How do I Enlarge the Playing Field in the Middle ?

Have a large screen. The screen is set at 800 x 600 for the game. Everything is large except the playing field in the middle. The little people are very little and it is hard to see, for these old eyes. Is it possible to enlarge the bit where everything happens, and if so, please tell me how to do it. Thank you In Avernum 3

I can sympathize; my monitor's default resolution is 1440x900. Here are two options you can try (there may be more):

• When you play the game, have it change your monitor resolution to 800x600. The screen resolution will change back to your previous settings when you close the game.
  • Set up a virtual machine using VirtualBox, and play your game there. For low-resolution games like this one, VirtualBox has a handy "Scale Mode" that allows you to stretch the screen so you can see better.

Thanks for writing back. The monitor works fine at 800 x 600. I can easily7 see everything on the screen EXCEPT the middle bit where the warriors etc are wandering around. It is small especially next to all the rest. Plus it has a lot of black around it. I hope there is a way to increase the middle bit and decrease all the black around it so that the size of the little people is much larger.

I just played around a bit with Avernum 3, and I think I see what you mean.

To get rid of the black border, go into the "Settings" menu, and uncheck "Avernum takes up full screen."

The only way to make the game window larger is to play the game in 800x600 resolution; this should also help make the black border disappear, or else lessen it. You can't enlarge just the part where your party is walking around.

Thanks. Have got the game in 800 x 600 and the black border is in the middle around where the party is walking around. It is the "in the middle" bit where the party is walking around that I have been trying to make bigger. The rest of the game takes up the whole screen. Sigh. This unfortunately makes A3 too hard to play for me.

Black border? Haven't encountered that before. Or maybe your characters might have the wrong graphics. Or maybe they're just actually too small especially in the outdoors. Actually, just try uploading a pic of it on photobucket, link it here and at least we could provide help.

-------------

Or maybe if you think that the graphics might be corrupted, just try reinstalling the game...

-------------

Feel free to ask just about anything here mate.

Hmmmnn... I'm using a netbook and simply not having a problem with this. But I became dumbo and thought of a futile idea of changing the graphic of my char to the vampire's (I actually found out how to actually replace it without problems last week). So, then it turned into a black, rectangle walking around like a censored-naked guy. That's the black thing I've experienced once

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Rehctawthgin's ÜberCharge
Hmmmnn... I'm using a netbook and simply not having a problem with this. But I became dumbo and thought of a futile idea of changing the graphic of my char to the vampire's (I actually found out how to actually replace it without problems last week). So, then it turned into a black, rectangle walking around like a censored-naked guy. That's the black thing I've experienced once

lol. Btw, if u can do that, i is possible to create your own sprites by scratch and upload them in the game. Or would that ruin the game completely. I think it'd be kinda of cool if you could give your characters their own unique graphics.

"Sprite" is the term for any 2D static image, and sometimes for individual frames of 2D animation. I'm sure Game Maker uses the term too, but it didn't originate it.

—Alorael, who can assure you that it's quite possible to make your own sprites. Many people do just that for Blades of Avernum. Characters require quite a large number of sprites to look good, but it's not too hard to set up.