Quick food poll

keira

Food poll!  

44 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to give up one, what would you give up?

• Meat, in all its glory
    • Bread, in all its glory
    • Sugar, in all its glory
    • Dairy, in all its glory
    • Fruits
    • Vegetables
  2. 2. Which ones do you fancy?

• Meat, in all its glory
    • Bread, in all its glory
    • Dairy, in all its glory
    • Fruits
    • Vegetables

Is this better :)

from Oliver:

Is it worth the waiting for,

If we live till eighty-four

All we ever get is gruel,

Every day we say our prayers

Will they change the bill of fair?

Still we get the same old gruel

There's not a crust not a crumb

Can we find can we beg can we borrow or cadge,

But there's nothing to stop us from getting a thrill,

When we all close our eyes and imagine,

Food glorious food

Hot sausage and mustard

While we're in the mood cold jelly and custard

Pease pudding and saveloys

What next is the question?

Rich gentlemen have it boys

IN-DI-GESTION

Food glorious food

What is there more handsome

Gulped swallowed or chewed

Still worth a kings ransom

What is it we dream about?

What brings on a sigh?

Piled peaches and cream about six feet high

Food glorious food

Were anxious to try it

3 banquets a day

Our favourite diet

Just picture a great big steak fried, roasted or stewed

Oh food marvelous food wonderful food magical food fabulous food beautiful food

GLORIOUS FOOD

Well...

Meats: I like salmon and other fish. I eat mammal meat sometimes, but I prefer my meat to be lean.

Bread: A staple

Sugar: Most of the sugar in my diet comes from fruits and whatever I have in my coffee.

Dairy: I like my cheeses (extra sharp cheddar is awesome), and they're essential as a source of fat, but lactose intolerance limits my consumption. I wish I could drink more milk.

Fruits: Bananas and oranges are favorites here. Not a lot of variety for the time being because I mostly eat at the dormitory cafe.

Vegetables: Spinach is amazing. I eat other vegetables, but a day isn't complete without a bowl of plain, raw spinach (it's nasty when cooked).

Giving up one of those categories would screw up my diet, but I'd have to go with dairy due to the aforementioned lactose intolerance. I fancy all of the categories, although sugar overlaps with fruits. This poll noticeably leaves out rice.

I have been having meats with only four to six meals a week (mostly fish or shell fish products and some chicken, no beef at all) and have upped my intake of starches and veggies As far as fruits go I like apples and will get them when they are on sale along with bananas, many berries and citrus too, but I find that some fruits are too sugary. I tend to avoid sugar heavy processed items (junk food and all that) and find that when I do eat the junk that if I eat more than two or three bites I feel sick from it. As for dairy I could not live without my brie cheeses.

My position regarding sugar is like that of Jack in two and a half men, I don't eat it unless it's in cake or pastries or stuff. :p

In general though I really love fruits, no summer can ever be complete without the Mango, and Bananas are really good too, I love most other fruits too except for that green, star shaped,heavily sour insult to nature whose name I can't remember currently.

I am not a huge fan of dairy products but I like curd and Buttermilk very much.

This poll noticeably leaves out rice.

If I'd made this poll, I'd have found it hard to leave rice out. Breakfast usually involves rice mashed, mixed and transformed into various formats. For lunch, it's rice with the default look and feel. And for dinner, it's mostly rice sweetened up into a pudding-like composition.

But we don't just cook some rice up and eat it just like that, there'll be an assortment of hot and spicy curries to go with it - Sambar, Pulissery, Pachady, Bliss (a British derivation), pulingary etc. And the occassional salad.

Love bread, sugar, diary and fruits.

Rice is taxonomically close enough to bread, as both are grainey.

can you make rice bread, that might be good but probably not

Rice bread is pretty heavy, but you can make a very decent gluten free bread by combining rice flour with other things, like cornstarch, tapioca starch, bean flours, sorghum, and so on.

I've largely given up meat for years now, largely for lack of any real taste for it. I do like fish, but I eat it rarely enough that giving it up as well wouldn't be much of a hardship. I've recently started eating more eggs, but that's very recent and I'm still not immensely fond of them.

As far as dairy, I eat quite a lot of yogurt, but little cheese and less milk, andI think I could give up the whole class of foods without any trouble.

Sugar is nice, but it's definitely not a staple. I'd miss chocolate, but most of the chocolate I eat is bitter, unsweetened cocoa anyway.

Fruits and vegetables are delicious, but my staple is breads and cereals. Cheerios are my comfort food, oatmeal is my usual breakfast, sandwiches are a great lunch, and rice and quinoa make a great bed for the vegetables above.

—Alorael, who thinks there's another important category missing: beans. He doesn't love them, although he eats a fair amount, with the exception of lentils. Spiced lentils are fantastic.

At first I interpreted sugar very broadly - many things, such as fruit, have sugar that you need to survive. Looking through this thread more, I'm looking at that category more narrowly as candies and sweets. Certainly not my favorite group, though it's a nice treat every now and then. Looking back, as all of the other categories are staples in my diet, I'd give up sugar. Indeed, I basically already have. However, I voted for meat at the time since I misunderstood the category, on the basis that I gave it up before for a year, so I could do it again if I wanted.

