A lot of removed content

So I've been playing the original Avernum 1, and I'm noticing that there's a TON of removed content, stuff that was in the original game that isn't in the new one, and it's really really odd. Like, this may be the first remake I've ever played that has fewer features than the original. I love the remake, but seeing all the stuff that's been removed, I'm kinda sad to see it go.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Can you give some examples of what you mean? The game mechanics have changed, obviously, but that's been true for every remake.

Secret skills have been removed, food and light sources have been dummied out but still kept in the game, Mind crystals don't teach skills anymore, there's no day system...

Jeff tries to remove things that players complain about.

Some skills were completely removed and some of the secret skills are now available as the top tier skills, Pathfinder is obsolete since you can't walk through lava. Bartering got shifted to the negotiator trait.

No more holidays and the Ancient Crypt is open year round instead of once a month.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Whenever you're in an area that's less brightly lit than usual, like most caverns, using a light source will increase the light level and make it easier to see objects.

This may be why people sometimes complain about it being hard to see objects on the ground. If you don't realize that you can use a light, it can be difficult to see them in some places. I always have one of my characters carry a stack of candles to use in dark spots (there are hundreds of free candles scattered throughout the game).

And E3 introduced date as a timer for cities falling apart and a handful of events, but it still didn't have a calendar. The days, months, and year were introduced in A1.

—Alorael, who believes this is best displayed by the sign for Grahk's Peninsula, which was made back in Exile and gives a date long after the present day by the year given in the Avernum series.