Forum Stats Graph!

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic
Actaeon Actaeon

Easy Street

• Member ID: 3,558
  • 2,011 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:24 AM #36 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View PostAʀᴀɴ, on 28 October 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

Ever since SV stagnated and it was CalRef's turn to become the foremost (and now only) satellite, I've felt a little twinge that I didn't get in on it earlier. Now there's all this history and I'd feel like an outsider. :p

It looks to me like you registered an account way back in 2009, though not a terrifically active one. In any case, at least three prominent Spiderwebbers have appeared in CalRef chat in the last twenty four hours. The place is run by a mod. The days of being exclusive or counterculture are, at least for Ligrev's Lounge, fading away. You should stop by. Just don't expect family friendly.

View PostLenar Labs, on 28 October 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

I have no idea how I missed that. Shame on me. :(  

Oh, come on, you're giving Tyran credit for pointing out the obvious? I demand my sniping kudos!
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.

Callie Callie

SuperCalliefragilisticexpialidocious

• Member ID: 4,904
  • 4,168 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:44 AM #37 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View PostActaeon, on 28 October 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

Oh, come on, you're giving Tyran credit for pointing out the obvious? I demand my sniping kudos!
Sniping kudos have considerably depreciated in value and have been supplanted by the now superior moderator kudos.
"I'm so glad you mentioned [goat heads] were weeds. I had never heard of them before, and thought maybe Excalibur lived in an area strewn with the heads of slaughtered goats. : p " - Tyranicus
Restless Souls - My first BoA scenario

Dikiyoba Dikiyoba

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,222
  • 9,001 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:53 AM #38 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

Actaeon said:

I demand my sniping kudos!
Dikiyoba couldn't find any sniping Kudos. Will a variety pack do?

Arancaytar Arancaytar

Archivist

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,001
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationThe Empire of Ermarian

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:21 PM #39 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

I know I made an account, and I probably posted once or twice. Never really stuck around, though.

And now that I tried to go there, it seems the forum doesn't load. It's still http://calref.net/ , right? Odd...

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,537 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:25 PM #40 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View PostAran, on 28 October 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

I know I made an account, and I probably posted once or twice. Never really stuck around, though.

And now that I tried to go there, it seems the forum doesn't load. It's still http://calref.net/ , right? Odd...
It is. The site just went down a little bit ago. Sylae is working on it.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Actaeon Actaeon

Easy Street

• 2,011 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:26 PM #41 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

I think it's down at the moment. At least, I timed out of chat a moment ago and haven't been able to get back on. Your approach must have triggered the built in defenses. (Incidentally, for those disinclined to make an account, you can go directly to calref.net/chat and just put in a username, no password, to log in as a guest.)

Edit: Sniped. Tyran always gets the better of me in the end.

Student of Trinity Student of Trinity

Interloper

• Member ID: 2,306
  • 6,622 posts
  • Locationthe big Hilbert space

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:28 PM #42 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

Some days around here it's hard to get even a single lousy kudo.
As long as entropy is doing what we want, we take it for granted, but as soon as it starts killing us, we go all whiny.

saunders saunders

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 3,570
  • 465 posts
  • LocationPruned

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:31 PM #43 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

There are few to give away in another topic...
Damn, I posted again.
Move along, there is nothing here to see.
Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,482
  • 3,336 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, United States

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:32 PM #44 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View PostTyranicus, on 28 October 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

It is. The site just went down a little bit ago. Sylae is working on it.
back up. I love it when that happens. it's so much fun

Balladeer Balladeer

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,131
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationBeyond Belief

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:44 PM #45 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

Anything to do with this?

View PostSylae, on 28 October 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

if it makes your inner nerd feel better, i've been working on a XMPP <--> CalRef chat bridge. sockets are fun!

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:47 PM #46 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

Actually that's to fix the issue. The server randomly crashes because there's something in the AJAX chat client that causes it to suicide-DoS the server randomly. It's kind of annoying.

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:25 PM #47 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

relationship of postcount to likes. Only includes members with over ten posts since the switch.

raw data:
Spoiler

Edited by صيلي, 12 December 2012 - 01:26 PM.
also, only uses forum likes. likes from blogs are ignored as this would make the SQL query even longer and more horrid

Actaeon Actaeon

Easy Street

• 2,011 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:36 PM #48 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

Now THAT's a statistic worth looking at. And not just because I ranked decently.

Callie Callie

• 4,168 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:55 PM #49 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

That's a pretty high R^2 value!
"I'm so glad you mentioned [goat heads] were weeds. I had never heard of them before, and thought maybe Excalibur lived in an area strewn with the heads of slaughtered goats. : p " - Tyranicus

A less presumptuous name. A less presumptuous name.

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 5,324
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:43 PM #50 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

Clearly posting more will cause more likes. Time to spam!

Callie Callie

• 4,168 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:45 PM #51 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

Correlation does not equal causation!

Rowen Rowen

Pikablue

• Member ID: 1,460
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:04 PM #52 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

If the option to "dislike" was added I wonder how it would effect the ranking?  With out the "dislike" every thing is skewed in favor of the "like" as choosing not to like is not the same as the "dislike" option.
"I... I've never told anyone, but... I've always thought they were lighthouses.  Billions of lighthouses... ...stuck at the far end of the sky.  Because one day... ... I'm going to befriend one of them." River - To The Moon

Dikiyoba Dikiyoba

Heart of Avadon

• 9,001 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:22 PM #53 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View PostRowen, on 12 December 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

If the option to "dislike" was added I wonder how it would effect the ranking?
Sylae would be the only one with a positive reputation, and everyone else would be between 0 and -589. Also, the only option for adding a dislike feature makes likes and dislikes anonymous, so we wouldn't be able to have statistics on it at all.

