When you wake up in the morning...

Brocktree

When you wake up in the morning...  

46 members have voted

1. 1. do you feel refreshed and energetic?

• Yes
    • No

I'm always groggy until I run, after which point I have way more energy. 2 miles, 6mph, on the treadmill. I usually skip Saturdays and Sundays, but I'm really proud of myself as when I first started running a year or so ago I couldn't run for 2 minutes without feeling like I was having a heart attack. It took a bloody lot of work to get to the point where I could run 2 miles straight without dying, so I like to brag about it as much as possible now (yeah, it's kind of douchey, but at least I'm not a bicycler....bicyclers are the worst).

Having started a job, and today having to be there at 9, I can now answer this.

No.

Congratulations Sylae. I hope it is one you can grow to enjoy once you get past the ritual of morning. If not, then I hope it makes a good stepping stone toward a job you can look forward to going to in the morning.

Hah. Old people with your jobs. I'm going to be alive ten years after you're all gone and all I have to do is study, and write. The youth are obviously superior.

WHY? MY BACK! Oh, where did the years go?

Having done that for years now (all my life if you include school and software developer training), I find the prospect of a real job kind of appealing. The TA positions are occasionally fun, but they're mostly stressful, barely paid, repetitive and (worst) they don't come with an office. And worst, I can expect at least another decade of that if I want a PhD.

You know the people who say that academia is its own reward? Screw that. It's its own punishment.

Unfortunately most entry-level jobs are also their own punishment, and that tends to include "entry-level" for the over-educated in or from academia. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

—Alorael, who tried to live a life of indolent luxury without the burdens of miserable employment. His plan actually worked surprisingly well. The only part missing was luxury.

Unfortunately most entry-level jobs are also their own punishment, and that tends to include "entry-level" for the over-educated in or from academia. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

But since you're going to have to face those entry-level jobs whenever you leave academia, you might as well leave as soon as you attain the education you want and be damned for as short a time period as possible.

Dikiyoba took a year off from college for a boring minimum-wage job several years back. It was stressful, barely paid, repetitive, and didn't come with an office, but strangely liberating because it wasn't school.

• 3 weeks later...