Does anybody use the berzerk skill?

It says that the skill makes you 5% more likely to hit your enemies, but your enemies are also 5% more likely to hit you. So wouldn't that mean if your berzerk skill was 20 or more the enemies would almost never miss? And why would it also be a character trait (considered a bad one at that)?

I've only recently started playing Nethergate (finished one game as the Celts, halfway through my first game as the Romans).

As the Celts I didn't find the damage too excessive - I gave both my fighters the berzerk trait and lots of points in the skill. My reason for choosing the option was that with a pair of druids backing up as healers why worry about the damage taken while you're dealing more damage.

The trait is fairly neutral in effect, but it increases the experience you gain. I stick it on all my characters and use some of the extra skill points for a bit more defense and hardiness.

The skill is also more or less neutral, but instead of increasing the skill points you get it takes skill points. I steer clear of it for the most part, although a few points at the lowest skill point cost are an effective way to raise your damage at the very beginning of the game.

—Alorael, who would boost the skill more if there were a time in Nethergate when his characters were virtually impossible to hit. Unlike his Avernum parties, his Nethergate parties are always threatened by certain tough monsters even at the end of the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The aggravating part about nethergate is that slings and even javelins never seems to do much damage no matter how much skill I pump into them. Killing from afar sounds easier than it is. Also, some of the distance spells cost quite a bit, and sometimes you end up drained from blasting goblins when you meet a tougher enemy.