• Guinea pig or other rodents
    • Kangaroo or wallaby
    • Bear
    • Elephant
    • Monkey, ape or other primates
    • Other land mammals
    • None of the above
  2. 2. What birds have you eaten?

3. 3. What other land animals have you eaten?

• Ants
    • Grasshoppers or locusts
    • Caterpillars or other insect larvae
    • Spiders or scorpions
    • Other insects or terrestrial arthropods
    • Land snails
    • Frogs or other amphibians
    • Alligator or crocodile
    • Other reptiles
    • None of the above
  4. 4. What sea animals have you eaten?

• Turtle
    • Seal, sea lion or walrus
    • Whale or dolphin
    • White fish (cod, snapper, catfish, etc.)
    • Oily fish (salmon, mackerel, herring, etc.)
    • Abalone, periwinkles or sea snails
    • Scallops
    • Oysters
    • Clams or mussels
    • Octopus
    • Squid
    • Crab
    • Lobster or crayfish
    • Prawns or shrimp
    • Jellyfish
    • Sea cucumber
    • Other seafood
    • None of the above
  5. 5. Are there meats you haven't tried, but would like to?

• Yes, and this poll inspired me to consider some new ones
    • Yes, there's at least one meat I've been wanting to try for a while
    • No, I'm content with familiar meats
    • No, I don't eat meat

welcome to the meat thread in which we talk about meats

meats i have eaten: beef, pork, lamb, goat, kangaroo, venison, rabbit, chicken, duck, turkey, quail, emu, pheasant, white fish, oily fish, clams, prawns, crabs, crayfish, octopus, squid

meats i have not eaten but would be interested to try (disregarding legality and price): buffalo, horse, camel, antelope, pigeon, goose, ostrich, alligator, guinea pig, whale

meats i have not eaten and would not particularly like to at this time: just about everything else on the list

if you have any interesting meat experiences to share this is the thread in which to post about them. for example probably i am not doing justice to the diverse range of seafoods available because i am not the world's biggest seafood fan. so if you want to post about what an injustice it is that i shoved most bivalve molluscs together under the label of "clams" but included a different entry for every domesticated bird under the sun you can go ahead and do that

i wanted to include more detailed questions about what meats you hadn't eaten and would like to, but the poll system only allows 5 questions per poll and 20 options per question so you can post about your meat ambitions in the thread instead

btw all the items on this list are things that are culturally accepted as food in some places on Earth. part of the reason i made this thread was to expose people to things they might not have considered as food. new ideas can be good!

(the other reason i made this thread was to stress-test the new poll system)

I've eaten: Beef, pork, lamb, horse (accidentally), rabbit. chicken, duck, turkey, pheasant, white fish, oily fish, mussels, squid (and prawns but I forgot to check that).

I'd like to try crab and venison, but I have no real desire to eat anything else.

The only interesting-ish meat-related story I have is concerning pheasant. Pheasant is lovely, but I'm afraid I'm probably allergic to it. I've tried it twice now - once in a wild game casserole, and once on it's own, and had an allergic reaction both times. To be fair I should've stopped after one trip to accident and emergency, but the casserole also contained wild boar and hare, and I wanted to narrow it down. I took plenty of anti-histamines with me, so a trip to the hospital wasn't necessary (and arguably wasn't the first time, since all I got was two tablets of piriton(?)). Apparently, it's a fairly common allergy though, if my doctor is to be believed - it's just not a common meat so many people never find out if they're allergic or not.

oh man i'm dumb, i can't believe i forgot dog and cat. well if you ate one of those and you're willing to admit to it you can post in the thread i guess

I've eaten: Beef, pork, lamb, horse (accidentally), rabbit. chicken, duck, turkey, pheasant, white fish, oily fish, mussels, squid (and prawns but I forgot to check that).

I'd like to try crab and venison, but I have no real desire to eat anything else.

