What Do I Do Next in AEFTP

I started this project a long time ago, when a lot of people were posting about being unable to progress in the game. Unfortunately I got distracted by other things, and now it's probably past the point of being useful to anyone, but I finally finished it, and here it is:

What Do I Do Next?

It's not a walkthrough. It's just a rough guide to what you can do when, and it only goes up to level 14 because I think by then you should be able to figure it out for yourself.

So, enjoy I guess.

Just one quick question for Jerakeen. Your guide says that after level 15 you start spreading your points around a bit. The question is, do you stop with your character's main skill at a certain point or do you keep going? For example, Mage Skills need to be at 17 to cast the most demanding spells, yet upgrades are possible until you top out at level 30. How high do you normally raise that stat?

Mage and priest skills can stop at 17, though raising them higher will increase your damage and hit rates. On Torment, fighters should still keep pumping up their main attack skill, at least until their to-hit is 95% for most bosses.

It's worthwhile buying combat skills for your mage; combined with the Discipline Blade and (I think) a skill point or two, you can give her access to Adrenaline Rush fairly easily. Which is devastating.

Yeah, the slimes are absolute murder on Torment. I always feel a twinge of guilt when exploiting my foreknowledge with a cheap trick like that, but then I shrug it off. All's fair when Jeff is trying to kill you.

Edit: I actually just corrected an error — if you leave the fortress altogether (rather than just going downstairs and then back up), the slimes will be gone when you return, so you can loot the place. If you really want to fight the slimes, you should probably do the whole thing around level 18 or 19.

It's still worth pumping your bottom-tier attack skill most levels for the extra damage output. Otherwise, by the late game, you'll find yourself with all your other useful combat skills maxed out and nothing worth raising but your bottom-tier attack skill, which you can only put one of your two points in per level.

you'll find yourself with all your other useful combat skills maxed out and nothing worth raising but your bottom-tier attack skill

Hardiness, Blademaster, Parry, Quick Action, Lethal Blow, and a couple in Dual Wielding (or Priest Spells)... leaves only 10 points for Melee Weapons.

Even for a fighter, there is no reason to raise melee weapons above 8, and then train the other 2, unless you are playing casually.

I'll refer you to Slarty's analysis:

http://spiderwebforu...n-maxing-aeftp/

In terms of average damage output, investing heavily in Quick Action, Dual Wielding and Lethal Blow is inferior for most of the game to just investing those points in Melee Weapons. DW and LB only become better once Str+MW exceeds 50, and that's not even taking into account the fact that you have to waste skill points in QA to get to them.

Dual-wielders have the best and most reliable single-target damage output of any character build, even if mages outclass them against groups. And if you're not interested in your melee character's damage output, you might as well go sword-and-shield and forget about Dual Wielding entirely.

What Lilith said. Also, this is not a min-maxing guide, as I stated in the intro. Just saying what worked for me. There really are enough skill points to go around, I find. I see no need to rely on items to unlock Adrenaline Rush for my fighter.

Edit: Though you're correct to point out that weapon skills have less effect on hit rate than core stats, and I should have been clearer on that point. Probably should have said "Keep raising until level 20 or so, unless you have something more urgent to do. Or not, whatever."

• 6 months later...