What's your most awkward moment?

keira

Today I got bullied into "family bonding fun time". This loosely translates into standing around the home depot while my mom tries to get Wayne in the shower department to help her look at shower doors that she can't afford. Anyway, there was also mandatory movie watching time.

So she rents The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

That was quite possibly the most awkward two hours of my life.

Well, today I found out that I misgraded several students' lab exam submissions by testing with an outdated version of Python, thus failing them when they should have passed. But that's less "feeling awkward" and more "feeling terrible because I gave a bunch of people a horrible, stress-filled weekend full of self-doubt before I could fix the problem". :-(

My second best friend in high school was in choir with me all four years. During senior year he decided to date one of the altos. Except, she wasn't just anyone. She was a sophomore and came from a very conservative, prominent Mormon family. She was also one of my sister's closest friends. Her father was the ESL teacher at the high school, and he did not approve of the relationship at all (he didn't allow his children to date, period). Her mother was one of my mom's coworkers and one of her closest friends. You can see where this is going.

I'd try not to smirk when I'd see them together, because sometimes they were oddly...affectionate. One day in choir our music teacher had to get the soprano part into line. That meant everyone else wasn't doing anything. My friend goes to the bathroom, and since the other three basses were gone that day I was sitting alone. She walks over and sits next to me, and suddenly her hand is wayyyyyyy too far up my leg to be considered "friendly." She starts asking about my day while, um...

Meanwhile there's one thought going through my head: Red Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Sylae
So she rents The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

That was quite possibly the most awkward two hours of my life.

I've not seen that, so I'm probably missing the context on why that would be awkward...

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Well, today I found out that I misgraded several students' lab exam submissions by testing with an outdated version of Python, thus failing them when they should have passed. But that's less "feeling awkward" and more "feeling terrible because I gave a bunch of people a horrible, stress-filled weekend full of self-doubt before I could fix the problem". :-(

Ooh, yeah; been there done that. Though in my case, I was standing in a lab room on the first day without ever having used Python 3 before, trying to catch up to the changes on the fly without telling the students too much outdated BS. It was all like "huh, I'm not sure that'll work... oooh, okay, yeah" or "here, you just use map() on this list... whoops, that returns an iterator now? okay... "

(The same thing happened to me when I was grading Java homework in 2005, only they were using Java 5 and I saw generics for the first time in my life. I'd interpreted them as really weird syntax errors in 2 submissions before realizing I should probably ask someone.)

Originally Posted By: Beer and Motor Oil
I referred the girl with the dragon tattoo to my parents and got them to buy it. Both of whom are conservative christians.

Oh, now I get it.

Heh, my parents actually gave me The Life of Brian as a christmas present, and we watched it together. They're not even particularly religious (to the point where I'm not actually sure what they believe, because we never really talked about it, but they still sent me to Sunday school and baptism and confirmation etc.) and yet I felt awkward at the deliciously blasphemous final scene.

Went to the theater to watch Grandma's Boy with the pastor... He turned to watch our reactions during the... uh... scene where... uh... the guy plays with action figures.

At least I was not guilty of being the one to choose the movie. Chris said it was supposed to be good so I didn't even glance at the rating. Or was that the pastor... I can't remember anymore.

It took a while to think of one, but considering the story I'm not sure why. Maybe I blocked it out:

I was a kid, grade school age, not a kindergartner or toddler for whom this sort of behavior would more expected and understandable. My father and I were vacationing on trains across the US and occasionally into Canada. In Vancouver we stayed at a YMCA building, which had rooms without en suite bathrooms. I woke up in the middle of the night, and really had to use the bathroom. My father had stepped out to pick something up from the store or take in the nightlife, I can't recall exactly, but he'd taken our only room key. I was essentially sleepwalking at this point, and didn't realize that without said key I couldn't get into the bathroom, or back to our room. I think I ended up peeing in the hallway, then pounded on the door for a minute or two before giving up and sitting, sullen and naked, in the hallway. Eventually three friendly twenty-something Japanese tourists (who fortunately spoke English pretty well) found me, put a blanket on me, and invited me back to their room to wait until my father came back. He found me there a couple hours later.

I'm a believer in the idea of "A situation is only awkward if you make it," but this hasn't always been true. One story that I can remember that always makes me cringe had to do with me during my early teens, surprise surprise. Though it probably isn't my most awkward story, it's the one I always think of, for whatever reason.

It was the first semester at junior high, and one of the projects I had been assigned was to record a made-up story on Audacity, incorporating some of its stock sound effects. My story was a thinly veiled reference to some new "friends" I had made in the class, in which I tweaked their names ever so slightly. Of course, these friends were really only acquaintances, but my mind didn't grasp that at the time.

When it came time to submit the project, I was the only one to correctly save it to the server. As the presentation portion of the assignment, we listened to all the recordings, starting with mine. This means that I had to watch the rest of the class react to my lame story, and see the looks of annoyance on my acquaintances' faces.

I also loath to hear myself speak from a recording.

Well. Perhaps it might have been giving a solo presentation in class before I got into drama. Or maybe it was most of my social interactions. Or maybe it was realizing that I actually didn't really care much for making out with this one girl. Or maybe it was my realization that I used to be very annoying to here and probably elsewhere in the past.

