Collaborative Scenarios?

Cpt. Charles

I was wondering if there have been many scenarios where two or more people worked on it. A thought crossed my mind of a scenario where jobs, like plot, custom scripts, dialogue, towns, and outdoors, could be assigned to different people. That way you could find ones who did the best in each of those fields and make a bigger scenario in a shorter amount of time.

Another idea would be a scenario where you could assign a range of towns to each person for them to build.

Any thoughts on this?

Originally Posted By: Cpt. Charles
I was wondering if there have been many scenarios where two or more people worked on it. A thought crossed my mind of a scenario where jobs, like plot, custom scripts, dialogue, towns, and outdoors, could be assigned to different people. That way you could find ones who did the best in each of those fields and make a bigger scenario in a shorter amount of time.

Another idea would be a scenario where you could assign a range of towns to each person for them to build.

Any thoughts on this?
I don't think there have been any true collaborations for BoA, other than designers helping other designers with scripting, etc. There were some collaborations for BoE though. All scenarios written by The Creator were collaborative efforts between two brothers who used the same account.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
El Presidente was a joint effort, wasn't it?

Yes. I painted the town and did some coding, whilst Thralni came up with the larger share of the plot points and also chucked in some coding, if I recall.

The Readme should have clearer information on who did what though - it's been a long time, and my memory is fuzzy.

The thing about collaborative projects is that, if you want to make them any good, everyone has to be on the same page. Which, if someone giving up on it or dropping out is a possibility, means that you will most likely have to document the [censored] out of what you are trying to do. The only way to make that effort worthwhile is to make a large scenario, and we know how those work out.

Like any project, the more people you have the more logistical overhead of coordination and coming to agreement on what you're doing there is. And then there's the problem of volunteers. Does anyone really want to make towns without doing anything else? Script specials without being able to write plots?

—Alorael, who would call plot the most unnecessary job. Everyone has a dozen great plot ideas. (Even if no one else likes them, the creator likes them!) Plot is easy. The technical execution is hard. If you're not executing no one else wants to do your drudgery for you.

Originally Posted By: Set of sets of sets of sets
—Alorael, who would call plot the most unnecessary job. Everyone has a dozen great plot ideas. (Even if no one else likes them, the creator likes them!) Plot is easy. The technical execution is hard. If you're not executing no one else wants to do your drudgery for you.

Actually, plot is the hardest part for me. I can't think of a good, interesting story to save my life. I'm better at technical stuff and town design. I enjoy that so much more. I have so many unfinished scenarios that have some nice towns and a few scripting tricks, but a very uninteresting plot and no dialogue yet.

I'll bet there are some people who have unfinished scenarios in need of town design or other such things, but that have a great story and fleshed-out characters.

That's my idea, is to get people together who enjoy making certain parts of a scenario more than other bits, then equal the deficits.

However, you're right in that it would require alot of coordination. Perhaps doing the process in steps would be better, though it would take longer that way.

My favorite part is drawing the goofy splash screens I stick in my scenarios. I've got tons of these I never wound up using because I run completely on inspiration and can't force myself to write dialogue or design a town save when I'm in a rare productive spell.

In case anyone wants to take a look at a few of my favorites:

Click to reveal..

jaBc6.png

xi4Nb.png

3OBpO.png

The other issue I run into is that I'll get stuck on a section of dialogue or town design until I'm satisfied that everything is perfect and consistent with the rest of the scenario. Personally, this would make it really hard to work with someone else, even if we split the scenario into sections. I guess my point is that I don't favor any single aspect of scenario design enough to focus on it completely because I focus most of my attention on the big picture. I enjoy working on every component as long as I feel like I'm moving in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

My least favorite part is the dialog. I find it difficult to figure how a character should talk and how the conversation should flow. I'd much rather be writing plots and designing combat encounters. Those are my favorite parts.

I think I could handle a collaboration, but not while school is going on.

• 2 months later...