Avernum: EftP running slowly

Cpt. Charles

The problem is you're running a new game on an ancient, budget-price computer. That computer, according to my Duck Duck Going, has only 256MB of RAM, only upgradeable to 512MB (which is the bare minimum to run the game, according to the system requirements on Spidweb's page for the game). I'd also bet your cheap on-board graphics device doesn't have 64MB, or even the minimum of 32MB, of video RAM.

You're lucky it runs at all. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am having a similar problem with slow in my game as well. I just checked Avadon and all other games from spiderweb and they run fine. However, Avernum Escape from the Pit, is running very slow on the main screen, movement and loading the world. The weird thing is that the computer is a brand new mac only about a year old. This only started yesterday is moderately worse today. Before that, the game was just as fast as the other new games.

Edit-Specs:

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Boot ROM Version: MM51.0077.B0F

SMC Version (system): 1.76f0

Serial Number (system): C07GW1AZDJD0

Hardware UUID: 2D4F42D2-1CEE-5276-82B4-8A3636F89340

Any ideas?

If something is working fine and abruptly ceases to be working fine, it's either hardware petering out (hopefully not!) or something else is interfering. Have you recently installed anything, and have you checked the mac equivalent of top/task manager to see if something else is nomming on the resources?

@Charles : Since you're running the game on a Windows, you can hope for a speed increase by using the DirectX version (+ low specs) if you haven't already (OpenGL is comparatively sluggish) - it's what I do to get it running on my system.

Cpt. Charles post is couple months old, Death Knight didn't want to make new thread.

DX-version is available only if game is Spidweb-version, otherwise needs to contact Jeff and provide few things etc.