Is the Game You Got On Steam Crashing?

Spidweb

A number of people have purchased Geneforge Saga and Avernum 4-6 from Steam and found that they crashed on launch. This problem seems more common (or exclusive to) on 64-bit versions of Windows.

It is not a universal problem. It doesn't happen on all Windows PCs, even those using the 64-bit version of the operating system. However, we are determined to make sure everyone who pays for these games gets a working copy of them.

If you purchased one of our games on Steam and it doesn't work, write us at support@spiderwebsoftware.com. Be SURE to tell us the games that aren't working. We will provide a download link to a version that should work correctly for you.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and we are also talking to Steam. Hopefully we can come up with a fix for the problem.

- Jeff Vogel

Thursday morning update ...

I have heard back from Steam. Nobody will be surprised to hear that this IS a problem related to the newest Steam update. They are working on fixing it.

If they can't fix it soon, I have come up with versions of Avernum 4 and 5 and Geneforge 1-4 that work around the problem, and I will submit the patches on Monday if the issue isn't resolved by them.

I may be able to come up with a workaround sooner, but I need to check in with Steam to see if it's workable for general users.

We apologize sincerely for this problem. It WILL be fixed in the next few days.

In the meantime, Geneforge 5 and Avernum 6 do work. Playing them instead of the game you want to play is a lousy solution, but at least it's something to do until them.

- Jeff Vogel

There is something that would be a big help. Steam just came out with a new beta client, and I think it fixes the problem. At least, it works for me on 2 machines.

If someone wanted, they could launch Steam, go onto Settings, and in the Account tab, choose to download the beta client (under "Beta participation"). After it is installed, relaunch Steam and try Avernum 4 or 5.

If you try this and it works, please post the results in this thread. I think the nightmare might be almost over.

- Jeff Vogel