Actaeon

The way carding works in the US (or at least in Oregon) is ridiculous. It was the most stressful part of being a cashier for me, given the ridiculously harsh penalties for letting someone underage go uncarded, the obvious offense some people took at being asked to show their ID, and my difficulty in estimating someone's age. Plus, if I carded someone unexpectedly, it would usually slow the entire line down if they had to search for their ID or didn't have it on them and had to run out to their car or find another cashier to vouch for them or whatever.

Really, everyone who buys alcohol or tobacco should have to show some form of photo ID. Of course, that would require making sure everyone has government-issued photo ID several months before they turn 18 and can easily update it or replace it when necessarily, and that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Dikiyoba.

I really like "gourmet grape juice" (as they call it). It's grape juice made with wine grapes but kept cool so it never ferments (and filtered to get rid of the yeast). Tastes as good as wine but contains no alcohol.

Dealcoholized wine is an attempt to do the same thing, but it's nowhere near as good. This is wine that had the alcohol removed, which harms the taste, too.

Really, everyone who buys alcohol or tobacco should have to show some form of photo ID. Of course, that would require making sure everyone has government-issued photo ID several months before they turn 18 and can easily update it or replace it when necessarily, and that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Dikiyoba.

Maryland recently changed its tobacco laws, requiring that the customer's age be entered at point of sale. Needless to say, the older population wasn't too happy.

I never had to deal with tobacco, but when my company decided to start carding for all credit purchased over $25. Countless people have sworn at me or just walked out. People are delightful!

Edit: you should have known better. Starting a topic to remedy the drifting of other topics? A perfect recipe for drift.

I find it unusual when people card me for smokes, but I tend to buy them at the same places enough to where the people know me.

When I'm getting alcohol, I have my cash and ID ready before I go to purchase. I think it's ridiculous for people to get upset over being carded, because that's their job.

I have recently started drinking wine, because I can take half a bottle in one night and get a buzz. I'm getting to old to get really drunk anymore.

It's annoying being 20 and having friends who are all 21. Some day, some day...
Patience, my young apprentice. Not all of us can have the novelty of drinking alcohol wear off by the ripe old age of 14. ;)

As for having to show ID, I'll never forget the first time I bought beer. The cashier kept rechecking my ID to make sure it wasn't fake; he finally gave up after about 5 minutes, and sold me the beer.

I'm curious, but I haven't seen any for sale (not that I've looked hard). Does it really come out with the right sourness and alcoholic bite of wine? Losing either would substantially change the drink. Not for the worse, maybe, and I'll quite happily drink grape juice as well as its fermented cousin, but I can't imagine it being like wine but secretly non-alcoholic.

—Alorael, who got around to trying non-alcoholic beer recently and found that while it's not great, he could see it being a fine acquired taste (much like beer, really). But that only works if what you want isn't beer, because it's similar but not the same.

I'm curious, but I haven't seen any for sale (not that I've looked hard). Does it really come out with the right sourness and alcoholic bite of wine? Losing either would substantially change the drink.

I honestly can't compare the two, because I've never had wine. But it has a much richer taste than ordinary grape juice.

If I drink tequila, I regret it the next morning. I'm more of a whiskey man, either straight or mixed with soda. I'm partial to Jameson and Maker's Mark, but I also enjoy Jack Daniels, especially Gentleman Jack and Jim Beam. I also like good scotch, especially Glenlivet and Macallan.

I used to drink whiskey when I was younger. I have had a bottle of pretty much every type they carry at local liquor stores. I still enjoy Jameson, but not much else.

Tequila is my happy drink. Whiskey is my unruly drink where I flirt with people I shouldn't and break/steal public property like road signs.

I can get grape juice bottled by vintners here, and it's very good, but it isn't really much like wine. Most wines aren't nearly that sweet, and the ones that are, are normally concentrated in some bizarre way (like deliberately letting the grapes shrivel, or even freeze) to make quite a different kind of elixir. In the early fall we get new wine, that starts out as grape juice and slowly turns to cloudy, slightly fizzy wine in your fridge. Do not leave a closed jug on the counter and go away for a weekend. It will blow up all over your kitchen.

Tequila, tequila, tequila. Specifically, Tarantula Azure or Silver Patron.

Also, I just noticed the Oosquai tag. Clever :)

If I drink tequila, I regret it the next morning. I'm more of a whiskey man, either straight or mixed with soda. I'm partial to Jameson and Maker's Mark, but I also enjoy Jack Daniels, especially Gentleman Jack and Jim Beam. I also like good scotch, especially Glenlivet and Macallan.

Tequila, beer and wine are my pet hates when it comes to alcohol. When I was about 16-18 i was quite partial to bourbon, and occaisonally rum. Now I mostly stick to Jameson, on occaison I'll have rum, or something along those lines.

