Load Geneforge demo save in steam version

DanNeely

If it doesn't work, you'll need to transfer your save data over to wherever steam keeps it. the SW geneforges keep their data in your user profile Documents folder, iirc. If Steam doesn't use that, look somewhere in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata" or the equivalent for your Steam installation. If you just copy everything over you should be golden.

Edited by صيلي
assuming windows, here. Mac you probably have to pay Apple for a patch or something

If it doesn't work, you'll need to transfer your save data over to wherever steam keeps it. the SW geneforges keep their data in your user profile Documents folder, iirc. If Steam doesn't use that, look somewhere in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata" or the equivalent for your Steam installation. If you just copy everything over you should be golden.

I can't figure where in the steam folder I should drop the files. Every folder under userdata is just a number and none of the files under them have names matching those in my documents; nor do they have a timestamp that matches the test save I created in the steam copy. Are you sure that's the correct folder.

What I would recommend is starting up the Steam geneforge and starting a new game and saving it, that should create the directory structure, if it wasn't there already. then do a search for "geneforge" or something, or one of the files in the existing save, that should show you the corresponding location in the userdata directory

for reference, the structure of the userdata directory basically goes userdata/[steam id]/[game id]/remote/

game id appears to be pretty open-ended, gid 760 appears to be screenshots (with a gid subdirectory under the remote directory).

What I would recommend is starting up the Steam geneforge and starting a new game and saving it, that should create the directory structure, if it wasn't there already. then do a search for "geneforge" or something, or one of the files in the existing save, that should show you the corresponding location in the userdata directory

for reference, the structure of the userdata directory basically goes userdata/[steam id]/[game id]/remote/

game id appears to be pretty open-ended, gid 760 appears to be screenshots (with a gid subdirectory under the remote directory).

I did do that. Nothing was created with the directory structure in my documents or with the timestamps geneforge displayed for the save games.

I got out the really big hammer (Process Monitor), and after the obligatory fumbling around for 10 or 20 minutes to figure out how to filter out the 99.99% of what it collects that I don't care about, was able to locate where both copies of the game were saving to. The steam version was writing to ...\Documents\Spiderweb Software\Geneforge Saved Games\; the demo thought it was writing to \Program Files (x86)\Geneforge\Data\; but was being redirected to the virtual store instead.