They Cleaned My Clock

NamelessOne

Im trying to figure out how to survive in this game. It was an easy ride for the first 5 levels but now Im up to fighting the white rats and they are destroying me in Rats Aplenty. Am I doing something wrong, some of the enemy has 2-4 attacks and I only have 1 attack per each of my 2 warriors. They can dish out more damage in one round than I can in 2. Is there a skill level of hardiness that will deflect more damage or do I need more health?

There are a few things you can do that may help. For one thing, if you haven't already cleared out some of the other easier areas, like the bandits and undead, you can do that to gain more equipment and perhaps another level. You can also enlist the help of the spectre to get some extra melee capability.

It isn't quite clear to me whether you're using a party of just two fighters, or you have a larger party of which two are the primary fighters. In the former case the going will be tough, but you may be able to win by using potions, or by having you're character invest in some basic spellcasting. In the latter case you should have you're other character provide support like blessing and hastening. I don't think any of the rats is particularly fast, so only a couple of them can sometimes get two attacks per turn, but if you you use haste you can guarantee giving your characters two attacks per turn.

There's no specific level of of hardiness that will suddenly solve your problems; its effect are fairly small. (I'm not certain of details, but the game's description suggests that having N levels of hardiness means that the damage you take can be reduced by up to N, so when enemies are dealing over 20 damage trying to block it all with hardiness clearly isn't feasible.) More Endurance may help; I'd recommend that your lead character should probably have at least 7 levels or so, but it's probably also impractical to raise that stat alone high enough to be able to just soak up all of the damage in the largest fights without needing healing.

That sounds good, I will try and get some potions and do what you said. I am using 3 characters and slowly learning the tactics that make the game interesting. One of the tactics I just learned was that if your mage hastes himself, he instantly gains a new turn with 2 attacks. Are there any other tactics for my fighters or should I just go all out with potions and hasting?

(Sorry it took me a while to get back to you, I haven't been the most attentive of late.)

As far as other tactics go, a lot depends on how you've distributed your skill points and what items you've been able to scrounge up. Things like bows and thrown missiles can be very useful because they can let you do melee-type damage to enemies well across the battlefield. Wands and scrolls can also help, since they can let your fighters cast offensive spells, in basically the way that potions let any character do the equivalent of casting a defensive spell on itself. Another handy trick is that using an item from your inventory only takes 3 AP, and you get 4 AP by default. So, a fighter can drink a potion and then still take another action, like striking an adjacent enemy with a melee weapon, firing an arrow, or using a second item. Similarly, a mage who is out of energy can drink an energy potion, and then immediately cast a spell.