Accursed Cursor!

Gavaroc

First of all, greetings good people, I am extremely new as evidenced by the whole 'this is my first post' thing. I've known about Spiderweb for many years and always wanted to play the games, but years ago when I played some demos I was underage and my mother held the firm belief that every single online purchase in the world was a scam and that if I spent $20.00 on Geneforge 1, a syndicate of cannibalistic serial killers would extrapolate our address and send out an entourage to our doorstep for a Meet 'n' Eat. Or something to that effect, at least. The moral of the story is that I'm an adult now, I bought the Geneforge Saga and I haven't been murdered so eat that, mother. laugh

Still, there is an actual point to this topic. I shall get to that now.

I am currently playing Geneforge 2, having finished its predecessor last week. Throughout GF1 the game was mostly stable, though occasionally it crashed in the oddest way - the mouse stopped moving. Keyboard worked fine, game was still running and responding, but the cursor was as dead as an unarmed robber at a firearm store. Tabbing out of the window, the cursor worked fine. Tabbing back in? It took another extended nap. All that worked was to close and reboot the game. It never -lagged-, though. Worked like a charm whenever it wasn't freezing. The crashes were few and far between, happened maybe four times in total, so I didn't really think much of it, other than mumbling an expletive or two when I realised how long ago my last save was.

Then came Geneforge 2. I'm encountering these crashes roughly four times a -day-, now, as opposed to four times overall. Most of these occur shortly after startup, though, meaning it'll happen twice and then afterwards on the third booting the game will work fine until I finish my session, so it's not exactly damning. It's just damn annoying.

Is this a common issue? I googled it and it's listed on Spiderweb's site as a problem for MAC users, which would be lovely were I not playing on Windows 7. I can soldier on if I have to but if there's a solution somewhere out there in the World Wide Spiderweb, I'd certainly love to hear about it. Thanks. smile

(Oh and before any of you tell me to leave my sanity at the door, SURELY the above post more than proves I have nothing to leave.)

Tech support forum. ....Ah. That -would- be something I didn't notice, wouldn't it?

Erm, what generally happens here? Does a magical faerie of moderation wave his or her wand and teleport my thread over to the right place while I hang my head in shame, or is there something else I need to do, repost it, etc? Sorry about that, in any case.

And thanks Randomizer, I'll try compatibility mode and see if it improves it or explodes it.