I can get grape juice bottled by vintners here, and it's very good, but it isn't really much like wine. Most wines aren't nearly that sweet

I think this is true. All three kinds of juice that I get (white, red, green) are probably sweeter than ordinary wine. They're still far richer in flavor than any other juice I've ever tasted, especially the red, and the green has a kind of sourness to it, but they are sweeter than one (I) might expect from (the smell of) wine.

Yeah, most wine is actually not sweet at all. The yeast eats up most of the sugar. One issue is simply what grapes are made into juice. The North American standard purple Welch's grape juice is made from Concord grapes, I believe. I understand you can make wine out of them, but they're not one of the dozen or so standard varietals for wine. If you find you appreciate a better class of grape juice, you might find you really like wine. Alcohol is a great solvent for aromas.

Yeah, most wine is actually not sweet at all. The yeast eats up most of the sugar. One issue is simply what grapes are made into juice. The North American standard purple Welch's grape juice is made from Concord grapes, I believe. I understand you can make wine out of them, but they're not one of the dozen or so standard varietals for wine. If you find you appreciate a better class of grape juice, you might find you really like wine. Alcohol is a great solvent for aromas.

I'm not a big wine fan, but I actually like Manischewitz Concord grape kosher wine because it's sweet and tastes like alcoholic grape juice. :p

Manischewitz is one of those things that I think would do a lot better if people didn't go in expecting wine. As a sweet, alcoholic fruit juice it's not bad at all, but it's not what I want when I want wine. If I wanted Manischewitz I'd be pretty disappointed with a good Cabernet Sauvignon, too.

—Alorael, who has similar feelings about cider (that's kind of like apple juice to many of you outside the US) and hard cider (regular cider). They're both good, but when he wants to drink one he'll be disappointed by getting the other. And a little upset if he's planning on driving or operating heavy machinery, maybe.

I visited a friend that lived in Forest Grove last year and she took us to Sake One. We sampled several selections and all agreed that many did taste good. We then sampled their carbonated plum sake and found what perfection tastes like: Moonstone Plum Sake (you will have to carbonate it yourself as they do not sell it outside of their tasting room).

Sake and gin are the two types of (normally drunk) alcohol that I've never liked ... both make me feel a bit queasy when I drink them for some reason. I don't have the problem with other liquors or wines, or with any beers that I've tried - so I'm not sure what the deal is with those.

Actually, the gin might be because of that one night in college ... I remember very little except a large bottle of gin, some beer pong, and a porcelain throne ...

Gin smells of juniper, and when my brother and I were small, we used to crawl through the mazy spaces under juniper bushes around my parents' cottage, looking for rabbits. So I like gin. Straight gin also reminds me of doctors' offices and needles, though. The alcohol is pretty medicinal. So I don't really like martinis, but gin and tonic is nice.

I can't even stomach gin, or brandy for that matter. Although, the worst alcohol I've tried is a "beer" called Pabst Blue Ribbon. I've accidentally drank spoiled milk before, and I would rate that experience as more pleasant than that foul substance.

PBR is basically water, from all accounts I'm aware. Cheap and flavorless to get you drunk.

Although, the worst alcohol I've tried is a "beer" called Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Ah, the wonderful American tradition of terrible beer. I don't think Pabst is the worst of the bunch; there's plenty of awful to go around.

In fairness, I also think it probably appeals to people. It's really much like a non-sweet, slightly alcoholic soda. (So not at all like a soda, but bear with me.) It's just not really what I want from beer, but then to the extent that I have beer preferences, which isn't a great extent, I like stouts and porters.

—Alorael, who needs to set the record straight one one subject: if he is going to have a mixed drink, which isn't all that often, he wants it to be the sweetest, fruitiest drink he can get. Or chocolate, if it's available. The liquor's not going to carry it for him so there'd better be something worth imbibing in the mix.

I enjoy PBR and Rainier. Quite a bit actually. It's light enough that I can drink it all night with my buddies, as opposed to higher quality beer which makes my tummy full quite quickly. And because it's more watered down, I am significantly less likely to get hung over.

I can't even stomach gin, or brandy for that matter. Although, the worst alcohol I've tried is a "beer" called Pabst Blue Ribbon. I've accidentally drank spoiled milk before, and I would rate that experience as more pleasant than that foul substance.
I've had quite a few beers in my day, and I can sympathize. Next time, you may want to try Samuel Adams or Heineken; they're much better than PBR. St. Pauli Girl is good too, and so is (if you can take it, it's relatively strong stuff) Guinness. Also, avoid Schlitz at all costs, it tastes just like the name; the same is true of Mississippi Mud, only more so.

I can get grape juice bottled by vintners here, and it's very good, but it isn't really much like wine. Most wines aren't nearly that sweet, and the ones that are, are normally concentrated in some bizarre way (like deliberately letting the grapes shrivel, or even freeze) to make quite a different kind of elixir.

that´s called "mosto" in spain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Must