Dikiyoba has grown rather fond of the current like system. It's silly and pointless, and that's the true spirit of these boards.

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:43 PM #54 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

Besides, I often like a post, only to dislike it later, The overall "likedness" of a member doesn't decrease, but it gives me a giddy thrill the likes of which most people think is"weird".

Dikiyoba Dikiyoba

Heart of Avadon

• 9,001 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:12 PM #55 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

Niiiiiiiiii-ki.

When Dikiyoba likes and then quickly unlikes that like, the reputation reverts back to the original count. Maybe it only does that for a short time after the original like, though?

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:37 PM #56 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

Oh, no, that's what I mean. Once my like is retracted, there remains no evidence of the like except for a notification to say that I did like your post, and the realisation that I must have disliked it. Rowen clearly knows what I mean, if my 7 notifications are anything to go by.

(oh god. this could very easily be a facebook conversation. what has happened to my beautiful SW?)

Rowen Rowen

Pikablue

• Member ID: 1,460
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:46 PM #57 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View Postpanoptnikon, on 12 December 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

Rowen clearly knows what I mean, if my 7 notifications are anything to go by.

I was testing it out, repeatedly.  :D
"I... I've never told anyone, but... I've always thought they were lighthouses.  Billions of lighthouses... ...stuck at the far end of the sky.  Because one day... ... I'm going to befriend one of them." River - To The Moon

Mosquito---Slayer Mosquito---Slayer

Blademaster

• Member ID: 7,698
  • 867 posts
  • LocationWhere there are mosquitoes...

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:45 PM #58 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

Not to spoil the fun for you guys, but it is actually possible to dislike posts even now.
"You're right. Everybody knows that spiders speak Portuguese." - Jerakeen

Dikiyoba Dikiyoba

Heart of Avadon

• 9,001 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:50 PM #59 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View PostMosquito---Slayer, on 12 December 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

Not to spoil the fun for you guys, but it is actually possible to dislike posts even now.
Oh? How so?

Dikiyoba.

Blademaster

• 867 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:52 PM #60 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View PostDikiyoba, on 12 December 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

Oh? How so?
Go to your profile,click on the option for likes, become the master of the universe.

Dikiyoba Dikiyoba

Heart of Avadon

• 9,001 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:10 PM #61 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View PostMosquito---Slayer, on 12 December 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

Go to your profile,click on the option for likes, become the master of the universe.
That allows you to unlike the posts you have already liked (which results in no change to a reputation score, since it simply removes the positive reputation point you gave previously). That's different from having the ability to dislike a post (which would give a negative reputation point).

Dikiyoba.

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 6,248
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:13 PM #62 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

I love how the internet has made "like," "dislike," and "unlike" into technical terms.

"Dikiyoba didn't know what to say for your negatives, Triumph. Dikiyoba supposes you must just be that awesome." - Dikiyoba
"Triumph == Santa Claus? This explains... nothing." - Dintiradan
"Per usual, Triumph said it better." - Slarty

Blademaster

• 867 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:14 PM #63 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View PostDikiyoba, on 12 December 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

That allows you to unlike the posts you have already liked (which results in no change to a reputation score, since it simply removes the positive reputation point you gave previously). That's different from having the ability to dislike a post (which would give a negative reputation point).
OOps I guess, I should have read the posts better.
Also I saw the graph, managed to understand it, but will someone tell me what is R2?

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,845 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:16 PM #64 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View PostMosquito---Slayer, on 12 December 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

OOps I guess, I should have read the posts better.
Also I saw the graph, managed to understand it, but will someone tell me what is R2?

http://en.wikipedia....f_determination

short answer: it's a statistics thing

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:40 PM #65 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

Nobody likes me :(
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

Actaeon Actaeon

Easy Street

• 2,011 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:56 PM #66 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

I never seem to see you anymore, Kel. Or should I say, #26.

BMA BMA

Sorcerer

• Member ID: 5,939
  • 663 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:56 PM #67 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View PostDikiyoba, on 12 December 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

.....having the ability to dislike a post

You can always like a post you really hate, so that you can unlike it later. :p

Blademaster

• 867 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:28 AM #68 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View Postξ, on 12 December 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

Nobody likes me :(
That's got to be the most innovative and the most ironic way of getting a bagful of likes.
(even worse, you beat me to it. :( )

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:39 AM #69 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View PostDikiyoba, on 12 December 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

Also, the only option for adding a dislike feature makes likes and dislikes anonymous, so we wouldn't be able to have statistics on it at all.
Actually, no. It would just not display them publicly, the information has to be stored, otherwise users would be able to downvote something to oblivion relatively easily. If you look at the database, all reputation things are stored in reputation_index. You might also find core_like interesting, it's what seems to handle the display of who liked things, but doesn't do anything besides caching, as I discovered after two hours of SQLing.

For reference, here's the SQL I used for my data.
select author_name, count(id) as likes, n_posts, count(id)/n_posts as lpp from
  (select * from reputation_index left join posts on posts.pid = reputation_index.type_id where type='pid') as likes join
	(select member_id as n_uid, count(pid) as n_posts from posts join members on posts.author_id = members.member_id where post_date > 1350540000 group by author_id) as mposts
on likes.author_id = mposts.n_uid group by author_id order by count(id)/n_posts desc

Actaeon Actaeon

Easy Street

• 2,011 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:25 AM #70 In which I abuse my access to the database for the purposes of statistics

View PostMosquito---Slayer, on 13 December 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

That's got to be the most innovative and the most ironic way of getting a bagful of likes.
(even worse, you beat me to it. :( )

I'd call it underhanded and manipulative, but since I cooperated with it, I have no room to complain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users