Migrating saved game to iPad

Tim F

Avernum 6 seemed to work fine when I installed the app on my iPad 2, but upon opening a saved game that I migrated from my Mac using Jeff's online instructions I get "Talking error: Dialog script broken or absent" when I try to interact with a friendly or hostile NPC, and it 'opens' a door as if it were a chest.

- I migrated all four save files, from one folder into a single folder on my iPad.

- the saved game seems to have the party's status, progress, position etc. correct, only the script(s) don't seem to work.

- Starting a new game on the iPad works fine.

Any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure that saved games aren't cross-platform, unfortunately (except for Avadon, and I guess maybe anything newer than that?). That's why it's not working - there's platform-specific code in the saved games that means you can't play a Mac save file on a PC, and I guess neither on an iPad.

Sorry. :(

"there's platform-specific code in the saved games that means you can't play a Mac save file on a PC, and I guess neither on an iPad."

Odd. Jeff writes here:

Saved games for Avernum 6 HD on the iPad are fully compatible with Avernum 6 for Macintosh or Windows. The tricky part is moving the saved games onto and off of the device. Fortunately, there is a free program called iExplorer that can be used to access your iPad saved games.

Go to Macroplant's web site and download and install iExplorer. This is a free app that can move files onto and off of any iPhone or iPad.

When the program is showing the files in your device, open the Avernum 6 HD folder. Enter "Documents/Spiderweb Software" and then the saved games folder. The saved games are in the 7 subfolders. Be sure to pull out all 3-4 files that make up the saved game (data, header, items, and maybe journal).

Dialog script broken or absent" when I try to interact with a friendly or hostile NPC, and it 'opens' a door as if it were a chest.

I've seen this error on my windows game, it happened when my computer closed down without being shut down(the game was running at the time), my guess is that this error occurs if your save files have got corrupted or something.

Try starting a new fresh game in mac, save it and check if you can migrate that file successfully to the ipad, if the error persists then I can't say anything but if it doesn't then the problem probably was with the save files rather than the migration.

Don't feel corrected too soon, Nikki. Despite what Jeff says no amount of tinkering can get the scripts to work on my iPad. I tried reinstalling the app, rebooting, migrating the files a couple of different ways, saving and restarting the imported games, etc. If there is a way to get a Mac game to work on a iPad I have not found it.

If you'd read the thread, Earth Empires, you'd have seen that I'd already offered that information here:

I'm pretty sure that saved games aren't cross-platform, unfortunately (except for Avadon, and I guess maybe anything newer than that?). That's why it's not working - there's platform-specific code in the saved games that means you can't play a Mac save file on a PC, and I guess neither on an iPad.

Tim then quoted Jeff himself saying this though:

Jeff writes here:

Saved games for Avernum 6 HD on the iPad are fully compatible with Avernum 6 for Macintosh or Windows. The tricky part is moving the saved games onto and off of the device. Fortunately, there is a free program called iExplorer that can be used to access your iPad saved games.

Go to Macroplant's web site and download and install iExplorer. This is a free app that can move files onto and off of any iPhone or iPad.

When the program is showing the files in your device, open the Avernum 6 HD folder. Enter "Documents/Spiderweb Software" and then the saved games folder. The saved games are in the 7 subfolders. Be sure to pull out all 3-4 files that make up the saved game (data, header, items, and maybe journal).