The only interesting-ish meat-related story I have is concerning pheasant. Pheasant is lovely, but I'm afraid I'm probably allergic to it. I've tried it twice now - once in a wild game casserole, and once on it's own, and had an allergic reaction both times. To be fair I should've stopped after one trip to accident and emergency, but the casserole also contained wild boar and hare, and I wanted to narrow it down. I took plenty of anti-histamines with me, so a trip to the hospital wasn't necessary (and arguably wasn't the first time, since all I got was two tablets of piriton(?)). Apparently, it's a fairly common allergy though, if my doctor is to be believed - it's just not a common meat so many people never find out if they're allergic or not.

i feel bad for you, pheasant is an excellent meat

venison is good too, it's like lean beef but better

also how do you accidentally eat a horse

What. I can't even vote! :( I'm not familiar with these boards yet. I'll try it on later. Add human meat in there.

Mine is almost the same as Nikki's, except I eat crabs. I don't recommend crabs though. Each crab will get you a spoonful of meat. It's either that or I suck at taking out the meat...

--------------

EDIT: You accidentally eat a horse when it is served to you as a delicious dish. Then, they reveal it at the end of your dining. Then, when you hear that, it is either you feel good, or you barf at the comfort room.

---------------

-A

Did you feel good or barfed?

-----------

Ok. I've voted at the poll. I have to tell anyone who reads this. Donkey meat doesn't sound too good. They all actually have tender meat. Not stringy or tough. I also accidentally ate ants, because people from the province said that ants make your voice good. But it doesn't taste good either.

-----------

-A

in australia we have these ants called honeypot ants, they store sugary water in their abdomens until they swell up like little balloons. they were traditionally gathered by indigenous australians and eaten as a kind of sweet snack. i've never eaten one but they're pretty cool animals, i'd probably try one if offered

I recently read a book in which the pièce de résistance at a festive meal was barbecued elephant trunk. That seemed cool, but I'm impressed with elephants as intelligent creatures and do not feel comfortable with eating them.

Otherwise I've eaten a lot of things, though not everything on the list, but my enthusiasm for eating new creatures seems to have waned. I would not go far out of my way to try anything new.

Maybe in seafood, though, actually.

What about eel? Eel is good.

So how is the poll system? We can change the number of questions and options allowed (among other options), so it's fairly customizable.

Dikiyoba has eaten beef, bison, pork, lamb, venison, moose, chicken, duck, turkey, ants, white fish, oily fish, scallops, oysters, clams, mussels, octopus, possibly squid, crab, crayfish (which are freshwater), shrimp and prawns (which are really the same thing), and freshwater fish.

I recently read a book in which the pièce de résistance at a festive meal was barbecued elephant trunk. That seemed cool, but I'm impressed with elephants as intelligent creatures and do not feel comfortable with eating them.

Otherwise I've eaten a lot of things, though not everything on the list, but my enthusiasm for eating new creatures seems to have waned. I would not go far out of my way to try anything new.

Maybe in seafood, though, actually.

What about eel? Eel is good.

eels probably count as oily fish but yeah i should have given them their own option. was that what the "other seafood" was? i figured maybe it was cuttlefish or something

So how is the poll system? We can change the number of questions and options allowed (among other options), so it's fairly customizable.

it's not bad. it would be good to have more questions per poll, five isn't very many. 20 options is probably enough, if you need more than that you can split it up into multiple questions. i do wish there were a way to reorder poll options without just deleting a whole bunch of them but oh well

It was cuttlefish, but now that I think about it I don't think I've ever actually had it. See my signature. :p

I must have gotten confused. I thought cuttlefish were tasty, but now I remember they're not tasty, they're adorable. Ashley crocheted me a cuddly plush one. His name is Captain Calder Kraken, the Cuddly Cuttlefish.

Beef, buffalo, pork, lamb, venison (deer, elk), hare, quail, duck, chicken, goose, turkey, pheasant. Also beaver (would not recommend).

@lilith: want to do a meat meet? You bring the kangaroo, I'll bring the buffalo? :p

and if we cook them in traditional ethiopian spices it'll be a mitmit meat meet

what's goose like? i've heard it's like duck but with less fat in the skin

I had pigeon, or at least that was what I was told by the guy who served it. Mostly I was concerned about getting the lead shot out of it before I ate it. It wasn't worth the experience with little meat to effort to remove inedible parts.

