My opinion of Geneforge One

Cmiller

After finishing the first Geneforge, i have to sincerely say it took me a long time. However, the amount of time it took me to finish the game was well worth the battle.

The beginning of the game, i would say, was my most favorite part. I enjoyed talking (and fighting) with the serviles. It a pleasure getting to know some secrets about the three factions they had formed. One thing i didn't like with the serviles, is the game didn't go to much into explaining their background stories. Like how they formed, and some stories about the leaders of each sect. Yeah, there was the story with the Takers and Kazg. But what about the other two faction? That's just something i can't wrap my head around. Anyway, you get the point.

Another thing i enjoyed about Geneforge, was how much treasure you could find. I played Geneforge twice. Once as a Shaper, and the other time as a Guardian (i love playing Guardian the best). I had to say, when i found tavor's ring, that was incredible. I also loved the Guardian's Cloak, and that other powerful sword for a guardian. I forget the name, but it had the word "Guardian" in it. There are a lot of other treasures i liked too. Please if you can add some of your favourite treasures as well smile

Some of the special encounters were nice to. My three favorites was the servant my i met after defeating Corata. Also when i met Syros. I mainly liked this one because i killed him. And when i returned to Dayna, the only thing she said was. "We used to talk. But unfortunately he's dead." Something like that i supposed. It's like she never suspected it was me lol. The third one was when i killed Trajkov. Beating one of the bosses gave me a sense of pride.

One of my favourite quotes in the game was on a sign in the bandit woods.

"This is land of Ghurk

Pass Toll: 10 coins"

Anyway, you know all my favourite things about the game. I'd like to here yours.

Some things i didn't like:

Was the travel through some of the maps. Some were very, very difficult, such as the Eastern and Western Mines. There were also things you could do that could screw up your chances of clearing the area (and some areas i didn't even know how to clear.) One example is the underground river. I never could figure out how to raise the bridge. And the zone was never cleared for the entire game. Thankfully, however, i managed to turn off all the lava pools.

I wasn't too fond of the fact you only have limited amount of weight you can carry, and that your weight was effected by your strength affinity.

And, more surely, some background music could have been added to set tone. However, Jeff never did add music to his games. Its sad that i frown upon that. Music really helps my attitude toward playing a game. It would've been nice, but not "too" necessary i suppose.

Well, i guess i'm done sharing my opinions for now. Please, i'd like to hear some comments. Any would be appreciated.

Overall, i would say Geneforge was a very rewarding game to beat, and i really liked it.

Cmiller

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Cmiller
And, more surely, some background music could have been added to set tone. However, Jeff never did add music to his games. Its sad that i frown upon that. Music really helps my attitude toward playing a game. It would've been nice, but not "too" necessary i suppose.

Perhaps at key moments. But like Avernum, Geneforge has a strangely naturalist take on the world.

Also, Zavor's band, has a little a metal "ring" to it, which increases the awesomeness of the game, if you like metal. (pun intended)