Where the name "Avernum" actually came from...

adc.

So, in our literature, we encountered a word called "Avernus", it described in the book that it was an entrance to the underworld.

Source: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Avernus

Avernus was an ancient name for a crater in Italy which contained Lake Avernus (Lago d'Averno). It was believed to be the entrance to the underworld, and was portrayed as such in the Aeneid of Virgil. In later times, the word was simply an alternate name for the underworld.

My theory is that maybe Jeff just removed letter 's' and added letter 'm'. Which, might be true...

-------

-A

According to a poorly sourced article that anybody can edit; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Avernus, avernus derives from ancient Greek awornos (with w being some obsolete letter called "digamma") (modern aornos), meaning birdless (which I wildly speculate to be a cognate with aviary and aviator), as it was believed that it emitted poisonous fumes which would kill any birds unfortunate enough to fly over it.

EDIT: Sorry, Harehunter, I should've read your reference. blush It basically is a more detailed version of what I just posted. Perhaps I should add it as a reference in that Wikipedia article.

My favorite part of that article is that "the lake was confiscated by the police" in 2010. I understand what that means, and legally it makes sense, but the image it conjures is hilarious.

—Alorael, who is also reminded of a recent Oglaf about water theft. You can Google it yourself (try naiads); the entire comic is emphatically not safe for work and not legal for anyone under 18.