Running into a real live Spiderwebber!

A less presumptuous name.

So here I am, in my fourth week of college, when a friend tells me that she was "stalking" my profile pictures. "You like Spiderweb software, don't you?" It turns out that she had an account way back in '04. Does anyone remember Shards of Fire?

We talked about forum lore, and I felt like such a noob! She had left before I got here, so she was familiar with TM, where I only know him from his ET and Sleeping Dragon accounts.

It was all together a strage experience. For these past 5 years, I was convinced that I would never meet someone else who knew Jeff Vogel by beard, let alone someone from this community.

my first serious girlfriend happened by complete coincidence to be a huge spiderweb fan. her favourite game was exile 2, so she had good taste too (although that was already proven by the fact that she went out with me)

that relationship turned out to be a disaster but oh well!

We know this because the two were active at the same time. When ET wasn't leading the charge against the mods, he wasn't nearly as abrasive as TM could be even in his modly capacity. Oddly enough, neither of them ever really got to me. It was Alec that undermined my self esteem.

... Which just caused me to remember a dream last night where I got banned by Scorpius because I used Alec's name on the board and Bain Ihrno didn't like it. I... don't even know what my brain is doing sometimes.

I remember Shards of Fire, too.

Unlike our more recent villains, TM was not just a jerk (for want of an autocensor-resistant alternative). He made a lot of Blades scenarios, which many people hated for their pretentious dialog but which apparently pushed the technical envelope in clever ways. Posting here, he was intelligent and articulate, and I suspect he wasn't even really obnoxious. He just wasn't interested in reining himself in, so when the family-friendly policy really tightened up, rather than sticking around and keeping a lid on the trolling, he got banned and stayed away. A shame, up to a point, but it was his choice, and we're not so short of intelligent and articulate people here that we have to pine for the one that left.

TL,DR version: ET/SD is remembered for being a jerk, but TM is remembered for being TM.

So here I am, in my fourth week of college, when a friend tells me that she was "stalking" my profile pictures. "You like Spiderweb software, don't you?" It turns out that she had an account way back in '04. Does anyone remember Shards of Fire?

Shards of Fire! I remember her being one of the good ones, but I don't remember much else.

It would have been much cooler if ET and TM had been the same person. I would've been impressed at the range that that would've required.

TM's main fault was that he enjoyed intensely, aggressively laying into anyone he disagreed with and didn't respect. And he was very opinionated, which made the odds of disagreeing with him relatively high. And sometimes what he disagreed with were the rules of Spiderweb.

He could be likable, and interesting, and entertaining, but he wasn't really nice.

—Alorael, who isn't sure what ET was. Charismatically arrogant? He would have gotten away with less if he weren't good at stringing words together; he would have gotten away with more if he could rein in his more spectacular violations of common sense when dealing with mods and admins.

I swore I'd never come back. CURSES.

And note that "presumptuous" and I are starting college right now. Starting. That means I did this when I was TEN YEARS OLD. Explains a lot, really. For the record, I remember RWG, people remi-Misc-ing (but not misc), Nathan Ashby, TGM, Commander Edward (and TM), and Marlenny. What is my life.

Haha. Welcome back! Considering you were ten you were a lot better than most mid-teens people (myself included)! None of those people are around anymore, alas (at least not on SW. I see TGM and Marlenny on AIM a lot), but if we managed to drag you back, it's only a matter of time for them too.

And note that "presumptuous" and I are starting college right now. Starting. That means I did this when I was TEN YEARS OLD. Explains a lot, really. For the record, I remember RWG, people remi-Misc-ing (but not misc), Nathan Ashby, TGM, Commander Edward (and TM), and Marlenny. What is my life.

This post is full of so much nostalgia for me. Most of these things happened not long after I joined. I also remember your gender revelation. It's good to see you again, SoF! :)

nathan ashby and marlenny got married (to each other), i forget if you were still around when that happened

nathan ashby and marlenny got married (to each other), i forget if you were still around when that happened

ERMAHGERD. Nobody ever tells me anything.

You mean in real life? Sorry, I forgot that the lines blur around here. So, to make myself clearer - they picked up their sanity and left out the door?

my first serious girlfriend happened by complete coincidence to be a huge spiderweb fan. her favourite game was exile 2, so she had good taste too (although that was already proven by the fact that she went out with me)

that relationship turned out to be a disaster but oh well!

Thats so cool even if it didn't work. The problem though is its so rare to find. Whatever the case, I got to find me one of those.

ERMAHGERD. Nobody ever tells me anything.

You mean in real life? Sorry, I forgot that the lines blur around here. So, to make myself clearer - they picked up their sanity and left out the door?

yes. they got married in real-life. i was at the wedding. they have a real-life baby. i have seen pictures.

Wow, where was the wedding then? College friend says you were Thuryl, and I remember you were in Australia.

yeah the wedding was in mt gambier near the south australian border where they live now, so about 6 hours' drive from melbourne

unfortunately we're not really on speaking terms any more for reasons so i don't know what they've been up to since the baby thing. last i heard they were both working at a funeral home

yeah the wedding was in mt gambier near the south australian border where they live now, so about 6 hours' drive from Melbourne

unfortunately we're not really on speaking terms any more for reasons so i don't know what they've been up to since the baby thing. last i heard they were both working at a funeral home

This is all incredibly odd to hear.

Not that I personally agreed with this policy, but anyone who didn't capitalize sentences back in the day got eaten alive. Glad to see y'all mellowing out.

Yeah, I remember her. Hope she's doing well.

TM versus ET. TM certainly could be quite abrasive and a bit of trouble, but overall he did really care about the community and gave a lot. Also, as others have said, he really could be a likable guy. I really do miss him. My last interaction was perhaps four years ago now, and it seems he had really matured a bit. Kind of disappeared soon after, which is too bad.

ET on the other hand was not only rude and arrogant at times, but also quite manipulative and egocentric willing to skirt the boundaries of the rules and then blame the moderators for finally dropping the hammer. He also lacked all the good things that TM did for this community.

Edit: I did have the title "The Establishment" for quite a long time until I switched to the Avernum-themed one.

TM versus ET. TM certainly could be quite abrasive and a bit of trouble, but overall he did really care about the community and gave a lot. Also, as others have said, he really could be a likable guy. I really do miss him. My last interaction was perhaps four years ago now, and it seems he had really matured a bit. Kind of disappeared soon after, which is too bad.

there were some rumours a while ago that he'd died but fortunately no, he just decided to spend a lot less time on the internet. probably for the best

So damn lucky!!! What a lucky coincidence! Congratulations! I wish I would find that kind of friend too. Except my brother... Of course, there's only 0.1% chance I'll meet someone like that. There are reasons decreasing the percentage of finding.

a.) My classmates were born at 1997-1999

b.) They play mostly the mainstream FPS and RPGs

c.) They have phobia on bad graphics

d.) I'm unlucky

------------------

-A

To clarify, we're still fairly intolerant of poor orthography. Lilith gets a pass because she clearly knows hows to write and in fact only discards capitalization when being especially snarky. It's a signal.

—Alorael, who was here when you were but regretfully doesn't remember you. He'll just throw in his two cents that finding a girlfriend who likes Spiderweb is probably not an especially high priority or even useful criterion. Sharing a love of videogames more broadly might be helpful, though; shared hobbies often are. But shared interest in something you can't actually play together isn't all that useful; you can just as much enjoy playing different games.