When you wake up in the morning...

Brocktree

When you wake up in the morning...  

46 members have voted

1. 1. do you feel refreshed and energetic?

• Yes
    • No

I never feel refreshed in the morning. If I've gotten very little sleep (generally five hours or less) I actually feel okay, just a little bit tired, but I'll feel steadily worse over the course of the day, usually awful by noon. If I've gotten a good amount of sleep (7-8 hours) I'll feel completely awful for the first twenty or thirty minutes of being awake and then feel fine regardless of caffeine. With any more sleep than that I tend to feel funny for at least an hour after waking.

—Alorael, who is a believer in coffee as a performance-enhancing drug He drinks it sometimes, but usually only when he really need to be awake. That's usually when he has to listen to someone say something boring and can't discreetly nap. Tea's wonderful, but not caffeinated enough that he's ever noticed any effect.

Yes. Have to be. School sucks. It sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks.

'Specially considering I sleep all the way up to the bus and quickly throw all my stuff on and together at the last minute.

Did I mention it sucks?

On the weekends, where I sleep to my hearts content, I am even more energetic in the morning, having slept all I could.

Never if you'd ask me. I do not drink coffee nor tea. When I know it is time for school, I force myself to stand, and meanwhile, having a very rude attitude. Waking up at mornings suck. But on afternoons, it's alright.

Trenton and I have a really similar coincidence when it comes to these...

----------

-Test Subject 8552

Its all a mixed bag but in reality no I don't. I feel better the night before thinking of everything I want to do tomorrow. Then when tomorrow comes, I'm still exhausted.

And when I was in high school it was even worse. I'd go to bed at 3 in the morning and get up the next day at 6am. I'd get to school and everyone in there would think I was the biggest stoner kid due to my red eyes. I remember once (on 4/20), someone asked me if I was ready for tonight. I didn't know what they were talking about at the time and asked what 4/20 meant. They then laughed and told me I was already there. Only my close friends knew that I never touched drugs, while the rest of the school thought I was this huge stoner.

I'm not a morning person. It normally takes me a long while to wake up and get going. That said, on occasion, I'll go to bed earlier and wake up nice and early just because. I still take my morning at a leisurely pace, but I'm much happier. That happens every, say, one day in six months.

Its all a mixed bag but in reality no I don't. I feel better the night before thinking of everything I want to do tomorrow. Then when tomorrow comes, I'm still exhausted.

Interesting! I feel exactly the same way. It's nice to know I'm not some sort of freak.

I never feel refreshed in the morning. If I've gotten very little sleep (generally five hours or less) I actually feel okay, just a little bit tired, but I'll feel steadily worse over the course of the day, usually awful by noon. If I've gotten a good amount of sleep (7-8 hours)

That's also interesting. Maybe you feel OK on 5-6 hours because you've just started your 2nd cycle of sleep, and haven't entered deep sleep yet. That would also explain why you tend to have a lot of grogginess on 8 hours sleep. You're near the end of your second sleep cycle (deep wave sleep), and find it hard to wake up. Before any of my exams, I used to sleep very little, and very lightly, so I'd wake up immediately very alert.

Anyway, I started the thread because I've had a lack of energy for the last few years, particularly on the weekends. I do generally sleep too little, too late, and too erratically.

I remember exactly twice in my life waking up feeling extremely energetic and alert. The first time was near the end of a military training exercise, when I had finally gotten about six hours of sleep, after several days on between 2 and 4 hours per night, while doing a lot of heavy work. The second time I'm pretty sure I had gone to bed drunk, though maybe not too badly, after popping a couple of Tylenols to help with the hangover I anticipated the next day. I might also just have been sleep-deprived then, too.

My guess is that there's a depth of sleep, or something, that I normally never reach. It would be nice to be able to turn it on every night.

I am a former computer science major. I don't wake up in the morning.

^

Though lately I've worked on breaking that trend, rearranging work load to the point where all-nighters become an occasional occurrence rather than a weekly one. I'm officially mid-twenties now. Have to get my health up if I want to last another half-century.

Interestingly, how refreshed I feel on waking up has next to nothing to do with how long I slept, but depends on the time of day. I feel better waking up at 7:00 after three hours of sleep than at noon after eight*. Could be psychological.

Edited by ????⟦⟧
*Though a 7:00 after eight (which has indeed happened a few times) feels still better of course.

And when I was in high school it was even worse. I'd go to bed at 3 in the morning and get up the next day at 6am. I'd get to school and everyone in there would think I was the biggest stoner kid due to my red eyes. I remember once (on 4/20), someone asked me if I was ready for tonight. I didn't know what they were talking about at the time and asked what 4/20 meant. They then laughed and told me I was already there. Only my close friends knew that I never touched drugs, while the rest of the school thought I was this huge stoner.

How lucky of you. You are allowed to sleep up to 3am? For me, even though I slept at 9 in the evening, I still want to kill my bed. Yeah, I have this feeling that I want to kill my bed, even though it was my fault for waking up, I blame the bed.

--------

-Test Subject 8552

I often have a feeling of adrenaline rush when I wake up on little sleep. I think it's the awareness that I absolutely have to function and am in no way physiologically ready that kicks me into overdrive for a while. It's brief but it works.

—Alorael, who has similar experiences when nodding off at times when he really can't afford to. He can have a sudden strange feeling in his chest and then the fog of exhaustion lifts and he's full of temporary clarity. It's panic, but it's effective.

I wake up in the morning with the most energy I'll have all day. If I slept nine or ten hours, that's a fair amount. Six or seven, and it's not much at all. In any case, I am fairly bad at sleeping in unless I've had a VERY late night, so I pretty much have to make due. I have yet to wake up in the morning feeling like P. Diddy, so that's something.

Depends on whether I'm in the middle of a rather intense project. No project, and I sleep soundly, wake up refreshed. Big project and I wake up before O-Dark-Thirty with a brain buzz that won't let me sleep. All last year was one major project after another.

I've always been a morning person, intolerably happy while everyone else is blindly groping for their coffee. My worst time of the day is between 2 and 3 in the afternoon, I think siesta should be a standard practice. Micro sleep does help to get through the day.

For me I just feel like if I am having a good day and am enjoying myself at home, why not stay up till at least 2am. For me I have no point in going to bed early when I dont have work the next day. My father is completely the opposite to me. Going to bed every night (even weekends) at 8:30pm. They called him grandpa in college. Truly a fitting name as I dont know anyone person that has done the same. lol

For me I just feel like if I am having a good day and am enjoying myself at home, why not stay up till at least 2am. For me I have no point in going to bed early when I dont have work the next day. My father is completely the opposite to me. Going to bed every night (even weekends) at 8:30pm. They called him grandpa in college. Truly a fitting name as I dont know anyone person that has done the same. lol

I've been doing the same mostly except at between 9 and 10pm since my recovery, mainly because I can. It's really quite interesting being able to sleep consistantly for the first time in ever.