage. Definitely more tradeoffs to work through regarding encumbrance v protection.

You're certainly moving aggressively with regard to armor weight increases. Have you considered modifying other traits besides Strong Back to balance this a bit?

For example, Good, Robust and Perfect health seem tailor made to add a few pounds of armor capacity per each upgrade in addition to the HP bonus.

Looking forward to 2.3.

In my game I used chainmail for a long while; consider that the highest protection value is the most important, because the system works so that other protection items only use a fraction of their value. Since fighters raise strength naturally, it's usually worth to add some more strength for some more protection, and it's mostly a question of when to allow them to wear the best armors, and to prevent non-fighters from wearing them. I think they're fine as they are right now (one of my fighters has strength 30+bonuses, strong back trait and wears the heaviest possible armor+heavy shield).

I don't think it's possible to modify traits, they should be hardcoded, I'm only modifying the text files.

And btw 2.3 is already there :) download link in the first post.

PS: bandages are still weak, I'll have to correct them in next version.

New (and maybe final) version 2.4.

Lots of important changes so I hope there won't be bugs (I didn't see any and I finally finished the game...). I was level 35 when I finished, so I'll maybe see how these changes affect low-level characters.

Changes in 2.4

* New spell: Prayer, replaces Minor Heal, chance based. Healing/curing/regeneration chances: 25/20/20 (L1), 50/40/30 (L2), 75/60/40 (L3). No more low-level guaranteed healing for all, use Heal spell or bandages (that are better than before).

* Two-handed swords (waveblades, iron claymore and Greatsword of the Depths): similar to halberds in damage output, but smaller cleave and critical chance and a 5% parry bonus.

* Quarterstaves (Mage Staff and Staff of Arcana): 5% parry bonus, CtH and energy damage that scales with intelligence, not strength, but they need investment in pole weapons (2 for 50 flat damage, 6 for scaled damage, 10 for more damage and cleave chance). They give also a passive bonus useful for mages, though.

* Changes to Disciplines: fatigue adjustments (Bladeshield 6->7, Well-Aimed Blow 4->3, Flawless Shot 4->3, Battle Frenzy 8->9, others), some high-level improvements for some disciplines. Battle Frenzy requires QA 2 (improvements at 6 and 10).

* Changes to items: restored some low CtH penalty on gear, general item rebalancing.

* Return life now is different depending on the training: 1 (weakness/war curse on the caster), 2 (nothing), 3 (bless party)

* Fixed shattering blow (monster ability)

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2.5 with some fixes

Changes in 2.5

* fixed Flawless Shot (broken in 2.4)

* better Divine Restoration: 1 (cures 1 effect)/ 2 (cures 2 effects + 1 mental) / 3 (regeneration 5 turns, 20% bonus)

* spears have also -5% parry

* better food

* better purging crystals (also cure 1 mental effect)

* fixed tooltips

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, thank you for creating this mod. i just tried it out, copied all the files of the "ReRemix2.5" in the script directory of Avernum overwriting the existing ones. Started a new game (torment, custom party).

But here is the problem: My characters aren't encumbered anymore when I carry more than allowed. I get no status effect or disadvanteges. Does anyone know a solution?

Thx rick

Edit: I just recognised i get one less Action Point if encumbered. but shouldn't there be a sign on character portrait or a warning in inventory if so?

• 4 months later...

Finally just got around to trying this mod and have to say I'm liking it waaay more than the Slartibus mod (not intended to sound insulting)

still early on into it though, hope this works for avernum 2&3 or that you come back and add support for those.

PS: not sure how you got two-handed swords & one-handed spears to work, they do scale properly right? (do two handed swords don't scale with polearm skill?)

even more confused on the arcane weapons but the sound cool and the first time a mage-warrior may actually be viable in a spiderweb game

Sounds interesting. But why do I need fighters when my mages can melee as well?

If you mean that your mages can take melee damage, this is true up to a point, but they will generally not be able to wear as much heavy armor, or use shields, at least not early in the game. Warriors are good for tanking. But an all-caster party is certainly playable. ETA: Also, because you don't get that many traits in AEFTP, you might not want to spend a bunch of them on Swordmage.

If you mean that your mages can be effective melee fighters, they can't really. To hit and do significant damage in melee, you have to pump Strength almost exclusively, whereas to be an effective mage, you have to raise Intelligence as high as possible. Try to do both and you will do them both badly. Unless maybe as a singleton, because you'll gain more stat increases as you level up.

Edited by Jerakeen

If you mean that your mages can take melee damage, this is true up to a point, but they will generally not be able to wear as much heavy armor, or use shields, at least not early in the game. Warriors are good for tanking. But an all-caster party is certainly playable. ETA: Also, because you don't get that many traits in AEFTP, you might not want to spend a bunch of them on Swordmage.

If you mean that your mages can be effective melee fighters, they can't really. To hit and do significant damage in melee, you have to pump Strength almost exclusively, whereas to be an effective mage, you have to raise Intelligence as high as possible. Try to do both and you will do them both badly. Unless maybe as a singleton, because you'll gain more stat increases as you level up.