I've had Pigeon in Morocco and France on multiple occasions. Prepared well it is quite tasty - I particularly remember a nice pigeon tagine I had as part of a ridiculously overindulgent feast at a restaurant in (I think) Fez, Morocco.

Also, I had a "reindeer paella" once in Helsinki. My then-girlfriend/now-wife accused me of eating poor Rudolph, but I told her I didn't see any glowing noses in the Paella pan - the only thing glowing was the charcoal it was being cooked over. :)

...I find that bizarre fruits provide a much more enticing array of flavors and textures than meat.

I concur, though the trick with varying the flavor and texture in meat is as much in the preparation as it is in the cut itself.

Better yet, combine the two: I have yet to find a meat that hasn't been enhanced when cooked alongside fruit.

The missus and I stick to mostly beef and chicken for budgetary, and in my case, allergy, reasons.

Beef, Pork (though not so much of late... I had a bad experience with a freezer full of rotting cuts), lamb (every Easter we can actually get our hands on it. With such a large Jewish population around here, you'd think stores would carry it in excess around Passover, right? still can't find an acceptable mint jelly.), horse, venison, rabbit (the latter two we occasionally get from a friend who hunts), quail, chicken, duck, goose, turkey, ants, alligator, white and oily fish (hate the oily stuff), scallops, oysters, clams, octopus, squid (I love calamari), crab, lobster, and shrimp (alas, Anaphylactic shock is not fun. especially when caused by one of your favorite foods.).

There are two items on the list that I have been trying to find an excuse to try: bison and pheasant. While I do occasionally see the former at the local wholesale warehouse, it's still just a hair too expensive.

Add human meat in there.

The Silent Assassin has it on good authority that it tastes delicious when lightly seasoned with nutmeg.

Hmm, a few things that I have eaten that are interesting.

Beef: Rocky Mountain Oysters, breaded and fried up don't taste to bad. I paid $5 U.S. dollars to a guy to eat one raw once too. He lived.

Antallope: They are common around where I live and so is hunting them. I find that they have a little richer taste then venison, but always thought of them as being in the same group as venison.

Guinea pig or other rodents: Squirrel, cause if you shoot it, you eat it. Its really bony and has very little meat on it, but with teriyaki sauce you can pretend its chicken on a stick.

Grasshoppers or locusts - Other insects or terrestrial arthropods: I'm surprised I'm the only on that marked these. Ate all of them as a kid being dares and in boy scouts survival.

Edit: Also why no dog or cat on the list? I know that I've eaten dog before. I don't think I've eaten cat.

it's not bad. it would be good to have more questions per poll, five isn't very many. 20 options is probably enough, if you need more than that you can split it up into multiple questions. i do wish there were a way to reorder poll options without just deleting a whole bunch of them but oh well

Okay, bumped the questions up to ten.

Dikiyoba would like to try rabbit, kangaroo, pigeon, honeypot ants (seriously, those sound delicious), frog, alligator, abalone, and lobster. Oh, and freshwater mussels and clams. Possibly rattlesnake, goose, and guinea pig, but Dikiyoba is rather attached to them as living (if sometimes obnoxious) animals, not food.

If I avoided eating every creature I thought was adorable, I'd be a vegetarian. As it stands I don't eat anything that's endangered, and I don't eat anything that either has complex language skills or seems likely to have complex language skills that we just haven't been able to decode (elephants and cetaceans).

Beef, buffalo, pork, lamb, venison, chicken, duck, turkey, ostriches. I've had a lot of different seafoods but didn't always remember to ask what it was. I'm a big fan of sushi and raw eel in particular. Salmon is a favorite as far as cooked meat is concerned.

I've had ostrich and buffalo burgers before. They're quite good (buffalo is way better than beef), and the eating establishment had a funny name: Fuddruckers.

I'd like to try kangaroo and pretty much any non-poisonous seafood.

