Editor Question

Tonweya

In a particular Scenario, I find that several of the "Special Items" are in the possession of the Player/Party from the very beginning of play. These are all items that should/would be acquired during Game-Play. And, this occurs with any type Party.

I've gone over the drop-down menus, to the best of my limited ability, and cannot find any way to remove these items.

Any help in how to remove these items, modifying the action so it cannot occur again, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

And, uh, yes, I'm still playing these Scenarios and making their "Walk-Throughs". ;^}

many thanx,

me

There is a One Shot special node type Give Special Item is used to give the item and to take the item depending on the value of Extra 1b (0=give, 1=take away). You'll have t o force the PC party to trigger a special node that chains through 0 through as many items as you want ( range is 0 to 49)

I can't believe I missed that. ;^{

Thanx a bunch.

I kept trying to find something programmed intp the Scenario, rather than the item.

kinda like I couldn't see the tree for the forest.

Again, thanx,

me

P.S. It's nice to know that there are still people out there. I look at this board regularly and fear that everyone has moved on to other pastures, so thanx for that, too. Things like that happen with age. ;^{

Are you on Windows or Mac? When I was working on the walkthrough for the Adventurers Club, I wrote a scenario editor that uses list boxes to show the description of things instead of just numbers. I also have a Stuff Done text file that is used to keep track of what a flag is for, and displays that comment on the Special Node screen. I found this feature to be particularly handy while trying to figure out what a string of specials was supposed to be doing. It is available for download on my website. It is written in Visual Basic, though, so it only works on Windows. The link is in my signature.

Windows 'XP' and Office 2003

With these programs, I've made numerous 'forms' to use for disecting Scenarios. When I'm playing with a Scenario I usually have no less than 6 things running and often 2 or 3 others; WORD: ScenText & Walk-Through, Game & Editor, XL: Towns & Sectors, PAINT: Individual Towns + Total Outdoors. If I run into something confusing, I have XL forms for the Editor Nodes and I'll often hand write the entire string of Nodes for a particular Town so I can 'visualize' the progression, although that only happens once in a while.

I'm "Old School", (71), in that I enjoyed playing with Basic and QBasic in the days of the Commodores, but had too many other things going on in my life at the time to follow-up into present-day programming. We have three sons and the oldest makes a good living programming and is my source of information when I need it. My Mom, one Sister and I all loved puzzles growing up and that led me to enjoy trouble-shooting Industrial Electrical problems for a living. Now I continue the "Puzzles" with these Scenarios.

At this age I'm no longer in the mayhem of the games, but do enjoy digging into the Scenarios, making Walk-Throughs, and repairing 'Flaws'. I have other things that keep me active enough that I don't feel guilty when the weather is foul and I spend my time doing this

me

P.S. Oh, yeah... I also type well enough to be a bit of a "ratchet-jaw". ;^}

Well I'm just a young whipper snapper in comparison (57). I've played a few of the FPS games like Wolfenstein, Doom and a few others, but I also prefer the slower paced puzzle games like Myst. That is what drew me into the Spiderweb games, and I have been ensnared ever since. My first PC was a TRS-80. The Commodores were OK, but I liked Marshall Tucker better.

One thing about the original scenario editor that annoyed me was not being able to see the entire layout of the Large towns in the zoom mode. Or seeing the boundaries for saved item locations. Or seeing boats and horses on the map as you are drawing them. I have these fixed my editor.

P.S. BTW, I'm also a perpetual punster. Occupational hazard for someone who plays with words all day.