What'd you all do with Gladwell's quests?

Leaper

(Didn't want to search too deeply into old threads - threat of spoilers.)

The way he's talked about, and the content of his second mission - which is as far as I've done his - seem pretty darn evil. OTOH, those spellbooks he has locked away look VERY tasty indeed (as spellbooks usually are).

Dilemma time! What did you all do? Will there be a point where it'll be too late to do (or too late to be useful to do)?

You have several options, but once you take his help you can't advance without doing them or face penalties. Eventually there is a way to remove the geas and teach him a lesson.

First time I played I helped him most of the game. At least enough to see all the possible rewards. Jeff wouldn't let me get rewards for uncompleted quests by killing him.

Advance? In the game? So now that I did the first one for him, I'm "forced" to do the rest? Or "take his help" meaning doing something else in the future that I haven't done yet? (I did note that he has enough influence over me to disable me from saying anything about the Spiral.)

I think he is talking about A6, I'd say go and do all his quests whenever you feel like them, you can still neutralize his threat later on.

By killing him

Oh come on, I said I thought he is talking about A6, since when are there Geas in A6?

Actually, yeah, on further reflection you're right and he's probably talking about Avernum 6. Yeah, in A6 the things Gladwell has you do are mostly Not Good, but you can stop doing them at any time. You do have to finish his entire quest line if you want to kill him, though.

Geez, sorry! Yeah, I did mean A6 - it just never occurred to me that he'd be in any of the other games!

Yeah, I figured that he was evil... But is there a reason for me to kill him? (You don't have to say what it is; just asking.)

All of the quests he asks you to complete are part of a big overarching plan. Once you find out what that plan is, yeah, you might well decide you want him dead.

also he has loot so there's always that

Hmmm... Then that may be reason to do the quests. After all, I can't stop the plan if I don't know what it is, and I can't know what it is without doing what he says, and if I don't do the quests, he'll get someone else to...

I think I like that point of view... An excuse to get at those spellbooks! :D

Thanks!

Okay, I could tolerate freeing the spirits, especially since someone beat me to it, and I was just cleaning up. I was REALLY leery of breaking the Undead Spiral, but I thought the others would hold the undead in check. And I was fooled into the whole scarab mission.

But I DRAW THE FREAKING LINE at killing Spiders! No! If that's what I have to do (and I suspect I do, given that one Spider hanging out at the mouth of that passage), Gladwell can go to freaking hell until I finish the game!

You really didn't see the scarab thing coming? Welp.

I think it's possible to do the egg quest without killing any spiders; once you get access to the eggs (they'll trust you if you've helped them out), you can run past them on the way out. It will make them permanently hostile, though.

I think it's possible to do the egg quest without killing any spiders; once you get access to the eggs (they'll trust you if you've helped them out), you can run past them on the way out. It will make them permanently hostile, though.

Huh, I just tried. I walked right by everyone without hassle. Even spoke to them.I assume that the hostility will come on if I were to return after turning in the eggs, like how the effects of the previous Gladwell quests didn't come to fruition until then either?

In A4 Gladwell is nice... (I didn't bother with his quest (or quest line if there was one). He sells all of the best spells at ridiculous instead of utterly ridiculous. :)

he gives 1 quest, feed his slimes which isn't as easy as it sounds (+1 to Arc. Summon) and could be interested about GIFTS (not as much as other person) and does all kind of experiments.

I have read the thing of spiders eggs and if u want to get the spiders eggs without the spiders to attack you, u will need to do the quest to rescue the other intelligent spiders from the giants first, then they will give u access to their eggs. u can take the eggs and then get out without being attacked by them.

I don't remember of returning back to them so i don't know if u will be attacked when u come back i don't know if they will find out that u stoled their eggs.

• 2 years later...