When is the next Spidweb game coming out?

irradiata

Not surprising considering the number of people who off-load it every day here, demand-supply thingy, you know.

That would be a positive supply shock, which would tend to increase the quantity provided while simultaneously lowering prices, ceteris parabus. The problem with that assumption, though is that rather than ceteris parabus conditions being held, we instead see that tempora mutantur nos et mutamur in illis. Which is to say, de gustibus non est distputandum, and that lack of dispute is in the fact that Spiderwebbers don't seem to have a taste for sanity, hence there is no demand.

Hopefully there is a taste for Latin-heavy economic analyses of fictional markets. If not, plaudite amici, epistula finita est.

Edit: Misspelling - whoops!

That would be a positive supply shock, which would tend to increase the quantity provided while simultaneously lowering prices, ceteris parabis. The problem with that assumption, though is that rather than ceteris parabis conditions being held, we instead see that tempora mutantur nos et mutamur in illis. Which is to say, de gustibus non est distputandum, and that lack of dispute is in the fact that Spiderwebbers don't seem to have a taste for sanity, hence there is no demand.

Hopefully there is a taste for Latin-heavy economic analyses of fictional markets. If not, plaudite amici, epistula finita est.

That's certainly a very beautiful explanation, unfortunately I don't understand a single sentence of it.

Option A: Work your entire life to send kids to college. Kids graduate, decide they want to go to grad school, and turn into this.

Option B: Retire early, tell your kids to become plumbers. Kids make almost as much money (on average) as their peers who went to college and graduated with non-technical degrees.

I'm buying my 3 1/2 year old a set of pipes and wrenches for the holidays this year. :grin:

Note to self: Figure out how to start academic credential arms race in the plumbing industry.

"Why trust your pipes to a plumber? Call 763-MSCT and let a Master of Tubular Science do the job right!"

"For today's digital pipes, six years of post-graduate education is really the minimum."

"Your series of tubes ... is like the Internet."

"Hey baby, let's make our tubes serial, like the internet!"

"No thanks. Just because I run antivirus doesn't mean I'm going to deliberately open every trojan out there."

—Alorael, who knows some people who picked grad school when the economy took its downturn because in the sciences it's a steady paycheck for a few years. Then you can drop out, take a Masters, and go get out of academia. It's less effective for the programs where you have to pay or can't do anything without a full doctorate.

—Alorael, who knows some people who picked grad school when the economy took its downturn because in the sciences it's a steady paycheck for a few years. Then you can drop out, take a Masters, and go get out of academia. It's less effective for the programs where you have to pay or can't do anything without a full doctorate.

Not a very good paycheck, though. I'm continuing to work one-day-a-week at my former full-time job, and the pay for that one day is more than my stipend as a grad student. I wouldn't suggest grad school if you're doing it just for the paycheck. :)

I remember as a grad student we qualified for food stamps. :(

This was at the University of Arizona which had been sue all the way to the Supreme Court over their plan to pay college students only 75% of the federal minimum wage in order to provide more jobs. A few years later it was found out that the administration was only passing along half of the cost of living adjustment for inflation to employees and using the other half to give bonuses to a select few.

Not a very good paycheck, though. I'm continuing to work one-day-a-week at my former full-time job, and the pay for that one day is more than my stipend as a grad student. I wouldn't suggest grad school if you're doing it just for the paycheck. :)

You can make upwards of $30,000, and through some special tax properties of stipends that I'm not versed in you get to keep more of it than from a salary, apparently. That's not something I'd try to support a household on, but it's still at least as good as a lot of entry-level technician jobs in the sciences and better than the hordes of unemployed college grads who still haven't managed to land anything decent.

—Alorael, who doesn't think anyone should abandon a lucrative job for the lure of big dollars in grad school. But in the absence of a job it'll look good on your resumé and you won't starve.

You can make upwards of $30,000, and through some special tax properties of stipends that I'm not versed in you get to keep more of it than from a salary, apparently. That's not something I'd try to support a household on, but it's still at least as good as a lot of entry-level technician jobs in the sciences and better than the hordes of unemployed college grads who still haven't managed to land anything decent.

—Alorael, who doesn't think anyone should abandon a lucrative job for the lure of big dollars in grad school. But in the absence of a job it'll look good on your resumé and you won't starve.

The larger stipends (30k range) are generally (not always) at Universities in high cost-of-living areas and/or in departments where there is strong competition from high-paying industry jobs. My point was not that the stipends are so low that you shouldn't go to grad school because you'll be destitute (although in some non-STEM fields that may be true). Clearly grad school is right for some people - it can improve your future job prospects, and you can study/research cool things. If I didn't believe that I wouldn't be in grad school now. :)

My point was merely that if someone is going to grad school just for the steady stipend paycheck, they might want to reconsider. If you can get into a graduate program that pays a stipend high enough to get by off of, you could probably get a job that pays as well or better. It's true that you may get a better job after going to graduate school, but if that's why you are going, then you're aren't going just for the steady paycheck. Better job prospects is a perfectly reasonably reason to go for a Masters in many fields (and even possibly a Doctorate in a few fields, although if you want to successfully complete a Doctorate, I recommend that a love of the field be another big factor in deciding to go).

If you've just been living as an unpaid student, life as a grad student can seem positively lush. If you've come from an actual job, it'll probably be hard to adapt.

On the other hand, though, the difference between grad student lifestyle and entry-level job lifestyle may really only amount to one thing: a car. If you live near campus, in an interesting city, you probably won't miss the car.

The job market for entry-level science technicians is glutted with post-undergrads looking to buff credentials before applying to schools as well as professional technicians during good times. My point is that during the recession the numbers got even worse, and many of the jobs could offer rock-bottom wages because of the overabundance of qualified applicants. Grad school could pay just as much.

Yes, it varies by location, and field, and many other factors, but it's not so outlandish.

—Alorael, who would rate biology as having minimal entry-level pay and computer science/programming/IT as having very nice compensation and plenty of industry around. It all depends on what you studied and what programs and jobs are available.

Just to reiterate, Jeff said the date for beta testing was around June. It may end up being mid-late spring too.

I thought that he would speed up since most of the work on the game engine was already done.

Hopefully this means he's taking the time to expand the world and making it beefer. I liked the returning idea in the first Avadon but I didn't have to do it everyone time.

On a slightly related note, I wonder how Jeff's going to address the fact that there was only 4 portals in Avadon to begin with, but one would certainly think they would have at least a half dozen more to get to the other area's in Lynaeus. Complete speculation, but the bluebeard play Jeff got Avadon from had 7 portal-doors in Bluebeards castle; maybe he's planning on mirroring that.

On a slightly related note, I wonder how Jeff's going to address the fact that there was only 4 portals in Avadon to begin with, but one would certainly think they would have at least a half dozen more to get to the other area's in Lynaeus. Complete speculation, but the bluebeard play Jeff got Avadon from had 7 portal-doors in Bluebeards castle; maybe he's planning on mirroring that.

There was some mention in-game of how the portals are redirected as needed. Not to mention, given the ending of Avadon, it's likely we'll see a revised format for the Black Fortress.

Try Blades of Exile, it's open sourced, with hundreds of quests! Check it out by scrolling to the bottom of the board index!

Edited by صيلي
also, in case exile makes you think "does not run on modern machines", the windows version of CBoE works perfectly in Win7x64