Avernum 2 : The Crystal souls

Niko

The was a discussion about the complaint that Jeff had violated the licensing terms because he was no longer going to support Blades of Exile since he was now making Blades of Avernum. I don't remember where I read the topic and how far the threat of a lawsuit went.

It was originally here, but that link appears to now turn into an infinite loop, and there's no Wayback.

EDIT: found it, I think: http://thelyceum.yuku.com/topic/2548/Fun-Facts-About-the-Law#.UJWC0uNpWHs

Edited by Sylae
yay searching

Jeff! Jeff!

He's Our Man

He Does For Us

Whatever He Can

Treating Us With Nothing

But Dignity And Respect

From A Man So Great

What Would You Expect?

Bow Down

Bow Down

Bown Down and Praise

Almighty Jeff The Great

Jeff! Jeff!

Such a Great Guy!

All of His Products,

We Must Buy!

He might have been Bizarre ,but he was an artistic kind of Bizarre for sure.

you know in hindsight it's pretty clear that "i will do my best to fix any problems you have" meant "i will provide technical support and advice to help you solve problems you're having" not "i will try to fix every bug that gets reported for all time". but alcritas was always pretty good at flying off the handle in response to imagined slights

I read a little bit of that just to see who this famous Alcritas character was. He said he was a lawyer. I hope this wasn't true, for his sake.

What was more bizarre was to see TM being human for an extended period. I guess that was before he got really grumpy, maybe because then he was still optimistic about the future of Blades.

I read a little bit of that just to see who this famous Alcritas character was. He said he was a lawyer. I hope this wasn't true, for his sake.

i have no particular reason to believe that he was not a lawyer

What was more bizarre was to see TM being human for an extended period. I guess that was before he got really grumpy, maybe because then he was still optimistic about the future of Blades.

nah that's pretty much how he always was at times when he wasn't TMing

The A2 remake will be coming after Avadon 2 so it's about a year away, avernum 3 will probably come after Avadon's third part so it will probably come in anywhere from 2.5-3 years.

Are you sure about this? Seeing that he's working on both games simultaneously, maybe we won't have to wait another year. I hope.

Are you sure about this? Seeing that he's working on both games simultaneously, maybe we won't have to wait another year. I hope.

While this needs to be confirmed I think even beta testing for mac hasn't started for Avadon, that will take time plus the windows user will have to wait a few extra months ;in spite of simultaneous work i think there is little chance that both games will be released simultaneously, in fact the time will probably be more than a year for the windows version of A:CS, But you know what, let's all pray that I am wrong and that we get the games early.

BoA's total sales were about average for a SW game, it's just that it also took about twice as long to make as a regular game so anything short of a smash hit meant it'd be a failure

i assume BoE did well considering that BoA existed at all despite Jeff hating to make scenario editors

He's referring to sales, not quality, I think.

First off, look at the volume comparisons of any of the BoX boards compared to the Nethergate board. Even before the open-sourcage, blades was most likely rocking nethergate into the ground.

Plus it had to be doing pretty good for there to be hundreds of scenarios and Jeff opting to remake it, and then release it as FOSS when the original stopped working.

It's hard to judge by forum traffic. Scenario design is hard, people need to ask for advice, ask for beta testers, talk about contests. BoX also had a community that other games don't because of its more interactive nature: you don't just play it, you also make it, and play others' stuff.

Scenario counts don't mean anything. Yes, many people made scenarios, but the number is insignificant compared to required sales. And it's apples to oranges because Nethergate has no scenarios.

—Alorael, who wouldn't be surprised by BoX having a small, vibrant community that represented most of the people who paid for it, or at least many. Other games have larger silent majorities that just play the game and don't interact; the games are inherently less people- and community-oriented.

I've been playing Spiderweb Software games since 1998 when I first played Exile: Escape from the Pit and Exile 2: Crystal Souls. I've played and bought nearly every game since (except Nethergate: Resurrection and Geneforges 2-5). My favorite older game is Exile 2: Crystal Souls, and my favorite newer game is Avernum: Escape from the Pit.

As for A:EftP, I love the additions to it. It makes for a nice change and somewhat deeper storyline than one some of us have literally known for years.

Post # 687 :cool:

• 1 year later...