Who did you like better Celts or Romans and why?

Celts for me as well. After going through Exile with total magic dependence, I wasn't able to kick the habit. How can one live without access to light and unlock spells?

—Alorael, who also prefers slings to javelins. And he prefers woad to armor. And he just likes Celts more than Romans because, as everyone knows, barbarians are really cool.

I preferred the Celts, although largely because of their war paint, spiky hair, and seksi bare chests. In contrast to the exuberant wildness of the Celts, the Romans seemed to appear markedly dull. I didn't find the Celtic inability to wear armor to be much of a liability, and their spell-casting abilities more than made up for such drawbacks anyway. While I found myself constantly running low on light sources, lockpicks, and javelins while playing as the Romans, no such problems surfaced while playing as the Celts. Spells were an economical and convenient replacement for cumbersome items, and the reusability of slings made them far more useful than javelins.

I prefered the Romans. You can't identify yourself with seksi spike-haired barbarians who use bodypaint. If you can, please contact a doctor.

You can, however, identify yourself with dull people. People who are just trying to do their work. People who haven't got a clue what they're up against. People who would rather just go home and live a peaceful life with their family. And that's how I see my special force consisting of four Roman soldiers.

I can identify with people who don't bathe regularly or wear clothes and who regularly go into bouts of uncontrolled, violent rage...

—Alorael, who doesn't think he'd make a very good Roman or Celt. Since he's not much like either one, he just goes with the cooler, magic-using group. No, he can't identify with using magic, either.

I prefer the Romans, not only for their professionalism, armor and weapons but for the missions. I kinda identify with them anyway - the whole 'civilize' the world thing and all that.

Plus I hear they took native wives, but nah, that can't be a factor, of course not...

I prefer playing the Celts — you get to use magic, which is a huge benefit, especially the heal spell. The first time I played Nethergate, I had a Roman team, but didn't make it very far — kept getting grievoiusly injured with no way to heal myself quickly and repeatedly. Ran into that "you've used First Aid on Brutus too recently" notice all the time.

Also, with the Celts there's that whole "underdog" aspect. You know, the natives heroically fighting against their repressors, striving to save magic and wonder in a world of aggressive rationality, etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally written by Seaweed:
I prefered the Romans. You can't identify yourself with seksi spike-haired barbarians who use bodypaint. If you can, please contact a doctor.
I can, and I will. It's my ancestry. I thought it was great to finally see a roleplaying game (and a GOOD, shareware roleplaying game, at that) involving the Celts. Of course, I'm playing through as both, and they both have different functions for different styles of play. Like whoever you want, play whoever you want, express your opinion all you like. Just be careful with the wisecracks, especially around Celts, or you may be the one contacting a doctor. wink

In game, I like them both equally. I use them both depending on my mood. I like the Celts better, but it has nothing to do with gameplay.

• 2 months later...

Celts and romans are great, here are my best characters of Romans and Celts at the begin of the game:

Gordon:-darts of ice (2 targets).

-beast call (2 beasts).

-74% chance to hit with a spear.

-70% chance to hit with a sling.

Publius:-96% chance to hit with a spear.

-94% chance to hit with a javelin.

-4 at strengt (much damage)

-armor use, hardiness and shielding at 2

If you play with these characters, boths sides are fun

romans are nice early on, cause they're not always getting stomped on like the celts. but yeah, they're fuddy-duddys. celts are much more fun.

and to the person who can identify with the romans, but not with the crazed, woad-wearing celts:

you can identify with a group of people who pour oil over themselves instead of bathing? and eat mice? and routinely vomit up their meals just so they have room for second helpings? not me...

• 5 months later...
Quote:
Originally written by mcubed9877:
romans hands down they are better with the weapon and can go pretty much anywhere the choose except maybe inside nethergate
That's true. But Celts are hands-down better with magic and can go pretty much anywhere they choose, including the inside of Shadow Valley Fort.

—Alorael, who need not add that angering a Celt is likely to cause you to wake up with sticky blue stuff on your face and your hair stuck in ridiculous spikes.

I like them both. I've studied both histories, have heritage on either side. I like the proffessional aspect of the Romans, and I like the added challenge of not having magic. Magic makes the game so easy.....try beating a band of blue-haired lunatics who have swords, shields, and magic, when all you've got is sword, shield, and SKILL on your side (But I play as a singleton, so of course I have the die-hard mentality.)

Meanwhile, I like the Celts as a singleton also, because I like the idea of being that one man standing on one edge of the field, fifty armed soldiers rushing at him, cutting them down like they're nothing, frying massive numbers of them with a fireball. So hey....my 2 cents.