Hume is presumably referring to the new Intelligence-based melee weapons that are introduced in this mod. On the other side of the coin, though, the mod apparently also makes it harder for non-Strength-based characters to wear heavy armour.

Short comment on melee/pole balance in this remix:

You can only use short swords as off weapon, and short swords have a penalty of -5% parry. Dual wielding is a lot weaker.

Long swords are about as good as the vanilla game.

Spears are about 1/4 stronger than vanilla, making them as strong as vanilla halberd. They are single handed, allow you to wear a shield, though they have a penalty of -5% parry.

Two-handed weapons are more than 50% stronger than the spears in this remix, with halberd better in offense and swords better in defense

Conclusion:

Two-handed weapons are the best in the remix, about as strong as dual wield without dual wield penalty in vanilla. But considering you can dual wield powerful combo like spectral Falchion and flaming sword in vanilla, two-handed weapons in the remix are about as good as dual wield in vanilla. Dual wielding in this remix are made worthless, though a little better than two-handed weapon in vanilla.

• 2 months later...

Short comment on melee/pole balance in this remix:

You can only use short swords as off weapon, and short swords have a penalty of -5% parry. Dual wielding is a lot weaker.

Long swords are about as good as the vanilla game.

Spears are about 1/4 stronger than vanilla, making them as strong as vanilla halberd. They are single handed, allow you to wear a shield, though they have a penalty of -5% parry.

Two-handed weapons are more than 50% stronger than the spears in this remix, with halberd better in offense and swords better in defense

Conclusion:

Two-handed weapons are the best in the remix, about as strong as dual wield without dual wield penalty in vanilla. But considering you can dual wield powerful combo like spectral Falchion and flaming sword in vanilla, two-handed weapons in the remix are about as good as dual wield in vanilla. Dual wielding in this remix are made worthless, though a little better than two-handed weapon in vanilla.

Thanks all for the feedback. I couldn't work much on balancing weapons, I just thought that in vanilla 2H was pointless and DW the only way to go, and I wanted to change that. So what would you suggest, reduce 2H power or beef up a bit DW (maybe allowing more weapons to be used as off-hand)? In theory, I think it would be best to use DW for more stat and resistance bonuses, and 2H for raw power.

If the system hasn't changed radically (I'm sure it didn't) it should be possible but I don't have A2:CS... Also it would take some time anyway, and I'd have to play the vanilla game or at least gather info about what's unbalanced and so on, so right now it isn't in the plans.. Did you finish A1 with the mod? Did you play A1 vanilla? If yes to both, how do you think they compare difficulty-wise? Just to know, it could be useful for 'future plans'.. Thanks

I couldn't really answer at the moment because I'm playing through your mod on an easier difficulty and I'm doing a horribly inefficient builds for the sake of role playing characters. (for example; I'm mixing pole weapons and thrown weapons on one character) I'm tempted to start a second run to help you out but I'm heading back into classes soon and not sure I'll have the spare time.

Slartibus has a number of threads discussing balance changes from A1 to A2, but most of the changes I've heard of would be overwritten in your mod anyway.

If you want to see my zany adventures through your mod I'm doing a very silly lets-play, (it rarely covers technical aspects of the game). http://spiderwebforu...ter-4-released/

The writing has been slow going as of late, but I think it will pick back up after I finally finish this next chapter.

I couldn't really answer at the moment because I'm playing through your mod on an easier difficulty and I'm doing a horribly inefficient builds for the sake of role playing characters. (for example; I'm mixing pole weapons and thrown weapons on one character) I'm tempted to start a second run to help you out but I'm heading back into classes soon and not sure I'll have the spare time.

No problem, I didn't really ask you to 'help me out' :), mod is more or less finished (could use some weapon balance), I finished it on torment once and just asked for an opinion about difficulty if you tried both vanilla and modded on same difficulty level. Thanks anyway

If the system hasn't changed radically (I'm sure it didn't) it should be possible but I don't have A2:CS...

A2CS definitely brings up a different set of balance (and interest) considerations than AEFTP did -- which are themselves substantially different from the ones AB dealt with, since he started with my game balance mod rather than the base game.

A2CS definitely brings up a different set of balance (and interest) considerations than AEFTP did -- which are themselves substantially different from the ones AB dealt with, since he started with my game balance mod rather than the base game.

Ok thanks, definitely I'd have to play the game first (and I'd have to buy it first :)), in reality I was thinking about the general text file system, between Avadon and EFTP some effects and stats changed their reference numbers but mostly they were the same, so I was hoping they are similar also in A2CS because otherwise it would mean guessing again which effect is which number.

Anyway I wasn't really planning to do this soon, to be honest.. probably when I'll buy the game, and I don't know when it will be.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for the feedback. I couldn't work much on balancing weapons, I just thought that in vanilla 2H was pointless and DW the only way to go, and I wanted to change that. So what would you suggest, reduce 2H power or beef up a bit DW (maybe allowing more weapons to be used as off-hand)? In theory, I think it would be best to use DW for more stat and resistance bonuses, and 2H for raw power.

