• Guinea pig or other rodents
    • Kangaroo or wallaby
    • Bear
    • Elephant
    • Monkey, ape or other primates
    • Other land mammals
    • None of the above
  2. 2. What birds have you eaten?

3. 3. What other land animals have you eaten?

• Ants
    • Grasshoppers or locusts
    • Caterpillars or other insect larvae
    • Spiders or scorpions
    • Other insects or terrestrial arthropods
    • Land snails
    • Frogs or other amphibians
    • Alligator or crocodile
    • Other reptiles
    • None of the above
  4. 4. What sea animals have you eaten?

• Turtle
    • Seal, sea lion or walrus
    • Whale or dolphin
    • White fish (cod, snapper, catfish, etc.)
    • Oily fish (salmon, mackerel, herring, etc.)
    • Abalone, periwinkles or sea snails
    • Scallops
    • Oysters
    • Clams or mussels
    • Octopus
    • Squid
    • Crab
    • Lobster or crayfish
    • Prawns or shrimp
    • Jellyfish
    • Sea cucumber
    • Other seafood
    • None of the above
  5. 5. Are there meats you haven't tried, but would like to?

• Yes, and this poll inspired me to consider some new ones
    • Yes, there's at least one meat I've been wanting to try for a while
    • No, I'm content with familiar meats
    • No, I don't eat meat

I saw a news program once about an unusual restaurant in New York City that sells lollipops with various insects in them. They also sell lollipops with arachnids such as scorpions in them.

My dad has a manic-depressive cousin who usually doesn't take his meds. He rolls his own cigarettes and sometimes puts ants in them. He claims that it clears his lungs, but that he wants to die from emphysema.

I saw a news program once about an unusual restaurant in New York City that sells lollipops with various insects in them. They also sell lollipops with arachnids such as scorpions in them.

I'd completely forgotten, but I ate a cricket pop. The cricket was slightly crunchy but didn't have much flavor besides lollipop.

—Alorael, who didn't find the texture unpleasant. He thought the legs might be bad, but they weren't especially noticeable.

I just remember that I've eaten skate, which is some sort of ray-like fish. It had funny flat bones. It was good, though with the kind of goodness, not uncommon in exotic seafood, in which lemon and capers play a prominent part. A goodness more socially constructed than inherent, in other words.

I just remember that I've eaten skate, which is some sort of ray-like fish. It had funny flat bones. It was good, though with the kind of goodness, not uncommon in exotic seafood, in which lemon and capers play a prominent part. A goodness more socially constructed than inherent, in other words.

yeah skate is the meat of rays, and is somewhat similar to flake but generally considered inferior. sometimes it's passed off as flake here

I also once had a squid steak, which must have been a section of the usual squid body tube, cut off and laid flat. It was fairly large and nearly a quarter-inch thick, so the original squid must have been nearly a foot long, I'd estimate, to leave no visible curvature in the steak. It was bland but not rubbery, and good with lemon and capers.

I can recommend against giant clam sushi. Expensive and rubbery.

All this seafood talk reminds me of all the cooking in the game Aquaria. Apart from the absurdity of supposedly cooking underwater, that feature seemed to fit the game very well. You really felt like this expert underwater forager, seeking out all the exotic delicacies of the sea.

[accent=British]Not another sea loaf![/accent]

Hmm. I wonder if there are any edible insects on the American market... Like, at all

Not sure how many of these are on the 'American market' but the international 'Internet market' has a healthy stock of places to order from to have bugs and worms shipped right to your door.

Edit: bah... new format for links...

I've eaten most of the standard meats, including buffalo, but except for elk. I'd like to try elk, though. I hear it's pretty good when made into jerky.

I've had the standard assortment of fish--some whitefish, oily fish, and also a bit of crab. I don't care much at all for seafood, though.

I generally prefer beef (as long as it isn't too tough) or chiken. Overall, I haven't really had any exotic meat.

have tried:

beef, buffalo, pork, lamb, venison, rabbit, chicken, duck, turkey, frogs, several kinds of fish (both white and oily), scallops, clams, mussels, and shrimp.

would like to try:

goat, quail. goose, pheasant, oyster, crab, and lobster. Also, more out of curiosity than anything else, rattlesnake.