A:EftP - Writing a faq on party creation, Thoughts are welcome

The reasons i post a faq are,

1-It gives the company more reknown. I usually only do this when i actually know what im talking about and i when i really like the company.

2-Alot of people are very lazy and simply dont have the time nor dont know to go to strategy central. I know that because i started out that way. Most people usually just go to gamefaqs.

3-Im interpreting the classes in a way that is different from what you guys are doing.

4-It gives me something to write/type and hopefully will give someone a new way of playing the game.

The main reason i wrote a gamefaqs faq on Blades of Avernum was because of the same reasons. I wouldnt write a faq if i wasnt at least partially good at the game. While i admit im not like some of you guys with torment difficulty but Im trying smile

@Death Knight: I also found Tcheedchee's statement odd and confusing. I think the point is that an FAQ should be about making an optimized party, i.e. weighing various options and mixtures thereof against one another. How to play the game well. If a player wishes to ignore optimization partially or completely in the name of role-playing, that's their prerogative, and there's nothing wrong with doing so, but it's not as if they need an FAQ to tell them how do that.

Originally Posted By: Othar Trygvassen: Gentleman
@Death Knight: I also found Tcheedchee's statement odd and confusing. I think the point is that an FAQ should be about making an optimized party, i.e. weighing various options and mixtures thereof against one another. How to play the game well. If a player wishes to ignore optimization partially or completely in the name of role-playing, that's their prerogative, and there's nothing wrong with doing so, but it's not as if they need an FAQ to tell them how do that.

Now I understand a bit better. I think I didn't make myself clear so well. I do think optimization is important, but from Jerakeen's remark I got the impression, that J. was of the opinion, that there is just ONE way to play. And I don't understand the reason for a faq, if that was so. Isn't the faq meant to suggest certain combinations and party builds? And how about the different strategical approaches to the fights? I think, there's more than one…

Im doing the faq with the approach to character creation/party builds, and different types of parties. There are many different types of character builds and quite a few party types.

Im going into which party is better is better at what. So for example, a party with 3 priests and an archer is very different from a party with 3 fighters and a priest/mage. Each party is good at certain things better.

This will help people who want to play the game differently and new ways of doing it. Im currently playing the game with 2 priests, 1 mage and a fighter who uses dual swords. This party is good at taking out low resistance enemies and allowing my fighter to mop up the rest. This is very different than say a party with all melee or all ranged users.

Each party is unique with how they fight, each has strengths and weaknesses. Its kind of like the party creation faq for original avernum3, the difference is that it goes more into detail about how to make it and what works with each build.

For a FAQ to be useful, it needs to tell you what works better. The whole point is to present information about the game. It can certainly present multiple options if there are multiple options that work well. But if one is objectively better, a FAQ ought to say so, or else it is misleading.

For example, any FAQ that says "archery is unplayable" is lying, but so is a FAQ that says "archers deals damage just as effectively as dual wielders and magicians." The better statement: "Archery is playable, although it tends to fall behind dual wielding and magic in terms of its damage output and overall usefulness, especially later in the game." This makes it clear that if you enjoy using archers or want to role-play one, you can have one in your party without a problem, but if you want to min-max a party for Torment, they are not your best option.

Honestly, most of the FAQs that cover Spiderweb games on GameFAQs give shoddy advice about character builds, and often make untrue statements about mechanics. Advice about party composition generally seems to be more about what would seem cool to the author, and less about what is actually powerful in the game engine -- but it is almost always presented as the latter.

Ok that makes sense. Then i will keep that in mind,and will do it from the case that you mention. To be completely honest though, i will state that dual-wielding and all the other powerful cases are more powerful, but i am not going to not list the other possible outlets such as polearms and such. Ill just place more emphasis on what works the best.

Originally Posted By: Tcheedchee
... but from Jerakeen's remark I got the impression, that J. was of the opinion, that there is just ONE way to play.

That's pretty much the opposite of what I said. In fact I'm firmly in the 'suboptimal but fun' camp when it comes to character building - but then I play on Normal.

In the Torment play-through I'm just starting, I'll probably be more judicious. Assuming I don't just get frustrated and quit when Droknarr hands me my backside. cry