Avadon 2 Announced.

Spidweb

I finally announced Avadon 2. The page is here ...

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon2/index.html

It's been a long slow slog getting this game up and running, but we're finally making good progress. I think it'll have a lot of improvements over the first one.

The pacing is a lot better, especially in the early game. It doesn't take as long for interesting things to start happening.

I'm putting in a lot of desired tweaks. You will be able to enter zones from multiple directions (you can enter a zone through any exit you have reached). I'm evaluating giving more skill points as the game progresses to loosen up skills you can train a little.

There is a fifth character class, and male and female versions of all characters are available.

The game won't be out until Fall, and I'm shooting for a simultaneous Mac and Windows release. We're going to try to be on Steam again, of course.

And many thanks to all the fans who helped Avadon to be a huge success for us. Without you, Avadon 2 would never happen. Thank you!

- Jeff Vogel

I'm going to miss the whining of the Windows users about it not being out. :)

In that case we can start whining because of the windows version getting released at the same time of the mac one. :D :D :D :D

Just kidding.

Anyway, great news! I'm really curious about that fifth class.

By the look of the character rooster on screenshots it appears there are some new avatars and/or more polished ones.

Lucky me there are some cool games coming out in March to make it less torturing to wait for Avadon 2.

And yes, bring it to Steam, pretty please. :D

First, I want to say I am new to this forum and joined just so I can ask this question. I loved Avadon on my tablet (Android). Being the first real CRPG on that platform (that reminds me of the good old days of gaming) I found it had a great interface and was just plain ol' fun. Are there plans to bringing this to Android as well? If not, would you consider a kickstarter to get it ported over? I love playing Avadon 1 on my table, and would love to play 2 there as well!

I'm skeptical that all 3 versions come out at same time.

The iPad version might come out later (because the iPad versions of other Spiderweb games are only available at the iTunes App Store), but if Jeff is distributing games through Steam and other places now, it makes sense to release the Mac and Windows versions at the same time, even if the Mac version is finished first.

Dikiyoba hopes simultaneous releases will be the end of any differences between versions, like the drayk damage type in G4. Apparently, drayks do physical damage on the Mac version, but fire damage on Windows. Game strategy shouldn't change depending on whether you are playing on a Mac or PC (or iPad, now).

This will mean that the Windows version will no longer start with all the bug fixes that regular players catch with the Mac version.

Although, maybe the mac version will have fewer bugs initially because there will presumably be more people beta-testing prior to the release (since he'll have two versions to beta-test).

I find it hilarious that there are sort-of parallel discussions on this forum and in General over this announcement.

The idea of interesting stuff happening early sounds nice - I found the demo of Avadon decidedly on the boring side.

I also really hope the new game gives more meaningful choices than its predecessor offered. From what I read on here, it seems like the first game offered a fair number of "choices" that had little to no meaningful impact on the game, or offered relatively constrictive choices reminiscent of G3. I suppose if one desires chiefly to inculcate cynicism and a sense of futility, perhaps this will be effective, but I don't find it conducive to enjoyment.

The limit might go up, but I wouldn't count on it. I think the reason for the low cap was two-fold. One, it ensured that lockpicks remained a meaningful resource to manage throughout the game. Two, it solved a problem that Jeff observed in Geneforge: some players would focus on non-combat skills to such a degree that they crippled their parties, found the game unplayable, and stopped. He wanted to guide people away from doing that.

—Alorael, who thinks that's especially important in Avadon. At least Geneforge nominally offered many non-combat solutions to problems. Avadon is really back to killing things. If you can't kill things you can't play.

I suppose it's probably easier to write the plot if you don't have to come up with alternative paths that don't involve head-on assaults for every problem, but I really liked the leadership / mechanics alternative solutions in the Geneforge series. Sad that Avadon lacks anything like that.

Given the rev-up time it took to even make it to the announcement, I can't help but think some very dramatic improvements are in store for this series.

Not that Avadon was by any means bad, but now instead of having to build a story world and game engine from scratch, all that time can be leveraged into refinement and improvement. Plus each time Jeff has the benefit of past experience. A larger game firm may swap out developers on a whim, but Spiderweb never loses experience - it only gains.