Sarcasm is being scientifically analyzed

Randomizer

The Wall Street Journal has an article, "The Strange Science of Translating Sarcasm Online," where they discuss the latest scientific attempts to do natural language processing to determine meaning. Is the writer serious or sarcastic and how to find context clues. They are starting with something easy, politics.

Much like Lilith uses only lower case to denote sarcasm, the studies look at punctuation, emoticons, and in Twitter tweets the use of hash marks. Maybe some day we can use that research here. :)

The Wall Street Journal has an article, "The Strange Science of Translating Sarcasm Online," where they discuss the latest scientific attempts to do natural language processing to determine meaning. Is the writer serious or sarcastic and how to find context clues.

well that's a tough one. since it's in the wall street journal i'd normally guess serious, but since it's such a ridiculous topic maybe it's sarcastic

Sarcasm in speech is normally supposed to be obvious, so in text we should probably just use :rolleyes: or something. But irony is normally supposed to be deadpan. The fact that you need to really understand the whole situation in order to grasp the ironic meaning is kind of the whole point of irony, because I think irony pretty much amounts to pointing out an unacknowledged conflict between the immediate topic and background knowledge. In this sense, having a font or a punctuation device to indicate irony explicitly would be, well, ironic.

well that's a tough one. since it's in the wall street journal i'd normally guess serious, but since it's such a ridiculous topic maybe it's sarcastic

Since it wasn't a page 1 below the fold article I couldn't tell. The print version had it in the 4th section, page 1 with the more serious scientific/medical related news stories.

The day's humorous story was about how popular media coverage of ghost hunters in England was ruining the scientific validity of their research, All the more likely authentic ghost sites were being over run by tourists.

Since it wasn't a page 1 below the fold article I couldn't tell. The print version had it in the 4th section, page 1 with the more serious scientific/medical related news stories.

The day's humorous story was about how popular media coverage of ghost hunters in England was ruining the scientific validity of their research, All the more likely authentic ghost sites were being over run by tourists.

i am going to print this post out and frame it and put it up on my wall

The irony mark is a great, idea, but it never caught on. Too niche. Too much ruining of humor. Isn't it ironic?

—Alorael, who is sure that during the Great Robot Uprising military orders will have to be given ironically. It's a code they'll never crack, and then the disaffected and the hipsters shall inherit the Earth.

While irony and puns and sarcasm are in some ways close kindred, they are not the same thing.

—Alorael, who imagines visual humor will be even harder for computers to crack. Maybe all the commands in the Uprising will have to be lolcats and other image macros instead.

Are you really going to make post the pun police comic in every thread?

Better idea: make a special mod position for an ACTUAL pun police. They'll have no sense of humor and will go around editing strike throughs into all bad puns. You'll still be able to read it if you're feeling resilient, but otherwise you can skim right past them.

Better idea: make a special mod position for an ACTUAL pun police. They'll have no sense of humor and will go around editing strike throughs into all bad puns. You'll still be able to read it if you're feeling resilient, but otherwise you can skim right past them.

This was my try out for sarcasm police. :p

Hey, you go ahead and leave our puns alone, guy.