Avernum 2 : The Crystal souls

Niko

I was referring to the title of the post, and the subsequent realization that it wasn't an announcement of progress by Spidweb (a vain hope), but just an inquiry by another member.

I am a huge fan of A:EftP's engine. I'd love to see a remake of Geneforge 1 using it.

Mosquito---Slayer, Actaeon had a very reasonable reaction to the title of the thread. Please refrain from insulting members of this community.

Whoa, you interpreted that wrong, I was saying that I am feeling like a total Idiot for not understanding what he was referring to, I am sorry Actaeon if you felt that way.

doubt ACS comes that quickly after Avadon 2.

It should come rather quick by SW standards , the story is pretty much ready, and the official spiderweb page seems to indicate that they are in at least some way working parallely on the games.

What Are We Working On Now? -We are also still slowly gearing up to announcing Avadon 2: The Corruption and Avernum 2: Crystal Souls.

The slow down is Avadon 2 and 3 which are all new content and fixing game balance flaws in Avadon: The Black Fortress. Jeff still hasn't started beta testing.

Jeff now has 4 games scheduled to be released so you are looking at 3 to 4 years before he does anything else. He may shift to Geneforge remakes by then.

Has Jeff announced that it's a trilogy? All I remember seeing is that there will be sequels. Given his record, "trilogy" may not mean much either.

Wow... A sequel of a remake of a remake of a remake...

That's not quite right. A:EftP is a remake of a remake. A:CS will be the same. The most you can say about it is that it's a remake of a remake of a sequel.

—Alorael, who doesn't find this especially surprising. Jeff has waxed almost lyrical on remakes. He likes them. They make fans happy and his bank account happy

Has Jeff announced that it's a trilogy? All I remember seeing is that there will be sequels. Given his record, "trilogy" may not mean much either.

Probably not, but everyone is convinced that it is going to be at least a trilogy, and nobody is really sure what is coming after the remake of A3 is done, that's why i said for now, but yep that could very well change.

The closest I've seen is this quote from the first Avadon developer diary on his blog:

Avadon is our next, all-new, Indie fantasy role-playing game. And, hopefully, trilogy.

So, not exactly definitive.

The A2 remake will be coming after Avadon 2 so it's about a year away, avernum 3 will probably come after Avadon's third part so it will probably come in anywhere from 2.5-3 years.

Thanks for that, still a long way to go I see :( I was hoping they'd be released before the end of this year, so I could get them during the xmas steam sale. By the way, why is metacritic writing that the year of release for a2 is nov 3rd, 2012 ? http://www.metacritic.com/company/spiderweb-software

You know If you don't want to wait you could always try original A2 and A3 , while the engine is pretty old and you will probably not like it, you just might. The demos are in any case free and they are huge demos too, you could also get 50% off on them in the month of November.

You know what, I'll probably do that. $15 for the entire trilogy is a bargain. It's a shame some of the older games (like nethergate, exile, etc.) aren't compatible with windows 7 64bit, or i'd buy them too. And I played the demos back in the day, had a ton of fun.I imagine the dated engine won't stop me from enjoying them now.

Yippy, I made a sale, If you are reading this you should consider hiring me Jeff, I think I am getting good at this :) .

Now, to be serious..

I think the other games can be played on newer OS's too you just need to ask a technical guy how, I suppose someone here could help you,

also the engines didn't really appear dated to me too initially but it's a different thing when the newer A:eftp and Avadon have spoiled you, but yes you are right 50% off is very very good value.

Edit:-Damn, I didn't see Randomizer's post, this next page post always gets me.

. It's a shame some of the older games (like nethergate, exile, etc.) aren't compatible with windows 7 64bit, or i'd buy them too.

I found my old Nethergate CD last night and installed it on my Windows 7, 64bit machine and it worked without any interference from me! So you actually have no excuse not to buy it now. :p

Since everyone are talking about remakes of remakes, will we be seeing another Nethergate remake? Or Geneforge 1-3 ? I apologize (and of course for wrong grammar usage if any) if anyone had asked these questions before (reading post using mobile device is... problematic).

geneforge, maybe, at some point. as for nethergate, it already got one remake and both that and the original sold about as well as asbestos-flavoured chewing gum so probably not

You know If you don't want to wait you could always try original E2 and E3

FYT

I meant it to be A2 and A3, but that will do.

Well, then you meant it to be wrong, because Avernum is not the original, Exile is. Slapping a new engine doesn't change the fact that it's a remake.

Edited by Sylae
sniped by acty, the horror, the horror!