Good idea!

keira

Meme inflation has hit 'meme' itself, and now any silly little image that gets reposted twice gets to count as a meme, as long as you can add your own text, preferably Chezburgerishly misspelled. If humans were intelligent enough to understand this sort of thing, we'd be too intelligent to appreciate it.

The term "meme" comes from Richard Dawkin's book, The Selfish Gene, to describe non-genetic traits and behaviors that pass through generations in a society, more or less. Since then, the term has expanded in use. I'm not sure how or when the idea of a meme as an image with text over it came to be, but that's where we're at now.

Originally Posted By: A less presumptuous name.
The term "meme" comes from Richard Dawkin's book, The Selfish Gene, to describe non-genetic traits and behaviors that pass through generations in a society, more or less. Since then, the term has expanded in use. I'm not sure how or when the idea of a meme as an image with text over it came to be, but that's where we're at now.

technically an image with text over it is an image macro, which is a subclass of internet meme. they're called internet memes because they're pieces of information that people spread around on the internet

• 3 months later...

> adaptive searching

Oh, that really does exist then ? I'd read somewhere that if you are an architect, a search for "Windows" would give you results related to buildings and construction. But if you are Bill Gates, the search query would yield results about the operating system.

I'd only thought of it as just a load of fantastic nonsense at the time.

Octy's nice, but a Scratchy or a Dashie would be much awesomer :D

EDIT: Yes, google implimented it recently. They've been doing location-based searches for awhile (eg., if I search for "pizza" it'll give me the local pizza place, if I search "bobcat" it'll give me the MSU sport teams), and they were prolly doing non-adaptive searches before then, and just weren't telling us. Ever wonder how all those google ads seemed really damn relevant to your life?

Edited by صيلي
Cheeselegs would be a good plushie tooo

I tend to just use the word "dolls" rather than "plushies" because some of mine are made of plastic, squeezy stress foam, rubber, non-fuzzy fabric, etc. Some people just don't like using the word "doll" because they associate it with humanoid toys for little girls, but nevertheless that's basically what they are.

EDIT: Huh. Well what do you know. All dolls are humanoid. Now I feel like a twit, having written that poem. :(

EDIT 2: Now I'm rewriting it. Most of it was easy, but unfortunately I rhymed "dolls" with "halls" so that verse needs to be completely reimagined. :(