Oh, I know. My character, Reaver Storm, has been untouchable for a while. I'm only playing on hard, first time attempt at a singleton. Those passive gains from Primary Attributes really put you ahead of the curve. Watching a circle of giants all swing and miss, dragons, demons, might hit me once every ten tries. Next singleton attempt will be Torment.

Originally Posted By: Abdulla AlBinali
How do you have that many Wisdom Crystals? To my knowledge there is only one source of Mandrak Root and its the one near the Giant Cave. Is there a different source or are there shops that sell the Root?

It's a respawning source, so you can run around Avernum forever collecting as much mandrake as you like if you're patient enough. And remember, he only had a single character, so he only needed 1/4 as many crystals to level up his party anyway.

I'm a diligent, persistent herb collector. Once all the herbs respawn, it only takes about a minute to run around to all seven locations - start on foot with the Healing Herbs north of Cotra, down to the Healing Herbs between Silvar and Fort Avernum, down to the Spiritual Herbs east of Metris, shortcut through the Honeycomb to the Energetic Herbs (trying to avoid the merchants) - double back to my boat off the shore of Fort Dranlon, boat north to the Healing Herbs by the Monestary, back south and west and north to the Graymold, then a jaunt west into Giant Lands for the Mandrake. Take the boat back to Fort Dranlon and set the run up again.

Basic rule of thumb is that after going into an area, fighting a bunch of enemies, finishing a quest, the herbs will be regrown. It doesn't take long to collect them and the benefit of Wisdom Crystals and Invulnerability Potions is great.

I hold off on using the Wisdom Crystals until the endgame, then see how levelled I can get my characters. 4 player - level 38. Singleton - maxed out with many left over. I'm looking forward to seeing how levelled I can get a two character party.

Thing is with me, two of my characters are quite weak (Archer and Rogue) and use them exclusively on archery. Whereas my other two characters (Berserker and Soldier) are quite tough. All of whom are offensive players. The Archer and Rogue are on level 42, they evade a lot hits but once their hit they take a lot of damage and don't do enough of it.

The Berserker and Soldier are on level 48 and 47 respectively. Even though I consider them tough, they're not that tough. I pretty much ran out of quests to do and I'm struggling with the Slay the Emperor quest. I went through that quest but find myself taking a lot of damage and essentially needing a lot of pots to stay alive and there are a lot of items there with not enough room in my party's bag and no way of escaping (I believe) till after the Emperor is dead.

Which means, I have to use a lot of pots in order to complete that quest or level up my characters and hope I end up using less. Is this quest, is there a way out without having to defeat the Emperor, if just to sell items and back? Same issue with Avadon and the final fight. A lot of fighting to get through and then you get the final battle, end up running out of pots. Its why I couldn't complete Avadon.

There's no way back until you complete the mission. You can store a huge amount of stuff in your junk bag.

And it's safe to say that you're having trouble mostly because of your choice not to include dedicated spellcasters in your party. It's probably possible to complete the game that way, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first attempt. And archers just can't compete in the end game.

It's pretty impressive that you've made it this far. I hope you make it to the end. smile

Hehe, I hope so too tongue

By the way, I had no idea until now that there was a junk bag tongue

Just one thing, in the quest, Slay the Emperor, there is a part where everyone keeps re-spawning. If I choose the other way, I end up immediately dying. I'm currently looking for a secret passage but assuming there isn't one..how often do the guards...etc keep re-spawning?

I found that the simplest way to complete the quest is not to fight anyone you don't have to. Having blink as a mage helps a lot, but even if you don't have it, simply run past the endless royal guards - only two of them should follow you at a time due to corridor width. I then ran into the throne room and focused my attacks on one golem. Keep hitting him until the emperor's shield goes down, blink to the emperor and kill him, then blink to the portal exit. To me this kind of fast in and out approach is the only realistic way such an assassination could have been done in the first place.