I agree, but a mandatory -5% penalty in parry messed things up. Change short swords to have a 5% parry bonus instead, so we can have a lot more build options.

From most offensive to most defensive:

Two-handed, dual wielding, dual short swords, spear and shield, long sword and shield, short sword and shield

I find that in this remix (v2.5), battle discipline does 0 damage if you do not have the required skill. (like blademaster, sharp shooter)

This is bad. If you do not have the required skill, it is acceptable the battle discipline does nothing (allowing you to damage monsters normally). But preventing you harming monsters?

I agree, but a mandatory -5% penalty in parry messed things up. Change short swords to have a 5% parry bonus instead, so we can have a lot more build options.

From most offensive to most defensive:

Two-handed, dual wielding, dual short swords, spear and shield, long sword and shield, short sword and shield

Sounds good...

I find that in this remix (v2.5), battle discipline does 0 damage if you do not have the required skill. (like blademaster, sharp shooter)

This is bad. If you do not have the required skill, it is acceptable the battle discipline does nothing (allowing you to damage monsters normally). But preventing you harming monsters?

It's a long time now I don't touch the mod, but I remember this behaviour, the discipline replaces the normal attack in many cases (and the tooltip shows no damage if you have 0 in the governing skill), in some others it is applied on top of the normal attack. It's impossible to prevent from performing the discipline if you have enough melee/polearm/missile skills, but the tooltip says if you do damage, if it says nothing, it means you'll waste the attack. For disciplines like sharpshooter spray/blade sweep I think it's better that you just can't perform them (no damage). There was a problem if I used the discipline on top of the normal attack (like the character running towards the target or asking for a target when it shouldn't have had). Just read the tooltip and you know if you'll do damage or not, when in doubt...

Thanks for the pointers.

• 5 months later...

Avernum 2 - Crystal Souls - ReRemix v3.3

http://www.mediafire.com/file/33hhdthurvw9i0s/Avernum_2_-_Crystal_Souls_-_ReRemix_v3.3.7z/file

v3.3 Changes

Removed extra minimum requirements from battle disciplines

Fixed halberds

Fixed smite

Adjusted the energy cost of new spells

Fixed shadow blink

Fixed some shop text in dharmon

Fixed scroll text for recovery and spine shield

Fixed helms

Altered Divine Retribution's animation

Altered Divine Echo's summon

Altered Arcane Blow's damage formula

Fixed Runed Plate

Fixed Call the Storm's animation

Fixed Seeking Rapier, Curing Potion, Curing Elixir, Scroll - Recovery, Scroll - Spineshield, Heroism Elixir, Hero's Necklace, Smite, and Harfloot's Cap

Fixed Protection

Fixed Smite

Cleaned up discipline, skill, and hint text

Fixed enchanted spear

Minor fix for Flawless Shot, Shield Breaker, Leg Sweep, Blade Sweep, Mighty Blow, and Sword Dance

Fixed javelin versions of Flawless Shot and Sharpshooter Spray

Fixed Jade Halberd

Fixed Nullity Shield

Tweaked Serrated Kris

Avernum 3 - Ruined World - ReRemix v3.1

http://www.mediafire.com/file/m0y0980xtt7o00p/Avernum_3_-_Ruined_World_-_ReRemix_v3.1.7z/file

v3.1 Changes

Removed extra minimum requirements from battle disciplines

Adjusted the energy cost of new spells

Altered Divine Retribution's animation

Altered Divine Echo's summon

Altered Arcane Blow's damage formula

Fixed the Sage's Longbow and energy cost of new mage spells

Slightly lowered the energy cost of Pool of Ice

Fixed Fireblast and Rain of Curses

Fixed Runed Plate

Fixed Seeking Rapier, Curing Potion, Curing Elixir, Scroll - Recovery, Scroll - Spineshield, Heroism Elixir, Hero's Necklace, Smite, Harfloot's Cap, and Protection

Fixed Shielding Knife, Waveblade, and Warrior's Kilt

Fixed Smite and Wyrmslayer

Altered the discipline Bladeshield

Cleaned up discipline and skill text

Fixed enchanted spear

Minor fix for Flawless Shot, Shield Breaker, Leg Sweep, Blade Sweep, Mighty Blow, and Sword Dance

Fixed javelin versions of Flawless Shot and Sharpshooter Spray

Fixed Jade Halberd

Fixed Nullity Shield

Tweaked Spectral Falchion, Serrated Kris, and Ghostly Blade

Tweaked Radiant Soulblade

Edited by LandonRayW

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, TJ Hedgescout said:

I have to rebuy the game, my installation disk was stolen :(

I'd like to try this remix out.

Email support@spiderwebsoftware.com and give them the original details (name, address) you originally ordered under. If you ordered directly from Spiderweb, you should be able to get a link to redownload it without paying for it again.

1 hour ago, TJ Hedgescout said:

A:EFTP did. I bought a disk to go with the game.
I suppose i could try, but maybe it would be better to buy it through steam so i wouldnt need a disk?

You shouldn't need a disc no matter what. Everything has moved over to digital downloads now.