I'm not sure. My life has been awkward in general.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
My second best friend in high school was in choir with me all four years. During senior year he decided to date one of the altos. Except, she wasn't just anyone. She was a sophomore and came from a very conservative, prominent Mormon family. She was also one of my sister's closest friends. Her father was the ESL teacher at the high school, and he did not approve of the relationship at all (he didn't allow his children to date, period). Her mother was one of my mom's coworkers and one of her closest friends. You can see where this is going.

I'd try not to smirk when I'd see them together, because sometimes they were oddly...affectionate. One day in choir our music teacher had to get the soprano part into line. That meant everyone else wasn't doing anything. My friend goes to the bathroom, and since the other three basses were gone that day I was sitting alone. She walks over and sits next to me, and suddenly her hand is wayyyyyyy too far up my leg to be considered "friendly." She starts asking about my day while, um...

Meanwhile there's one thought going through my head: Red Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish my awkward moments were more like yours and less actually awkward and depressing.

I was rushing to get to my own wedding on time after I slept in, barely made it, was in a muddle through the whole ceremony. I completely blanked on her name during the ceremony. Now that's awkward, cliché as it is.

Of course, it turns out I went to the wrong wedding, so the reason I didn't know her name is that we'd never met, but her husband left at the altar and she was also too dazed to notice. It's worked out pretty well so far.

—Alorael, who doesn't try to hang on to awkward moments. He doesn't think he's had any truly horrendous ones since childhood, and those are less awkward and more normal childhood and adolescence. Or maybe all the ones he's had have just been blocked out, which is also okay!

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
Originally Posted By: Sylae
It's pretty awkward to get a text randomly that says "I am breaking up with you."

That could have been worse. I've heard of situations in which people have gotten long, complicated (often spiteful and emotional) break up texts from unknown numbers. Now that is awkward.

I made the mistake of getting a refurbished phone, so I'd get a lot of texts addressed to a "jake." I think "jake" was a drug dealer. When I told people they had the wrong number they'd try to argue with me about it.

Whereas I live in an apartment that has apparently housed exclusively people who don't know how to update their mailing addresses. I get mail for my former flatmate, and one friend who crashed here over last summer, but at least I know where they live. The other five or six people whose mail shows up here...not so much.

I had a college roommate with the same first name so we occasionally got each other's phone calls, this was a land line back before cell phones were common. So when I answered the phone one night I got a woman with a good set of lungs since she was both loud and able to yell for a long time about why she hated me. When she finally stopped as I held the phone far away from me, I asked if the guy she wanted was and gave my roommate's description which she acknowledged was the guy she wanted. So I went next door to get my roommate and grabbed his chair to play a video game he was playing.

Five minutes later my roommate returned to tell me how grateful he was, because she was so embarrassed about yelling at the wrong guy that she couldn't yell at him. He also wanted his chair and video game back. smile

To continue the line of "movies one should not watch with their parents", I present to you my two offerings. Snakes on a Plane and Thankskilling.

The former, in addition to simply being a bad movie that isn't bad enough to be good, has at least one extended nude scene (after that one I just left the room). The latter... well, go ahead and watch the first five minutes. NSFW. I'll wait.

...yep. I can at least say I tried to stop them on that one.

I think one of the oddest moments I had was when my college friend came back fro California for a visit. He had just seen this movie out there that had gained "Cult" status, and we just absolutely had to see it. (No, it wasn't Rocky Horror Picture Show either.) The whole time we sat there watching that movie my wife and I kept wondering, "When do we get to the punch line?"

Has anyone seen "The Gods Must Be Crazy"?

My sympathies.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Has anyone seen "The Gods Must Be Crazy"?

My sympathies.

That's over 2 hours of my life that I'm never getting back and I had to wait in line for it, too.

I forgot about the time I was on Winter Break and talking to someone from high school about bad roommates. He was complaining about having an engineering major when he didn't know that I was engineering physics. So I told him, "That's nothing mine is a psychology major." He didn't like that since he was a psych major,

It's been over a decade since I saw the movie, I think, but I remember chuckling more than groaning. There's no accounting for taste, of course, but I think it's also a matter of type of humor. If you don't like the kind in the film, you'll hate it; if you do, you'll be laughing regularly.

—Alorael, who mostly remembers wondering what happened to the San actor. As it turns out, it's all now on Wikipedia, and there are worse stories of exploitation.

Originally Posted By: Trenton the Crazed Twilight Teen
Wow. The topic drifted from embarrassing moments to movies in under 20 posts? That's a first in the time I have joined. Its almost as if someone WANTED to change the topic...

Surely there have been other instances of topic drift in the past two years!

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Originally Posted By: Trenton the Crazed Twilight Teen
Wow. The topic drifted from embarrassing moments to movies in under 20 posts? That's a first in the time I have joined. Its almost as if someone WANTED to change the topic...

Surely there have been other instances of topic drift in the past two years!

There have been many topics that drifted from the original topic to that of topic drift. I think that only happens when no one knows where the drifting should go.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
I think Spiderweb avoids topic drift more than most places. Our threads often result in some meta-drift (like this post, for instance), but we don't just have someone go:

Quote:
This thread is now about kittens.
1229205811364.jpg

And everyone just hops on the band wagon.

Oh my god. Oh my god. OH MY GOD!
So adorable! Holy [censored]. D:
Kittens are adorable normally...but that...is beyond normal cuteness. I'm getting tears in my eyes now.