...my mom and grandpa went to Iceland and tried whale there a year ago. She bit into a bunch of blubber and spit it out, but Grandpa apparently liked it. I was in disbelief when they told me this whale story, then I remembered that Iceland still allows whaling. I definitely would not try whale though.

Edit: It's pretty cool that you can see you voted for each option. Just as long as there's an option for anonymity too.

...my mom and grandpa went to Iceland and tried whale there a year ago. She bit into a bunch of blubber and spit it out, but Grandpa apparently liked it. I was in disbelief when they told me this whale story, then I remembered that Iceland still allows whaling. I definitely would not try whale though.

We went to Iceland a couple years - I didn't even consider trying any whale, but it was very common to see signs outside restaurants advertising it. And puffins too (the bird, NOT the cereal), which just seem way too cute to even consider eating ....

I suppose the only meat I've eaten that I'd consider unusual is alligator. Triumph was right; it does taste like chicken, though particularly tough chicken. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat it again, though I certainly wouldn't refuse it either.

One note on the poll system, though. In this case, with this topic, it clearly doesn't matter, but for more sensitive topics it could be a problem. Currently, the poll system lets me see who voted for every single option. Can we possibly disable this?

One note on the poll system, though. In this case, with this topic, it clearly doesn't matter, but for more sensitive topics it could be a problem. Currently, the poll system lets me see who voted for every single option. Can we possibly disable this?

The creator of the poll chooses whether to make the poll public (see who's voted where) or keep it private. If it is a public poll, there's a fairly obvious banner that tells you it is such before you vote. It shouldn't really be an issue.

Dikiyoba.

I was disappointed to not see shark on the list. I tried it on my last trip to Las Vegas. It has a texture very similar to pork.

shark is a totally normal food fish here in australia so it didn't even occur to me to give it its own category. i'd say it has more in common with other white fish than with pork

in fact i have a fillet of shark in my fridge right now, i should reheat and consume it

I've found shark to have a pretty distinctive taste and texture, although of course that might just be the preparations I've eaten. Tough, and surprisingly more similar to terrestrial meat than most other fish. But then I don't really like meat and I also don't really like shark; that could be the connection. On the other hand, I also don't like shellfish and I wouldn't describe crab as being very much like pork.

—Alorael, who has eaten the common assortment of meats and a few of the slightly rarer varieties. He has a good friend who holds the goal of eating every animal and who has, in fact, manage to get some pretty interesting things like lion and kangaroo (hey, outside Australia it counts!). He himself is intrigued enough to try them but as someone who doesn't like meat he hasn't been bowled over. Gamy meat isn't especially better than other meat.

—Alorael, who has eaten the common assortment of meats and a few of the slightly rarer varieties. He has a good friend who holds the goal of eating every animal and who has, in fact, manage to get some pretty interesting things like lion and kangaroo (hey, outside Australia it counts!). He himself is intrigued enough to try them but as someone who doesn't like meat he hasn't been bowled over. Gamy meat isn't especially better than other meat.

Lion? where'd you get a lion? I have heard they serve tigers in china but i have never heard of that.

I have eaten: Beef, buffalo, pork, lamb, antelope, deer, elk, chicken, duck, goose, turkey, pheasant, other birds (snipe), frog, white fish (mostly northern, bass, trout, panfish/sunfish, cod, bullheads, and catfish; probably others), oily fish (salmon), scallops, clam, lobster, octopus, squid, crab, and shrimp.

My most recent tries were squid and frog legs. Really liked the frog though picking out the veins was less than appetizing.

My favorite meat experience was when my dad went out duck hunting and came home with half a dozen snipe instead. They're tiny but luckily I was the only one who wanted to try them other than my dad, so I ate four of them. It was the most delicious thing I've ever had. I was twelve and have been asking him to get more snipe ever since... he never has. Just hasn't had the opportunity.

I'm willing to try any food at least once but I really cringe at the thought of eating horse and primates because of their intelligence; cats and dogs cuz they're my friends; and insects/worms/spiders/scorpions just cuz they're creepy. I'd eat them if I had to but... I'd rather not. Anything else I'm up for.