Fruit = delicious

Vegetables = not so delicious

Therefore pears are now vegetables. Potatoes are now fruits. Tomatoes have always been vegetables. Bring on the hateful comments.

(I do like many vegetables. There's just many I dislike, and that doesn't happen for most of the other food groups.)

I can't really see myself giving up any food group. Except maybe sugar, if it wasn't for the fact that fruits are full of sugars.

I hear the same about bacon, but I find bacon disgusting and butter not much better, except as used in baking and a few soups. Buttering bread is like ruining good food.

—Alorael, who believes that anything can be improved with olive oil. It's good for sautéing, roasting, and drizzling. Garlic is the other key vegetable condiment.

I see I'm not alone in not caring much for bacon, except that it is excellent on burgers. Plain or on anything else, and bacon doesn't work.

I like meat, and would prefer not giving it up.

Giving up bread would be giving out a hell of a lot, including those delicious cresants.

I assume sugar refers to processed sugar, and not natural like those in fruits. If it weren't for the fact that I use it to counter the bitterness in coffee, I'd be perfectly fine giving it up. Even then I'd still be alright, as bitter coffee is still nice, but coffee that is neither sweet nor bitter is just perfect.

Fruit is nice, though I don't find myself eating much of it. Watermelon is a personal favorite, though, and not just for nostalgic reasons.

I can't see myself getting rid of vegetables. Excellent in stir fry among other things, and are healthy as well.

I think giving up fruit would hurt the least, all things considered.

Meat I suppose, if I had to give something up. Were I a rational person (ironic given the pseudonym I picked) I'd go with sugar of course, as it's the only option with no important nutritional role. There are vegetable and dairy based protein sources however, so I could make do without meat. But not without chocolate - so meat goes, sugar stays.

One of the great sorrows of my most recent relocation is that I went from living practically around the corner from a great place to get dosa to living in a forsaken wasteland without anything close by but pizza. To add insult to injury no nearby grocery stores carry garam masala. The benefit is that I've started grinding my own; the downside is that I have to find a store that sells the necessary ingredients whole, which is even harder.

Posthumous delicacies include pan de muerto and other Día de los Muertos offrendas and a number of offerings provided in other cultures. But from my dead experience I'm really a fan of the pan.

—Alorael, who doesn't see the need for sugar in chocolate. He adds unsweetened cocoa powder to all kinds of things. It's great in plain yogurt, and it makes for an oddly appealing bitter sludge in oatmeal (and sweet sludge that he thinks of as molten chocolate if you add honey). This is how he consumes most of his chocolate now, on an almost daily basis. He's also tried making bitter chocolate mousse. It was intense, but it really does benefit from sweetness. But this is coming from someone who will happily eat bars of unsweetened baking chocolate, so your mileage may vary.

Sorry sugar. I have betrayed you.

-----------

Sugar gives you energy, but too much sugar gives you diabetes.

=====

Veggies are good. I can survive an island alone eating lettuce and cherry tomatoes, as long as there is ranch dressing, my laptop, free and fast Wi-Fi, an Ak-47 with unlimited ammo, a mansion, nice clothes, several maids and servants, a giant nuclear reactor to provide the electricity and a farm of tomatoes and lettuce.

-----------

-Test Subject 8552

Sugar gives you energy, but too much sugar gives you diabetes.

It's really much more accurate to say that diabetes gives you too much sugar. Metabolic syndrome can give you diabetes, but that's more linked to total caloric intake than sugar per se. Autoimmune diabetes has nothing to do with sugar intake.

—Alorael, who brings you this moment on behalf of pedantic disease discussion as someone who has a family history of an unusual autosomal dominant diabetes gene.

"bleh folks, everything is good for your body, just don´t exceed in anything, the responsability is yours to learn about your mistakes, thus grow up on the know of the consecuences of your actions, is not mine, if you´re a fat blob and got diabetes you are doing something wrong. What The hell, you complaint about balance in games you play with your ass sitting in front of a computer, yet if you get diabetes you are well unbalanced yourself at life: avoid sedentarism":

Mother Shaper Nature.

That's also untrue. Almost nothing is good in excess, but some things you'd have to consume in ridiculously vast quantities to suffer adverse effects, while others it's quite easy. And some things have no healthy level, just worse and worse effects as you eat more. Think spinach, fats, and heavy metals.

—Alorael, who thinks that "all things in moderation" isn't a bad food mantra. It's just that for some foods moderation is quite a lot, and for others it's none at all. Moderation isn't an amount, it's mostly a brake on your eating urges.

Where is the problem?, there is not a problem, the problem is yours always?: eat, face your illness as a consecuence, then learn about the mistake, ergo you know your body better> your happiness is on the way as you grow up if you don´t refuse to listen to your body advice through illness and pain> you make your unique place on reality, beyond general consensuses. Did you knew those are your masters?, they are; to our general displeasure, as shaper Rawal.

Yeah, we can´t make general assumptioms. But we all are that simple as i have said in the previous paragraph.