Changing the persistent world (possible suggestion)

This is something that I feel is missing in AEftP and it could be a possible suggestion for future games and remakes.

In Blosk you have some stairs down where you arrive at a underground room with one of those teleporting pylons under construction (it's in Blosk, right?). It would be realy cool if there was a foreman near the pylon that would give you quests for you to help him finish the pylon (by getting him hammers, bricks, etc.) and after completing his quests he would finish construction and the pylon would become usable.

My point here is that the persistent world that Jeff usually implements in his games could suffer minor changes here and there based on some quests. The player would complete the quest and that would trigger a change in the map like a working pylon, a rebuilt wall or the creation of a shipwright in a coastal city (probably without any boats since there wasn't enough time for one to be built).

That would increase the "I'm part of the building and shaping of Avernum in it's early years" feeling that AEftP gives to the player. It would make the player feel even more linked to the story.

I don't know if any of you feels the same, but there are some things in AEftP that feel a little bit akward to me, like:

• there's no one near the pylon in blosk, so how is the pylon actually going to be finished?
  • fort dranlon keeps getting attacked by the sliths and they use magical barriers to replace lost walls util they can rebuild (according to the story telling). Since I've already dealt with the swamp city and slith fortress and freed the human slaves in the slith villages around fort dranlon they should've had time to rebuild their walls instead of continuing to have the fort all patched up with magical barriers;
  • The same in fort emerald. After the player sucessfully cleans the sliht fort to the nort of it, all those barriers patching up fort emerald's walls should be replaced by normal walls.

Perhaps the rebuilding of walls would require the player to spend a certain amount of time travelling in the outdoors after completing the quests.

These are just some ideas I write here in case Jeff finds them interesting.

Originally Posted By: Kreador
The one thing I'd have liked to be able to do is help that woman in Fort Avernum to get to her sister.

Eh, that's pure laziness on both their parts. They know where each other are, and they pretty much have the shortest town-to-town distance in all of Avernum to cross. If neither of them can be bothered to go for a short walk (or hitch a ride on a caravan which must surely go from one town to the other), then why should the dopey sword guys help out? tongue

Originally Posted By: Kreador
The one thing I'd have liked to be able to do is help that woman in Fort Avernum to get to her sister.

Yeah me too.
At first I thought that I needed to get a certain level of reputation for that quest to come up but then I realised that, no matter how high my reputation got, that wouldn't happen.

Perhaps in Avernum 2 they'll be united.

I forgot to mention that I really like the ideas in your original post. You're Heros of Avernum, there's no reason that you shouldn't be involved with various projects in various towns with all your traveling around & helping different people.

For A2, gathering items to help the Vahnatai wake up/rebuild, items that are only found/available in Olgai, or elsewhere that has been awake for a little while. Bringing special equipment up to Harston/Scimtar that they need for their raids/dissent. Etc

If Jeff is going to do a full rewrite of at least through A3, we should start brainstorming things like that that might be able to be included to really add to the background 'feel' of the game.

What would be good is a sort of persistance between 1 and 2 now. Keep your characters, have the choices you made match up to #2 and influence it and so on.

But, that would be a lot to do and would mean a lot of work, especially to make it read your save and keep your characters and match your decisions.

Interesting idea but I can see a couple large problems right off the bat. First, by transferring over the people from A1 they'd be starting off A2 as level 30+ famous heros. The story is (as of now) that you're new recruits to the army & just got up to the Ft Draco area just as the barriers went up. Jeff would need to completely rewrite things to explain why the heros who just saved Avernum were shoved off in the backwaters of the caves rather than living it up near/in the Castle. 2nd, Jeff would have to completely rewrite the monsters encountered as the level 30 heros would just tear through everything with no challenge until they got back & started beating on the empire troops (& even then not much of a fight). Then there's the whole, if you ran a singleton in A1, would you be forced to do the same in A2?

So an interesting idea for conversation purposes but as far as 'real life' down in the caves, it wouldn't be worth the time or the headaches it would cause Jeff. Let your guys from here fade off into the history books & make room for some new people to name schools after....

Originally Posted By: TriRodent
Interesting idea but I can see a couple large problems right off the bat. First, by transferring over the people from A1 they'd be starting off A2 as level 30+ famous heros. The story is (as of now) that you're new recruits to the army & just got up to the Ft Draco area just as the barriers went up. Jeff would need to completely rewrite things to explain why the heros who just saved Avernum were shoved off in the backwaters of the caves rather than living it up near/in the Castle. 2nd, Jeff would have to completely rewrite the monsters encountered as the level 30 heros would just tear through everything with no challenge until they got back & started beating on the empire troops (& even then not much of a fight). Then there's the whole, if you ran a singleton in A1, would you be forced to do the same in A2?

So an interesting idea for conversation purposes but as far as 'real life' down in the caves, it wouldn't be worth the time or the headaches it would cause Jeff. Let your guys from here fade off into the history books & make room for some new people to name schools after....

That is true - the level thing i think could be mitigated by lowering you character levels (probably to around 5 or so) and just saying "In the 5 years since the heroes Killed Grah-Hoth, Assassinated the Emperor and found the exit, the busy gits, they have been unable to keep up with their fighting and other abilities due to being given positions of office"
The story thing is the main aspect, yeah. Would mean it would have to be rewrote in key places.

The singleton aspect, i suppose so unless you just hire some people.
It could also be that you just carry one character over from this into the second, the 'party leader' of sorts.

Then that just throws more awkwardness into it though 'cause you'd expect to see your other characters as NPC's.

These ideas wont really work for this series now but a future idea maybe. Even if it's just small references of text to the past game like "this is where the heroes fought a great battle against sulfras"

Originally Posted By: TriRodent
I just noticed the 'post #1', welcome to the chaos.

Cheers laugh
I never had the fortune of playing the old Spiderweb games so new to the series of avernum (i've read about it on the wiki and these forums, have the idea where it'll lead upto in the future games in this remake series) but loving it anyway. Bought Avernum and Avadon on steam. Started playing Avernum when I had a week off of work and addicted to it, outstanding game. Just finished one part of the end-game, reached the surface, only took me 60+ hours (I love to explore every knook and cranny of games). Just got to do the other 2 endgame parts now.

Originally Posted By: Halbarad

These ideas wont really work for this series now but a future idea maybe. Even if it's just small references of text to the past game like "this is where the heroes fought a great battle against sulfras"

There are actually references like that scattered throughout A2-6. Conversations with storekeepers will mention the previous group passing through years ago, prior excursions into the pit, etc. I think that my favorite one was the one guy who was confused (because so much time had passed) if the group passing through had 4 or 6 adventurers with them (in the Exile version you controlled 6 characters compared with Avernum's 4).

It is nice to find those as you're going through the games as it gives a feeling of continuity/history to your quests & yet are so subtle/unimportant that someone new to the games won't even notice. Plus the comments are generic enough that it doesn't matter if you changed their names in your previous game.

Jeff ought to stick in a "Raffles Room L" plaque in an inn in one of the older towns commemorating the spot where the plot to assassinate the Emperor was hatched by Erica, Patrick & Micah..... that would be funny

Is a rewrite of 2 & 3 on the cards? I'd totally buy them.

My main gripe that I wish Jeff could fix up is the journal. Entry after entry titled "Special Encounter". And you can't save the really useful information like price lists for trainers.

I do like Mad Genius' idea of more persistent changes. I was a bit disappointed that people were still going on about the Slith and Bandit menaces. I just need to assassinate the Emperor, and I'm done; why are they bugging me about stuff I dealt with ages ago?