A-EftP - iPad version is out

Originally Posted By: wasbear
It seems a bit unfair that Avernum is released on the iPad for $10 while the same game is $20 on PC/Mac. You're paying double just for using a different platform.

There was a big thing about this when Avadon came out for the iPad for $10 too. The thing to remember is that Jeff doesn't really get to choose his pricing when selling on stores that aren't his own. Also, as Randomizer said, the game is customisable when you buy direct from Spiderweb, whereas the MAS version isn't. There's also the fact that you're getting the game a good few months earlier (if you're playing on the Mac) too.

For me, the bottom line is that $20 amounts to about two hours wage. Working two hours for around 20-30 hours of solid, enjoyable gameplay is very much worthwhile, so I don't mind paying the extra, and, if I want the game on my iPad (like I did for Avadon), I'm just sacrificing something like a pint next time I go out.

(As an aside, if the $20 does seem like it'd put you off buying, wait for Avernum to be released for Steam; it's likely that it'll be at the $10 mark, and Steam are always doing offers. I think Avadon was at $5 for a good long while, and it's available on Mac and PC that way.)

I'm pretty sure Jeff gets to set his iPad price himself, actually. But he's pricing to compete on that platform; no one would buy it for $20. On full computers that's a reasonable price.

—Alorael, who's willing to pay that premium to not have to play the game on a touch screen. (And, for full disclosure, because he does not have an iPad.)

Jeff talked about the challenges of app store pricing in a blog last year. Regardless of the playtime and quality, app store purchasers are now so used to 1.99 app prices that it's a very hard sell to get them to pay more for a game. He found that 9.99 was the highest he could charge, and there are still people who complain about that being too much.

Personally, I've always felt that the 25$ Mac platform price was a huge steal given the higher than average quality and months (for me) of playtime. Compared to paying upwards of 50$ for games like Halo that I finished in two weeks, I just shake my head when I hear complaints of spiderweb games costing too much.

With the apparent success of the iPad platform, steam and now humble bundle, I hope Jeff makes it up on volume. Thats always a huge risk, though.

Originally Posted By: nikki.
Holding your finger on people/creatures should display their name above their head/head analogue.

Ah, it does, thanks. However, is that the only option? It also initiates a conversation with the person when I lift my finger. I'm used to pressing tab when approaching a group to see who they are and deciding which one to talk to. If I have to touch each character then I'm committed to talking to him right there.

This is a minor quibble, though. If its the way the game is on iPad, I can get used to it and adapt my play strategy. I just knew spiderweb games would lend themselves well to a touch interface, and it's proving true. I'm loving it very much.

Originally Posted By: Xoanon
Originally Posted By: wasbear
It seems a bit unfair that Avernum is released on the iPad for $10 while the same game is $20 on PC/Mac. You're paying double just for using a different platform.

That's why the good lord invented torrents.
We do NOT advocate piracy of any kind on these boards. It is in direct violation of the code of conduct. Consider this an official warning from the moderating team.

This was an instant download for me. My first ever post on this forum was a few years ago when I asked if Exile was going to be available for my iPhone. I poured hours of my teenage years into playing the original Exile 1 game. I'm sooooooo pleased that this great game now has a version for the iPad. smile

Originally Posted By: scottree
I'm enjoying the ipad version of the game immensely, but is there a chance that the text will be converted to "retinal" text? Reading the fuzzy text on my ipad 3 is sort of making my eyes hurt.

That requires a development tool to convert the text to the new resolution. It wasn't available at the time this port was made.

Originally Posted By: jetcitywoman
Hmm, it's not fuzzy on my iPad 1

Nor on my iPad 2, but the new iPad has a retina display like the iPhone 4/4s, which means that it supports a higher resolution. I would guess that apps on that look fuzzier than they do on the iPad 1/2, at least judging from the many updates I've been getting saying that apps have been updated for the new iPad's display.