Avernum 2: Screen Resolution issue

fstim82

I hit the "Always change screen resolution" option, but it doesn't fit right, so I need to change it. After lots of effort I can finally get TO the preferences window to make it ask again (as per the readme file), but it doesn't seem to save that preference. I can't fix the issue. It seems locked. Is there a fix for this??? I've uninstalled the game and reinstalled, yet it still seems to remember the setting.... GRRRR (Issue is on Windows 7)

BONUS question: Is there any way I can convert my save game from a mac to a windows version?

Update: Still trying to figure this out, but when running as administrator, it asks me like it should. It still doesn't ask me when running normally though. I'd like to get this fixed so that I don't have to be admin. Don't know if that helps narrow down the problem...

Update2: Probably related to previous update, but I set the game to run in compatability mode, and it works fine after the "are you sure you want to run this dialog box". Its like my normal profile and my admin profile have two different settings now. Neither allow me to CHANGE the settings once made. If anyone has any explanation or fix for this, that would be great, but this might have to be good enough...

I've added a reply to your post in the Avernum Forum, but I'll copy it here so that people searching this forum will be able to find it in future.

I'm assuming you've installed the game to Program Files? Windows 7 (and Vista) have increased security for the Program Files folder which stop unauthorised writing to files within it. I guess what's happening with you is that the game's preferences file is not being written to when you change the preferences, and so your choice isn't sticking.

In future, you might want to install your games to a different folder to get around this "security" to avoid having to run everything as an administrator - I find that c:\games works great.

Windows Vista and 7 are very paranoid as to what you can/can't do in the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders. As was pointed out, you're much better off installing games to a different location on the C:\ drive (the norm seems to be "C:\Games" or "C:\Game Files"), or on a different drive entirely.