Really loved the old Exile series, which game should I buy?

FreefallGeek

I grew up on Exile 3 and it was one of the first RPG games I really fell in love with. I didn't realize until recently this company was still making games! I'm thrilled. What game should I get into? I downloaded Avadon off Steam but I wasn't thrilled that the character creation system that existed in Exile appears to have been gone. Should I keep playing Avadon or grab one of the other titles? Thanks!

Avernum is closest to Exile with the first three being remakes with added content. The Second Avernum Trilogy uses a continuous map and some other changes that require a different strategy.

Nethergate is a good choice since it's similar, but a different world.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Otherwise the fluffy turtles may attack. :)

Welcome, etc, (read my signature)

Having begun my experience with Spiderweb Software with Exile (the first episode), I recommend the Avernum Series.

You may also find my website helpful, with maps and other stuff. I am currently working on maps for Exile III.

I also recommend Blades of Exile. There are a couple of newer scenario editors available. For scenarios and assistance your best site is

True Site for Blades. http://www.truesite4blades.com/

What is the value of the storyline of Geneforge? Will you be completely lost if you play the last one first?

I did play the last one first,(mainly because I started with Avernum and never really cared about the other games until I ran out of Avernums), by then since G5 had the best engine I started with it, and really it doesn't cause any problems at all, you may not be able to relate to the occasional remark here and there when talking with the important characters, but otherwise the game is pretty much totally self contained.

I concur re open BoE, it runs on modern Windows and fixes many old bugs. You can grab the latest version (1.2.0a) from here:

http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

There are also a ton of scenarios. The ones I'd recommend if you liked the Exile series are those by Stareye and by Alcritas. Especially try Falling Stars.(But mind I don't play BoE much any more, and probably see some scenarios through the rose-colored glasses of my youth.)

These days, browsers' history features are pretty advanced. At least the firefox nightly's is. "us [down][enter]" takes me to my windows user dir, "s [enter]" takes me to SW, "c [enter]" takes me to calref, and "s [down][enter]" takes me to my web-hosted profile dir. I would imagine tyranicus has similar conveniences.

Shortcuts? I don't need no stinkin' shortcuts. Back in my day, we typed out URLs by hand and had to walk uphill through two feet of snow to do so.

Edited by Tyranicus
Grumble, grumble, damn kids need to get off my lawn.

You don't have to play the geneforges in order, but they do have an overall storyline and one does lead into the next. So even though you definitely won't be lost or anything if you play them out of order, you'll get more out of it if you play them in order.

Plus, they are relatively short for a spiderweb game (just like 35-60 hours each, depending on if you do everything or not). So you could almost play the first three in the time it would take you to play one avernum game.