The Most Badass Face in History

Dintiradan

People of Spiderweb, which historical badass had the most badass face?

I'm not just asking which person merely looked badass. Nor am I asking which historical person was the most badass. I'm interested in the intersection between the two. Which person was one of the great badasses of history, and had a face that demonstrated that fact the best?

My nomination:

godinamerica-douglas_t614.jpg

Frederick Douglass: Badass

Wild_Bill_Hickok_sepia.png

I was looking for a badass face, and found a serious badass whose face was, uh, not exactly. Meet poor old Wild Bill Hickok, the deadliest gunslinger of the Wild West.

It's hard to beat Fred Douglass, though, for the face. I'm glad it's not me he's so angry at.

EDIT: Apparently many of Hickok's exploits may have been exaggerated. Maybe he wasn't really any more badass than he looks. Meh.

Originally Posted By: echo
Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Let's face it. The man was badass enough to make monocles look badass.

Monocles not pictured, right? Also, he kinda looks like a grandpa. frown

Anyway, since I didn't read the thread properly, I'll return later to add a picture. tongue

Roosevelt didn't wear a monocle, at least not in most pictures. Those are pince-nez glasses. I had a fantasy about getting a pair for a while. I don't have the mustache for them, though.

Originally Posted By: Master1

Anyway, since I didn't read the thread properly, I'll return later to add a picture. tongue

Roosevelt didn't wear a monocle, at least not in most pictures. Those are pince-nez glasses. I had a fantasy about getting a pair for a while. I don't have the mustache for them, though.
I am aware that he is not wearing a monocle, but he did wear one, and he looks more badass in this picture. tongue

Originally Posted By: Master1

I am aware that he is not wearing a monocle, but he did wear one, and he looks more badass in this picture. tongue

You're right. I had forgotten about those pictures. Either way, Roosevelt has some stylish eye-wear.

teddy.jpg

General_sherman.jpg

Good face.

—Alorael, who went looking into empires on Wikipedia, though of course most of them rose and fell without leaving any good likenesses of conquerors and leaders. He finds it fascinating to look at the different measurements. Britain wins on size, but apparently the Persians controlled almost half the world's population in their day. And the Roman Empire isn't really so remarkable for being large, although it was, but for lasting longer. Only a few centuries for the Empire proper, but almost a full millennium if you include the Republic. Count from the beginning of the Roman Kingdom to the fall of Byzantium and the Roman state, not always including Rome itself, held out more than two thousand years.

Objection!

Walken might have a badass face, and may have acted as a badass on occasion, but I don't think he qualifies as a historical badass. If we start listing off all actors who merely look badass, we might be here a while.

(On a side note, I think George C. Scott looked more like Patton than Patton did.)

If you do want an actor who looks badass and also was badass before he started acting, look no further:

Christopher-Lee-christopher-lee-17378721

Christopher Lee: Badass

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
People of Spiderweb, which historical badass had the most badass face?

Genghiz Khan, Timur/Tamerlane, Alexander the Great, Saladin, Belisarius, and a dozen other great conquerors did not leave behind adequately imposing visages. Please don't throw them up here; we know they're badass, but the faces aren't coming through. Leonidas gets recognition for being badass in defeat, but still no face to back it up. Simo Häyhä doesn't have the face left, period, which is badass in its own way, but he just doesn't look terrifying. Audie Murphy looks downright wholesome. Miyamoto Musashi, Oda Nobunaga, and Toyotami Hideoshi have some paintings and one portrait photo that I could find, but they don't convey menace.

You know who looks like he could seriously ruin your empire, though?

Gandhi_South-Africa.jpg

(And, for the record, there's this other guy whose youthful likeness doesn't do nearly enough to convey his badass nature, with emphasis on both the bad and the ass.)

tumblr_llm8543HLg1qb8e34o1_400.jpg

—Alorael, who has even more trouble with Joan of Arc. Among other problems, half the time she's portrayed in saintly, almost monastic poses. She heard God, but she also beat on the English pretty hard.

One could also conclude that Slarty doesn't always share the same tastes as everyone else. The same could be said of his sense of humor - I'm fairly certain that some of these were posted humorously - after all, look at the thread type! Then again, maybe he's joking and it's beyond the comprehension of us mean folk.

I left the definition of badass deliberately vague. To be completely honest, one of my goals was to have a thread I could scroll through whenever I wanted to be confronted with the piercing stare of badasses throughout history. Okay, so maybe just the part of history that had photographs, but you get the idea.

(For a similar effect, see what happened to Alorael's postcount thread.)

The other goal was to propose a deathmatch, but since Bruce Lee was one of the badasses posted, there's not much point.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Objection!

Walken might have a badass face, and may have acted as a badass on occasion, but I don't think he qualifies as a historical badass. If we start listing off all actors who merely look badass, we might be here a while.

I think Walken is a perfect intersect between looking and being badass.

His acting career is a reflection of his personal taste and sense of humor, and what he has contributed to the film industry has definitely made him a historical badass.
Plus, getting stoned with Clinton is badass.