Avernum: Escape From the Pit on a fixed-resolution netbook?

Having trouble getting Avernum to start.

I'm attempting to run the demo version on netbook: a Dell Insprion Mini 10, about two years old, 1.66GHz Intel Atom processor, 1 gig RAM, running Windows 7 Starter SP1, 32-bit version. 80-gig HD still has 35 gigs free.

I have followed troubleshooting suggestions: rebooting, closing all programs (I've even killed all nonessential processes), running the DirectX executable, windowed, full screen, various graphics options, made sure all drivers are up-to-date, etc.

Every time I start the program, it's the same: I get the "choose resolution" prompt, but after moving through it, the process simply stops.

The only indicator that I have as to the nature of the problem is that when prompted to select a resolution, there are no resolutions listed. This netbook has only two resolution settings, 1024x576 and 640x480. With older Spiderweb programs, this is not an issue: when prompted to change resolution, I am presented with a proper 3x4 interface flanked on either side by blank screen. I am hoping to attain this with the latest product... but I'll settle for windowed and running.

The Silent Assassin will settle for nothing less than total wold domination! So! Rolling three dice to attack Indonesia from East Australia! Again!

1st of all that netbook can't even run AEFTP well so you can forget playing AEFTP on that.

Other than the screen size, it meets the requirements for A:EftP. If he hooks it up to an external monitor, it should work just fine.

• PC Running Windows XP or later or Macintosh running System 10.4 or later
  • 800 MhZ processor. Minimum 1.6 GhZ processor recommended.
  • Video card or processor with OpenGL support and 32 MB video RAM (64 MB recommended).
  • 512 MB RAM, and 200 MB hard disk space.
  • 1024x600 screen resolution with 32 bit color.

@Tyran: Lugging around a monitor kinda defeats the purpose of putting it on a machine other than my desktop. Although, now I have this very funny idea to try with the TV... thanks!

@Nikki: No. I did have the same issue with Avadon, come to think of it, but the Geneforge series and both Avernum series work fine automatically..

@Earth Empires: It can run Source Engine games at their lowest settings and only stutters a bit when it hits complex lighting or physics calculations; I edit multitrack audio on it on a regular basis, and render video every now and then (does require a fair amount of patience). Only thing that I regularly ask it to do that it doesn't do well is browse the internet. :p

The Silent Assassin automatically runs down to the local pub and table dances every time he hears the song "You're the Inspiration" by Chicago.

We suspect that it may have to do with a hypnotist that he accidentally kidnapped back in the 80's, but we've never been able to find any proof.

@Nikki: No. I did have the same issue with Avadon, come to think of it, but the Geneforge series and both Avernum series work fine automatically..

I don't get it. Every Spiderweb game since Avernum 1 has required at least 600 vertical pixels. It shouldn't have been possible for you to run any of them.

On an unrelated note, it's good to see you here again, Lenar. I hope you stick around. :)

I do get a few pixels cut off on the top and bottom, but it generally isn't enough to notice.

It could be, and this is just speculation as I don't know much about it, that the resolutions that I have are result of the very restricted OS and the Dell-provided interface that I have to use to manage display settings. The older programs, to my knowledge, don't concern themselves with what resolutions the OS reports as available, so... they're not blocked by that middleman?

And, thanks. I hope I stick around, too.

Funny, how the day I go looking for help is the day the forum migration happens.

The Silent Assassin has already had one embarrassing fact about him posted in this thread, and is threatening to beat me with his pink bunny slippers if I do anything like it again. But I feel like tempting fate:

One of his favorite movies is A Walk to Remember... and he cries every time.