Need an opinions

keira

More detailed thoughts on each image:

I agree that the background on the first one needs to be darker. Maybe a nice navy blue would give it that night-sky feel. Even then, I think it would still be a little cluttered. The way it is now, it's kind of hard to tell what's supposed to be part of the background and what's supposed to be part of the foreground.

What I like about the second one is that it looks elegant without being overly complicated. You've got a nice color scheme that's easy to look at and has just enough contrast to make it eye-catching. The fairly simple background helps to bring attention to the figure in the foreground (instead of being distracting). The one thing that I think would push this one over the top is if there was a little more detail on the foreground-image. Right now it's just a silhouette, and really it looks like it could be a silhouette of anything (if this hadn't been Sylae and ponies hadn't been mentioned, I would have guessed it was an angel).

I don't like the third one. The color scheme definitely doesn't work for me. Having that really light yellow with the navy and purple feels really jarring, and the yellow has enough gray in it that it ends up making the whole thing look drab. I really like the skull-and-wing pattern, but its smooth, curvy look just ends up clashing with the jagged lines in the background.

Okay, that's enough from me now. Going back to being a typical male here and saying "those look really nice." tongue

Originally Posted By: Rowen r0w3n!
Quote:
They all suck, go die or something like that.
This turned me away from giving any comment on the cards. It seems like you decided already that if someone doesn't like them then they must hate you and so their opinion doesn't matter.

Nope, just a combination of me being tired and me trying to be a smartass tongue

In other news, I'll draw up some alternate versions of number one and post them here later.

I've got zero graphic design experience, and I think that might be the case for others here as well. You might want to get a second opinion on a site dedicated to stuff like this.

My vote is for #1, mostly for the reasons The Ratt already said. Though this is assuming some day/night conflict is central to the game.

What type of game is this? If it's a TCG/CCG, you'll want to keep a consistent back, of course. But if it's a game where players duel with preset 'faction' decks, you might want to make separate backs for each faction. I still vote for keeping a consistent style for all backs, though.

How far along are you in designing/testing your game? If you haven't gotten to prototyping and playing with index cards, maybe do that first before you focus on how the card looks. smile Assuming you want to print physical copies, something like artscow.com might be what you want, though I've never used them and don't personally know what they're like price-wise and quality-wise.

(Also, what's the plan for this? A game for friends, or a freely available print-n-play, or something more? If you have plans on selling, you might want to check out trademark issues first. smile )

I answered you in the chat, Dinti, but I will answer here too tongue

1) It's a TCG, kind of like the pokémon of yore, although the semblance is not much because the last time I saw a pokémon card I was five. After what you said in the chat, I would concur that all the cards will have the same back.

2) I have the rules somewhat-thought out, it still needs tweaking and a hella lot of balancing and playtesting. And yeah, definitely physical copies. That site looks nifty but I'm prolly gonna shop around.

3) Cards will be free, but will sell cards, kind of like what arduino does with circuitry. If it gets anywhere I will most likely beam Hasbro's lawyer brigade, though they have been historically cool with stuff like this.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
I've got zero graphic design experience, and I think that might be the case for others here as well. You might want to get a second opinion on a site dedicated to stuff like this.

I can see doing something like that would end up getting a lot of negative feedback. Besides, a cool card game counts more than flashy cards.

I liked the first one best. #3 looks dull & depressing in terms of color content. # 2 looks semi monochromatic & for my taste a little loud. Both 2 & 3 lack motion. # one has motion, engaging color set. I like a little more detail in designs, but that's my personal quirk. No experience in design per se, but did see various playing card designs pass before my eyes at work.

For what it's work,

Parakeet

I will be quite curious to see how you develop this; I've long been fond of CCGs (or TCGs, or whatever other abbreviations you prefer), their design, and of course playing them. Have you played many such games? Or did you just feel inspired one day to start in an MLP:FIM game? Your demo card is intriguing.

I like B the best. A few suggestions, just from my preferences - Try adding radial symmetry at 180° to the stars. In other words, you should design the starts for the top half and then spin the same arrangement down to the bottom, so that kitty-corners have the same look. Also, can you bold the outline of the pegasi and darken the blue background just a little?

C stands out a lot more than the other two. The dark colour and sharp contrast also make it look a bit foreboding (while being impressive at the same time), but I'll still vote for it as A and B are so 'typical' and expected that nobody'll really notice them that much (in my opinion).

EDIT : The Ratt is right. I think the difference can be summed up as : C is eye-catchy; A and B are nice and pleasing.

The middle line is the cut line on those cards, outer is for bleed and the inner is the "safety zone" in case the printer goes on a killing spree or something. I probably won't be bordering the backs, because I'm not sure how accurate the company I'm looking at's cutters are. After a demo print I will most likely decide that.

also, final draft on the back, thoughts?:

a262e2e088bc8058a64dc957b11c665043e8785e

Originally Posted By: Dantius
One minor suggestion: Too much space around the edges of the cards. Maybe some sort of curly white-colored border around the whole thing?

That image includes bleeding and safety margins to account for any printing issues, in the A/B/C picture, the middle guide line is where the cutter is supposed to do its magic, but the printing company I am looking at recommends you keep an eighth inch margin away from that, which is the inner line. The outer line is the edge of the bleed, which is to make sure you have color all the way to the border.

That being said, I went and liberated some photo paper and printed out the card, note that the corners are waaay to rounded off, but it was the only rounder i could find and i didn't want to cut it freehand. pic!

(when it gets printed it should be on the red line.)

Right now I am alternating between writing the rules and doing cards. Also, how the hell did I not notice how unaligned the stars are. This will be fixed.

also, I gimmicked a link to a card earlier, the (nearly) complete version is here. The only issue as of this posting is that after running it though CMYK the font gets a little hard to read. Will be trying a lighter font colour when it is not 1:22 AM.