Geneforge 1 - Delay when saving/loading games

Candew

Hello,

I did a search on the tech support forum, but could not seem to find a similar issue.

When either saving a game, loading a saved game or moving between areas, the game appears to stall (think?) for about 10 to 15 seconds. Is this delay 'normal' for loading areas into memory for this series of games.

I am running the game on XP Pro 32 bit with a quad core processor and a Radeon 6770.

Other than this, the game appears to be running smoothly. Oh, and I purchased all 5 titles from GOG.

Thanking you in advance for your feedback.

*Update* Thank you Randomizer! Knowing this is WAD I feel much better smile

*Update 16.07.2012* As I noticed the game was running more and more sluggish, I did a search and found a thread regarding the MS Compatibility Tool Kit. I applied the 'forceDirectDrawEmulation' fix and low and behold, the game is running super smooth now with no delays between saves, loading areas, etc.

That sounds about right for the read/write to your hard disk of the temporary files and autosave when you move between zone and loading new information into memory. Also you can see a lag during combat if there are lots of creations moving around.

You have to understand that Jeff may not have used the fastest way to pass information, just one that works without too many crashes.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It makes it easier to deal with these problems. smile