% bonus to evade attacks? What does it do?

So I notice that some armor gives, say, a 5% bonus to evading attacks. Is that a flat number subtracted from the final calculated hit chance of your enemies, or is your evasion ability multiplied by 105%, or is the final calculated hit rate of your opponents multiplied by 95% for each such piece of armor you have on? I'm debating whether or not I should take that evasion bonus into account when deciding what armor my ninja warrior should wear, and considering his high base evade, the answer to this question will make all the difference. If it's a percentage multiplier to his base evade, it's highly useful, but if it's a flat bonus, it's not even remotely worth considering.

It's a flat subtraction from enemies' chance to hit you. Given how high enemies' base hit rates get, and how few pieces of equipment give evasion bonuses, you've correctly assessed that it's not worth it. Evasion bonuses were pretty good in Avadon, where you could actually get Dexterity up high enough to evade most attacks throughout the entire game.

Originally Posted By: Praxis
So lets say your level 1 tank faces a very high level enemy with 10% to evade gear... that means a a level 20+ demon will have only 85% hit rate vs your level 1 tank ?

No. The 95% cap is applied after all accuracy and evasion bonuses are taken into account. The demon will still have a 95% chance to hit you.

Quote:
Also, does this work vs magic ?

Yes.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Praxis
So lets say your level 1 tank faces a very high level enemy with 10% to evade gear... that means a a level 20+ demon will have only 85% hit rate vs your level 1 tank ?

No. The 95% cap is applied after all accuracy and evasion bonuses are taken into account. The demon will still have a 95% chance to hit you.

And this is exactly why evasion bonuses are most useful for high-dexterity characters (at least for physical, fire, and energy attacks, where dexterity increases evasion).

For example, if the enemy has a 150% hit chance, and you subtract the a 10% evasion bonus, it goes to 140%. However, both end up capped by the 95% limit, so it makes no difference. However, if your character had 12 more points of dexterity those would instead be 90% and 80% to-hit chances, both of which are below the cap.