Avadon for iPad, combat freezes

Sir Hazar

After each turn in combat phase game freezes for some time (one to few seconds), pretty annoying as you can imagine. Animation stops, game become unresponsive, any command given during freeze resolves after it.

Not reinstall nor reboots fixed this. Avadon is the only app running. iPad 2.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

iPad's not a PC...

There is a way to play the PC version if you are really keen. Install one of the paid or free remote desktop apps, such as Logmein or Teamviewer, and play Avadon for the PC on your iPad.

Not a big deal unless you are trying to set up an SSH connection for your VNC session to tunnel through. smile

How many background apps are you running? Avadon, like any other big game, takes quite a bit of power. If you have many background apps running, there may be enough RAM taken up that it's causing the game to slow down, particularly in combat when there are many more calculations to run. Try quitting all background apps and test combat speed.

Originally Posted By: Avadon
iPad's not a PC...

Yeah, I somehow noticed. I mentioned PC version to point out what my lag is not some typical calculation but flaw of the port or some other issue.

To Master1 I know you trying to help but in my original post I wrote "Avadon is the only app running."

Can someone please confirm he has no such freeze in combat and has smooth transition between turns on iPad version. To begin with something.

@Sir Hazar

The pauses between combat turns happen on my iPad 2 3G 16GB running iOS 5.1 when it is the only app running and the system had just been rebooted. I am unsure if this is due to the latest patch or if it has existed since Avadon 1.0

BTW, I was not being facetious when I suggested VNCing into your PC. As a turn based game, Avadon should work well over such a connection. It works well enough when I do it for Microsoft Word.

I just tried this with the very latest App Store version on my iPad (same specifications as yours). I stayed in combat after the very first combat in game and noticed a minor (under a second) delay whilst the game cycled through the combat turns of everybody nearby. I had other apps running at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Avernum: Escape from the Pit for the iPad doesn't have those weird pauses. Avadon is still playable though it might grate somewhat if you are coming from Avernum.

Read my other thread in General about TouchGen's Avernum review and you will see that Avernum is indeed running on an upgraded version of Avadon's game engine as it shares the same bugs.