a question about avernum's background..

Yes.

Exile, which was the original version of the Avernum remakes and the current generation of remakes, precedes Oblivion by twelve years, according to Wikipedia. It's doubtful that anyone at Bethesda was inspired by Spiderweb Software. However, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Jeff has taken some inspiration from the Elder Scroll series over time, even if subconsciously. He does like to game, after all.

I'm still inclined to say coincidence. Avernum beginning with guards and a portal goes back to E1. The art's gotten better, but the content's older than Oblivion.

—Alorael, who wonders why there are heavily armed guards warding the portal. It's one-way, so nothing's going to come out, and it's not as though there are ravening hordes clamoring to get in, or that the Empire would particularly care to stop them if there were.

—Alorael, who wonders why there are heavily armed guards warding the portal. It's one-way, so nothing's going to come out, and it's not as though there are ravening hordes clamoring to get in, or that the Empire would particularly care to stop them if there were.

If nothing else, it seems like it'd be worth watching it to prevent attempts at sabotaging the portal. Some dude with an Onyx Sceptre could do a lot of damage.

I'd imagine the portal's in a small fort. Anyone who gets that close has already bypassed a lot of defenses.

—Alorael, who could see it just being for effect. Guys in ceremonial armor flanking the portal you're hurled through send one last message about not messing with the Empire. You know, in case some victims are inclined to scouring the caves for a way to get back and maybe score some revenge.

Randomizer may have a point. The psychological effects of standing next to a portal for a long time, knowing that beyond there lies hopelessness and misery, must be quite effective as a disciplinary tool. It's like being shown the rack.

Dealing with escape attempts by desperate prisoners not wanting to get cast down also makes sense in my mind.