Moments that made you laugh.

Mirodian

Humor in the Geneforge series is admittedly few and far between, but I've found that it's really good, so why don't we share some funny moments?

Just now I was storming Benerii-Uss as a loyalist guardian (G2) and when I entered the shaping area, a gamma greeter charged me, it was hostile, but the white text "uh... I greet you" came up over it. Imagining a presumably 10 foot tall wall of glowing muscle, blood thirst in its eyes, charging at me yelling 'welcome' made me fall over laughing.

I also got some good laughs at all the white text comments while passing by the tanks filled with various body parts in that same area.

On an unrelated note, killing everyone and everything as a level 45 guardian is very fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this topic is a little dead, but wow did I ever see a funny (definitely underappreciated) bit of writing today. I finally took screenshots of the loading screens that are set up as data files about creations. An offhand remark on the Battle Alpha page helpfully suggests that "loincloth not strictly necessary but recommended to not upset delicate outsiders".

I laughed out loud when I landed on the Monastery of Tears for the first time and the PC showed his exasperation at the people who built the thing and their attempts to achieve "pure moral purity".

There's also one moment in the loyalist ending in G3 where

the Shaper Council finds that they can't reassign Diwaniya for his incompetence because there is no post more miserable than Harmony Isle.

A Sholai mage in G1: "I shoot *garbled* from my *garbled* and cover my enemies with *garbled*!"

The loyalist ending in G1, when the fate of the Taker leader is described. Does that make me a terrible person?

Thahd dialogue tends to be good for a chuckle. For example, in G4, there's a guard thahd can be persuaded to think that you might be an expected visitor, after which it is too filled with "self-doubt" to respond if you try to speak with it again. You can also simply beg for mercy:

"Please don't hurt me. I beg you!"

"Beg? What beg? Don't understand beg." You spend a minute trying to explain the concept of begging for mercy to the creature. Eventually, with care and patience, you get the concept across. The thahd isn't buying it.

"No. Nothing in orders about beg. Kill. That what I do. Kill."

Astoria's taunt in G5:

"Ghaldring. I am Astoria of the Shaper Council. I declare you to be a rogue creation, of a variety declared Barred by Shaper law. You are forbidden. You will now be absorbed."

• 5 weeks later...

I like the part in G1 in Central Labs where you talk to Vershinin. He tells you they are exploring the 'Gene', and Shaper Secrets, and how he'll rewrite the scrolls in Life. And then you ask, "What will you write on the scrolls". And he frowns, becomes bored, and says, "What will we write? Whatever we want fool!"

That was funny. When I beat the game, i ended up using the Geneforge becoming Ultra Shaper Lord. He was somewhere on my hit list. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Well, so far I've only played Geneforge 1 (not even finished, yet, but I think I'm pretty close to the ending).

It's true that humour is scarce, but there are some funny parts. I smiled with the servile merchant desperately trying to mate batons. You can see pens with batons lying around :D Also, if you ask him about his success in such harsh task, he just says a laconic "I think I'm having some success awakening the natural desires of thorn batons".

Ah! And I laughed with the wild-rogue ornks that even had that altar with the divine gloves, transforming in the ornk boss :D :D :D

It's true that humour is scarce, but there are some funny parts. I smiled with the servile merchant desperately trying to mate batons. You can see pens with batons lying around :D Also, if you ask him about his success in such harsh task, he just says a laconic "I think I'm having some success awakening the natural desires of thorn batons".

Buron's humour goes even further:

"- have you seen a boat?

-No."

[...]

"-There are traps, but a skilled being can pass them. As far as I know, these tunnels are the only way east in this area."

"You could also disarm the traps by walking on them." He laughs briefly. You suspect that that was his idea of a joke."

:)